Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

xmacvicar

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of one of these as well. I really wanted the Aged Dark Burst, but all 3 I tried locally had issues out of the box - high frets, weird finish issues, just too plain of a top, etc. I passed on them and picked up a Cherry instead. Oddly, this guitar was mint off the wall - but its not the finish I really wanted. Oh well. I wasn’t 100% sold on ADB but, it is what I had my eye on.

Mine has a lot of flame, but the burst Is very ‘hard/rigid’. I’ve seen pics of the southern fades that look like exact high end Gibson tops’. Lucky buggers who ended up with those!

90317936-7B14-4AC4-BB34-233D57B7AE55.jpeg

notTHEwillienelson

Reaction score
This might ruffle a few feathers, so apologies in advance. Here's my '59 Southern Fade. I polished the top and headstock with Megiuar's Scratch X as well. ReWind '59 PAF-1 A4 set in double cream. Bridge and tailpiece including inserts replaced with Faber master kit. Looks, plays, and sounds an awful lot like a Gibson CS '59 in Iced Tea Burst to me.

20210801_114340-01.jpeg

20210801_114321-01.jpeg

20210801_114330-01.jpeg

Seven

Reaction score
This might ruffle a few feathers, so apologies in advance. Here's my '59 Southern Fade. I polished the top and headstock with Megiuar's Scratch X as well. ReWind '59 PAF-1 A4 set in double cream. Bridge and tailpiece including inserts replaced with Faber master kit. Looks, plays, and sounds an awful lot like a Gibson CS '59 in Iced Tea Burst to me.

View attachment 552778
View attachment 552779
View attachment 552780
The double creams look absolutely killer on that. :dude:

Secreature

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of one of these as well. I really wanted the Aged Dark Burst, but all 3 I tried locally had issues out of the box - high frets, weird finish issues, just too plain of a top, etc. I passed on them and picked up a Cherry instead. Oddly, this guitar was mint off the wall - but its not the finish I really wanted. Oh well. I wasn’t 100% sold on ADB but, it is what I had my eye on.

Mine has a lot of flame, but the burst Is very ‘hard/rigid’. I’ve seen pics of the southern fades that look like exact high end Gibson tops’. Lucky buggers who ended up with those!

View attachment 552525
That looks great! I originally wanted the dark burst but am so happy with the aged dark cherry. Can’t go wrong with the cherry, it’s just a classic look!

Mickerty

Reaction score
Hello there!

Has anyone had any issues with the pickup selector? At one point in my practice tonight it failed to select the neck going totally dead. I gave it a few back and forths and eventually it worked. Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been.

Cheers

USTTRM

Reaction score
Hello there!

Has anyone had any issues with the pickup selector? At one point in my practice tonight it failed to select the neck going totally dead. I gave it a few back and forths and eventually it worked. Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been.

Cheers
When I took mine to the luthier he found one of the pots was loose so a loose connection can’t be ruled out.

Seven

Reaction score
Hello there!

Cheers
The Chinese soldering is shit. Mine was a complete disaster.

rbraad68

Reaction score

View attachment 552778
View attachment 552779
View attachment 552780
OH yeah that looks great man!! I like the double cream it suits that finish well!! I see you went with the Faber kit as well.
I did the Faber master kit on mine with the 3 titanium and 3 brass saddles. Made all the diff in the world sound/tone wise woke those burst buckers right!! Took the covers off the burst buckers too!!!

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
no problems here.

I played on these for the last few hours. I feel the epi sounds superior to the tribute. it's just such an awesome fiddle. I've never played neck and middle position more. such a sweet sound.

View attachment 553833
i was trying to get one of those tributes but the guy at sweet water was saying september... Are they really close in playabilty? I know that the tribute is weight relief and no binding along the fretboard.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty close. the tribute feels like a bare bones rocker, which it is, and why I love it. the 59 feels more substantial of a fiddle. finishes feel kinda similar, but the epi needed some playing time for the neck to smooth up. the tribute was great out of the box.

Latest Threads