Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

Pancreas

Reaction score
Are These 59,s we all have really ltd edition guitars,(apart from the Lazarus 59 which was a limited run) does anyone know the numbers,
uk seem to have been restocked,Andertons showing 10 plus of adcb and adb ,along with other uk stores seems to be an everlasting supply
"Limited Edition" is Marketing lingo for "until sales slow down" this is probably one of the best selling guitars Epiphone has released in a while. I don't suspect they would want to stifle sales...... just a guess.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Honestly I hope they make this one of the line up they offer. Adding a 1 piece neck to these it could easily become one of their higher end guitar for some time to come. Wouldn't bother me cause I buy these to play not collect....

Arbuilder

Reaction score
Has anyone added a faber aged nickel bridge and tailpiece . Just wanting to see what it might look like on mine.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Has anyone added a faber aged nickel bridge and tailpiece . Just wanting to see what it might look like on mine.
I did the Aged Nickel on my JB Laz a few months back...
faber bridge pieces 07.jpg
Jb 59 finished 01.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
Thanks looks good. already ordered the aged nickel bridge and tail. My 59 lemonburst.
They look a lot more aged in person I think. That one pic of the full guitar it does still look a little shiny ?? I have prob 5-6 sets of these Faber kits on my Lps. I have learned the hard way that Gold and the Nickel isn't the way to go. I buy Aged Nickel for everything from now on. I think it just looks better.. Good luck to you man. Did you get the raw brass saddles or the plated? I usually go with the raw brass saddles gives it that vintage vibe...
Faber Bridge pieces 01.jpg

barryf

Reaction score
Thanks looks good. already ordered the aged nickel bridge and tail. My 59 lemonburst.
I hope you ordered the bridge studs as well, as they are needed. I ordered the gloss versions but then had to order the studs separately.

Arbuilder

Reaction score
I ordered brass saddles, steel bushing for tail, new studs for bridge and tail. I thought I may as well do it all while I got it tore down.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I ordered brass saddles, steel bushing for tail, new studs for bridge and tail. I thought I may as well do it all while I got it tore down.
Yeah thats what i did too. You are going to like the set up it's nice..

D_Rowell

Reaction score
Since the other thread was about Epiphone building this guitar and also had a lot of non Epiphone posts throughout. I thought it would be cool to start a new one for owners or people who might be looking to purchase. Lets keep this one about the 59's.

Please feel free to post pictures of your 59’s, likes, dislikes, mods you are thinking about, music you play with it or whatever.

Here's mine:

View attachment 486300

And the fretboard:

View attachment 486301
I bought one a couple years ago when all my gigs were outdoors and I didn’t want to subject my more expensive Gibsons to various weather conditions. I had never been much of a LP player - previously owned a Gibson LP Special DC and an Epiphone LP plus top. I got intrigued by the specs and look of the ‘59 Epi standard of was very pleased with what a good guitar it is. The only thing I changed were the tuners - the stock ones had trouble holding pitch. I replaced them with similar looking Knutson which work much better. I’m mainly a jazz player and I found this guitar is fine for jazz, as well as rock, and blues. I really like the Gibson pickups, CT’S pots, the finish, the beefy neck. I think I talked myself into taking it to the rehearsal tonight.
Since the other thread was about Epiphone building this guitar and also had a lot of non Epiphone posts throughout. I thought it would be cool to start a new one for owners or people who might be looking to purchase. Lets keep this one about the 59's.

Please feel free to post pictures of your 59’s, likes, dislikes, mods you are thinking about, music you play with it or whatever.

Here's mine:

View attachment 486300

And the fretboard:

View attachment 486301
I recently bought an Epiphone 1959 Standard Les Paul that I am quite happy with. I have been playing for 55 years and have several nice Gibsons electrics: ES175, ES275, ES335, LP Special DC. I have stayed away from LPs in part because i found them uncomfortable to play - weight and balance. I have had to adjust playing position - sitting - strap and footstool - so as not to kill my back. This one is 9.3 pounds. I do find I really like this guitar, though! Well built, good fit and finish, looks great, sounds wonderful. I find the neck comfortable. I just put on Stringjoy 10.5 to 50 strings and may do a slight truss rod adjustment and lower the bridge a little more - minor setup tweaks. I play mostly jazz, so I go for clean tone or slight tube overdrive through tube amps - 50s Fender Pro, 65 Deluxe Reverb, tweed Champ clone that I built from a kit.. I also have a Henrikson jazz amp, but this is my least favorite with the LP. These days I have been mainly playing online through and audio interface and Macbook pro so I use a pedalboard for reverb and tube drive. I love the variety of tones I can get from just the pickup selection and volume and tone pots on the guitar. LPs are not just for overdriven rock!
View attachment 514195 View attachment 514196 View attachment 514197
Still enjoying mine!

Attachments

• 8CF13CD1-31B2-437C-8D3C-1E44A36C7274.jpeg
    8CF13CD1-31B2-437C-8D3C-1E44A36C7274.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 16

rbraad68

Reaction score
I bought one a couple years ago when all my gigs were outdoors and I didn’t want to subject my more expensive Gibsons to various weather conditions. I had never been much of a LP player - previously owned a Gibson LP Special DC and an Epiphone LP plus top. I got intrigued by the specs and look of the ‘59 Epi standard of was very pleased with what a good guitar it is. The only thing I changed were the tuners - the stock ones had trouble holding pitch. I replaced them with similar looking Knutson which work much better. I’m mainly a jazz player and I found this guitar is fine for jazz, as well as rock, and blues. I really like the Gibson pickups, CT’S pots, the finish, the beefy neck. I think I talked myself into taking it to the rehearsal tonight.

Still enjoying mine!
Did you polish the top on this thing? Great looking top for sure.....

syco

Reaction score
Definitely different than my dirty lemon .

Attachments

• IMG_7743.JPG
    IMG_7743.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 7

Stunics

Reaction score
Hello Epi 59 owners. I myself, am not (yet) an owner. I’m having doubts. I’m not sure about the Matt finish, and also I haven’t yet seen one that doesn’t look cheaply painted, I find it hard to like the way the dark colour doesn’t blend with the lighter colour. You see it all the time on cheaper guitars. Even some Gibson LP’s. Not something ima fan of. SO! Convince me, apart from the price, why should I buy one of these LPs over a Gibson standard? Don’t bite me, I’m really interested in why you all love them. I’d really like to hear your thoughts.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hello Epi 59 owners. I myself, am not (yet) an owner. I’m having doubts. I’m not sure about the Matt finish, and also I haven’t yet seen one that doesn’t look cheaply painted, I find it hard to like the way the dark colour doesn’t blend with the lighter colour. You see it all the time on cheaper guitars. Even some Gibson LP’s. Not something ima fan of. SO! Convince me, apart from the price, why should I buy one of these LPs over a Gibson standard? Don’t bite me, I’m really interested in why you all love them. I’d really like to hear your thoughts.
I understand what you are saying with the matt finish and all... But these guitars polish up nice man. For the money you put into one of these it's well worth it. Even if you upgrade the bridge and covert the bridge to the ABR system your still at around 1000-1050 . Thats not bad man I own 3 of these 59's and the JB Laz . Here are a couple pics of my ADB and Southern Fade polished up....
2 59's 011.jpg
59 ADB 01.jpg

Latest Threads