Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

Dred

Reaction score
"Big Trouble in Little China...!!"
My fear of what may happen to my 59" has happened.

Without any reason whatsoever that I know of, my beloved 59" has developed (2) neck cracks, (1) on either side, that run down the neck about 2-3" starting behind the head nut. I don't know if these are stress cracks in the finish, or if these go into the wood. I'll include photos.
Of all of my Epi's...(2) have these same cracks. One is a 2013 LP Tribute, the other is a 2019 ES-335 Pro. The reason I was able to get these (2) Scratch and Dent guitars was because of the cracks. In both cases the luthier in the store checked them out and said they were only in the finish. Two weeks ago I was changing the strings on the ES-335, when the head nut popped off. To my dismay...the neck was indeed cracked. It's repaired and resting comfortably. Both guitars have the slim 60's neck profile. Part of the reason why the 59' appealed to be was the thicker neck and I believed that my 59' would be immune to this.
The 59" was purchased 3/29/2021 and is still under warranty. The rep from Sweetwater has sent me a shipping label and I spent most of this morning packaging it up for the trip back to Sweetwater...but I have a problem.
First...I've become really attached to this guitar and if it goes back and is found it indeed is a crack...then I'll never see it again, as we all know what happens to guitars once they go into the scrap pile.
Secondly...Sweetwater is out of stock on all of them...no matter the color. I would like to at least be able to see what it will be replaced with before I send her back. My issue too...is that Epiphone has been having problems with keeping certain guitars in stock...the Alex Lifeson Axcess is a great example, in fact we may never see them again this year.
So...I didn't ship her. If I can keep her...I will.
Any suggestions..?? Help..!!
Dred

Attachments

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thought you might have been slightly overstating. Nope. That’s a real deal issue. Hate it for you.

rbraad68

Reaction score

Without any reason whatsoever that I know of, my beloved 59" has developed (2) neck cracks, (1) on either side, that run down the neck about 2-3" starting behind the head nut. I don't know if these are stress cracks in the finish, or if these go into the wood. I'll include photos.
Of all of my Epi's...(2) have these same cracks. One is a 2013 LP Tribute, the other is a 2019 ES-335 Pro. The reason I was able to get these (2) Scratch and Dent guitars was because of the cracks. In both cases the luthier in the store checked them out and said they were only in the finish. Two weeks ago I was changing the strings on the ES-335, when the head nut popped off. To my dismay...the neck was indeed cracked. It's repaired and resting comfortably. Both guitars have the slim 60's neck profile. Part of the reason why the 59' appealed to be was the thicker neck and I believed that my 59' would be immune to this.
The 59" was purchased 3/29/2021 and is still under warranty. The rep from Sweetwater has sent me a shipping label and I spent most of this morning packaging it up for the trip back to Sweetwater...but I have a problem.
First...I've become really attached to this guitar and if it goes back and is found it indeed is a crack...then I'll never see it again, as we all know what happens to guitars once they go into the scrap pile.
Secondly...Sweetwater is out of stock on all of them...no matter the color. I would like to at least be able to see what it will be replaced with before I send her back. My issue too...is that Epiphone has been having problems with keeping certain guitars in stock...the Alex Lifeson Axcess is a great example, in fact we may never see them again this year.
Dred
there is a guy on ebay selling these 59 husks with the same exact problem. there is also a guy on this forum who has bought a couple of these guitar with the cracks. i have a friend who just bought one off the ebay site selling them. I'm guessing this is not an isolated issue with these 59's .. Not sure what they are doing to fix these cracks but they seem to be fine once fixed... i would return the guitar and get a new one only because you paid for a new guitar. Otherwise do some research and figure out what these guys are doing to fix this problem.. good luck to you man hope you get it all sorted out.

USTTRM

Reaction score

Dred
I’m glad this was brought to everyone’s attention and sorry it happened to you. Yes you can see a stress fracture from the nut on both sides. I would see if you can get some cash back and put it towards it being refinished and that nut reseated by your luthier.
When you bond you gotta hold on.
Weird so many are available here in the EU and not the states.

Dred

Reaction score
I checked out the seller on E-bay with the "Husks" for sale.
While there were a few different manufacturers...ESP, Jackson, Gretch, Kramer and even a couple of Gibsons...
I was surprised to see mostly, for whatever reason, quite a few Epi's. I'm not saying that Epi's are prone to this...perhaps it is just the marketing range that the seller works within. But what caught me, was the range of Les Paul's that had the exact same issue..the issue being the crack, I'm beginning to think it is a crack in the neck and not in just the finish, starting in the exact same place...the inner corner where the neck edge of the head nut sits and angling out at almost a 45 degree angle. At first I was hoping being that the crack wasn't following the grain, it was a finish issue, but it looks like it may be where the joint itself is...starting at it's weakest point.
But again what caught me...was the range of different Epi LP models that were effected. From 59's, 60's, Slash's, Moderns, Specials, Studios...there was even a Nancy Wilson Nighthawk.

Now again...this may not be a major issue with New Epi's. Being the vast number of these being sold, it's difficult to say if this is issue is endemic. While it does concern me that this happened to mine with absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happening to my guitar. In fact...after acclimation it's been either in my hands...or in the stand and not even out of the house. What ever happened...it happened on it's own.
Dred

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm actually planning on buying one of these husks with the cracks lol !! I'm not all that worried about the cracks as it appears to be just finish cracks. Prob take some steel wool to the back of the neck and get most of that out?? I deff would not be a happy camper paying for a new one of these and having this happen but buying one already in this condition for almost half the price of a new one... Totally diff story.

