Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

DrBGood

Reaction score
A Nitro Finish on a Gibson allows the wood to breath more and be more resonant I am thinking, that is one of the big pluses for a Gibson's Finish comparing it to an Epiphone's Lacquer/Polly finish. So don't we want the body of a guitar to absorb and help the tone of the guitar, isn't that one of things a Les Paul is known for?
Forum tales ... uh ... MLP tales.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have read about this for years in many different places, so what is the big deal then about a thin Nitro Finish then compared to a Lacquer or Polly finish, just a big untrue Myth?

DrBGood

Reaction score
I have read about this for years in many different places, so what is the big deal then about a thin Nitro Finish then compared to a Lacquer or Polly finish, just a big untrue Myth?
If from the beginnings Gibson had a poly finish and Asian guitar had nitro, you can be sure that a thick poly coat would sound better.

Wood that breathes ? If wood on my guitar did breathe, that means that they would deform. The wood on a guitar is dead, no life, inert. The tree's been cut years ago, nothing left than fibers and air pockets more or less big in the grain. Stable material is what you want/need on an instrument that has to stay in tune. If that material did inspire and expire, you can be sure so would your intonation and tuning.

I now might get exorcised ...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hmmm. I myself do believe the Nitro finish Hype, that it soaks in over time and helps improve the tone. Maybe not a ton of a difference but that is part of the reason the older guitars have a better tone and just really sound different and better. Not all mind you, sure there are some that are dogs, just like any guitar maker, there are great ones and ok ones as well as bad ones. I have a new Gibson coming tomorrow and I hope I get a great one, my last Gibson guitar that I ordered was not so good.

I really love my 59 Lazarus, my JC Wino, such sweet and great guitars. But I also totally love my Gibson Les Paul's. All my guitars have different weights, necks, pickups and they all are fantastic and sound different. So much fun to have a lot of choices each and every day/hour of the day when I play.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hmmm. I myself do believe the Nitro finish Hype, that it soaks in over time and helps improve the tone. Maybe not a ton of a difference but that is part of the reason the older guitars have a better tone and just really sound different and better. Not all mind you, sure there are some that are dogs, just like any guitar maker, there are great ones and ok ones as well as bad ones. I have a new Gibson coming tomorrow and I hope I get a great one, my last Gibson guitar that I ordered was not so good.

I really love my 59 Lazarus, my JC Wino, such sweet and great guitars. But I also totally love my Gibson Les Paul's. All my guitars have different weights, necks, pickups and they all are fantastic and sound different. So much fun to have a lot of choices each and every day/hour of the day when I play.
I believe in tone woods and that each guitar has it's own voice. This Gold top i am doing now resontes really well and tends to have a bright " voice " to it. The BB's 2 n 3 i had put in this thing were really bright and shrill sounding. I decided to give these pearly gates a shot see if it warms it up a tad...

xAx1s

Reaction score
Which pickups are in that beauty?

Finally found out the pickups are from Q pickups in Croatia. One of their handwound PAF sets.

They do sound pretty good.

As for sustain, I just mean the note holds a crazy amount of time before dying off, either unplugged, digital, or an Amp. Maybe it's just an LP thing, I'm fairly new to them.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Finally found out the pickups are from Q pickups in Croatia. One of their handwound PAF sets.

They do sound pretty good.

As for sustain, I just mean the note holds a crazy amount of time before dying off, either unplugged, digital, or an Amp. Maybe it's just an LP thing, I'm fairly new to them.
Yeah man you really did good on that guitar!! Hang onto that man. If you ever decide to get rid of it please let me know...

Spirit

Reaction score
Are These 59,s we all have really ltd edition guitars,(apart from the Lazarus 59 which was a limited run) does anyone know the numbers,
uk seem to have been restocked,Andertons showing 10 plus of adcb and adb ,along with other uk stores seems to be an everlasting supply

rbraad68

Reaction score
I don't thhink they are going to be limited at all !! Now i am seeing that GC is going to start offering the Lemon Drop version of this model . I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon...

littlelio

Reaction score
Just noticed this topic so I think it is necessary to post to remember it:

Epiphone Les Paul '59 in Aged Lemon Burst​

2022-07-21 081236(1).jpg 2022-07-21 081236.jpg

I saw it on Andertons youtube, and luckily a friend is selling it, at a very reasonable price. So I took it.

To be honest, I was mad by Epiphone recently. My Epi LP 1955 P90 (in another post) had some issue. The frets have sprouts and it almost cut my fingers. It is due to the shrinkage of the fretboard, but initially, the fret finish was sloppy anyway. - UPDATE I got a filer and very fine sanding papers to polish the fret edges and they are fine now!

But this 1959 attracted me and I took the bite.

It turned out well. This guitar is much better made, since paied attention on the frets. Maybe 5% of the frets is not perfect, but mostly of them are fine. I can see the filer marks on the edge. I can not say the fret work is top notch, but they are good.

I think Epiphone gets better. For its price, this is one nice guitar to play with!

Now only the headstock shape may put me off, however everything else is very nice. With Gibson pickups, the sound is very much Les Paul. I doubt the re-sale value can be high, but hey, I got it second hand so nothing to lose!

rbraad68

Reaction score
One piece neck makes difference, by sound?

I hope the answer is no to help me to have a peace of mind...
Personally man I like the scarf joints of the 59's always have. The 1 piece neck to me doesn't make a diff in how my JB plays or sounds compared to my 59's. There are some that would argue to differ but hey each is own right ?? My Chibson has a 1 piece neck lol ....

rbraad68

Reaction score
Yes there is difference but maybe nothing to do with tone :D
Well there's always the 2800 dollar Gibson if you are worried about a 1 piece neck. OR just enjoy your 59 and use the money you saved for a nice amp. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest....

Spirit

Reaction score
Love the way the top changes according to the light ,lovely cross checking to the grain

Attachments

• DF2B1412-492E-4A20-8960-F2D6733F9003.jpeg
    DF2B1412-492E-4A20-8960-F2D6733F9003.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 81ADAC87-036B-4932-B25B-4C23D9290613.jpeg
    81ADAC87-036B-4932-B25B-4C23D9290613.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 28

Latest Threads