USTTRM

Reaction score
I checked out the seller on E-bay with the "Husks" for sale.
While there were a few different manufacturers...ESP, Jackson, Gretch, Kramer and even a couple of Gibsons...
I was surprised to see mostly, for whatever reason, quite a few Epi's. I'm not saying that Epi's are prone to this...perhaps it is just the marketing range that the seller works within. But what caught me, was the range of Les Paul's that had the exact same issue..the issue being the crack, I'm beginning to think it is a crack in the neck and not in just the finish, starting in the exact same place...the inner corner where the neck edge of the head nut sits and angling out at almost a 45 degree angle. At first I was hoping being that the crack wasn't following the grain, it was a finish issue, but it looks like it may be where the joint itself is...starting at it's weakest point.
But again what caught me...was the range of different Epi LP models that were effected. From 59's, 60's, Slash's, Moderns, Specials, Studios...there was even a Nancy Wilson Nighthawk.

Now again...this may not be a major issue with New Epi's. Being the vast number of these being sold, it's difficult to say if this is issue is endemic. While it does concern me that this happened to mine with absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happening to my guitar. In fact...after acclimation it's been either in my hands...or in the stand and not even out of the house. What ever happened...it happened on it's own.
Dred
Side note. You have a fantastic collection sir! Good golly miss molly!

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to see mostly, for whatever reason, quite a few Epi's.
Just speculation, not understating the issue, but could be the reason he has so many is that he has an inside contact and easy access to them. I have a friend who does this with boats. One comes out of the mold with a minor flaw, he gets a call.

Dred

Reaction score
Side note. You have a fantastic collection sir! Good golly miss molly!
Well thank you...They are all Epi's and I love them all.
Over the years...I've played hundreds of guitars. And as most of you can attest to, not a one of them has played, felt or sounded the same. Each responding differently in their own unique way. And yes...as a result you become attached to them. What further adds to this...is that I'm tone searching. Now that most of my playing, especially during Covid has been in my home studio...a place where even the smallest of sonic differences comes thru in amazing clarity and detail...they become more than just a tool. My now "Cream" Custom, the 6th guitar made from the Qingdao plant is totally different than the Black 2009 Custom...mostly in weight, the Cream comes in at almost 10 lbs., which is again different than the 2013 Tribute. The ES-335 and the Sheraton, both 2019's are vastly different from each other. And we could start an entirely new forum on the Alex Lifeson Axcess...which is a musical platform all of it's own.
But the 59" Standard stands on it's own. As I've discussed before in an earlier post, it's the culmination of many things that sets this guitar apart from all others.
I believe what I'm going to do, is to hold on to this one until I'm able to talk to the people at Sweetwater...I need to find out a few things.
1.) Is where the crack located, at the same location of a neck joint. We already know it's the weakest part of the guitar. It's why Gibson used volutes in their neck designs for ES-335's and LP's from 1969 to 1981.
2.) What is Epiphone saying about this.
3.) What is the Sweetwater's status on receiving more of these.
4.) And are there options that would allow me to keep this one and still be compensated under the warranty.

I appreciate the input you guys have given me up to this point...and please continue to do so.
We'll see how this goes..!
Dred

Dred

Reaction score
Just speculation, not understating the issue, but could be the reason he has so many is that he has an inside contact and easy access to them. I have a friend who does this with boats. One comes out of the mold with a minor flaw, he gets a call.
Yea...I thought about that. That's why I made the comment about it being in the marketing range, it would also include access to these particular instruments. On that same thought...you made me remember, I used to know a guy that back in the day, would visit the dumpster back behind the local Guitar Center on a regular basis. Seriously...what he would bring home could start your own second hand, Scratch and Dent Music Store...!! lol

voided76

Reaction score
there's quite a few floating around with those right-at-the-nut cracks in the neck.

I have not found a single reason why that's a horrible thing unless you simply must have a 100% never been messed with collectors item guitar.

My 1959 is cracked at the nut in the same two spots. it got glued, and I clearcoat brushed over it, wet 1000 grit, and polished it all down. took a risk and beat down all the orangepeel. god it looks good.

....If you like a big fucking glass of tang. lol. that paint man.

Screenshot_20210922-000548_Gallery.jpg

In other news. I finished my fade cherry limited edition finish 2020 Epiphone 1959.
Gotoh Nashville bridge, gibson (advanced plating) lightweight stopbar, grover deluxe all nickel tuners, tonerider PAF alnico 2's, gunstreet jimmy page wiring harness. orangedrop caps, switchcraft everything else. It is: Outstanding.

Last edited:

ben2e

Reaction score
voided76 nice looking shine on that top.

I just got my '59. MF said next Spring but it shipped in just a couple weeks. Nicer than I expected. I had even started shopping USA LP Std's but no longer. At least for now I'm going to enjoy this one. at 8lbs 9oz which is rare for a USA LP (or at least a small minority). Wonder why other than multi-piece bodies on the '59.

What's the consensus best way to polish it ? I don't need it to be super-gloss and am happy with a lower effort lower shine (hopefully safer from me sanding through the finish) method ? I know there's another ultra long '59 thread with endless photos. Is there a good summary somewhere ?

Latest Threads