Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am interested into buying a 59. As a thumb over the top player it is very important to me if the neck is suited for that playstyle. Is the 50s or the 59 neck better for thumb over?
Why is it important to you to continue playing like that?

USTTRM

Reaction score
I took everythin off or poked it down into the holes like the volume and tone pots and toggle. The pickups I just used a few thick rags and moved them out of the way setting them on the rags as i did each area of the guitar. I also used the Meguiar's but used the Ultimate Compound cause that's all walmart had... I had org started on the back of the guitar because the back was all gritty feeling and i wanted to knock that down. Aweek or so later i did some work to the guitar and decided while i had it apart i would do the top of the guitar. I chose to do it by hand because i didn't want a supper high gloss!! I started off by just using a clean rag to apply the stuff and rub it out then a clean fine cloth to polish the guitar. I too ran into orange peel but found the more i went over it the less there was. The tight areas took a little more work. I found that after a while wetting the application rag and using that to rub the polish into the finish i was making faster progress and it started looking better too. I honestly like the way the guitar came out. I didn't do the back of the neck or head stock just the back and sides of the guitar... Hope this helps man good luck....
Excellent! Absolutely lovely looking instrument.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Excellent! Absolutely lovely looking instrument.
Thanks man !! I was suprised myself how well the guitar came out. The top was a rather plain top compared to others.. The polished really broght the colors out. I'm glad i did it....

Last edited:

JRSIV

Reaction score
the 59 neck is not the best choice for thumb over style i tried it and its not comfortable , the V shape as mentioned its ideal , if this is mainly your style i would suggest you to look for a strat
The neck on my 59 is the chunkiest neck I've ever owned. I've seen reviews and forum posts that will say it's "not as big as such & such" but it's stout to me, and I've got hands on the bigger side, long thin fingers, etc.

It's by no means a handicap and it's actually been interesting seeing what the adjustment has done to my playing on the 59. As @freddy78 and others have said it is not a Hendrixy lead/rhythm polymath neck. Just doing the thumb over shortcut barre chord thing is not happening, let alone anchoring the thumb all the way over for bend leverage, etc.

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK guys off subject here but a friend of mine in Florida has been bugging me to buy a chibson!! i have been telling him no for about a yr now. Well he decided to order me a honey burst 59 copy and let me pay him back over time.... this should be interesting to say the least!! i know im going to have rip all the electroinics out and prob all the harrware and tuners,,,, i will post a pic once i have one....

USTTRM

Reaction score
Yes they shine up real pretty
OK guys off subject here but a friend of mine in Florida has been bugging me to buy a chibson!! i have been telling him no for about a yr now. Well he decided to order me a honey burst 59 copy and let me pay him back over time.... this should be interesting to say the least!! i know im going to have rip all the electroinics out and prob all the harrware and tuners,,,, i will post a pic once i have one....
A chibby huh? Well I’m here to tell y’a..it’s ok.
Likely you’re going to have to do some fret work. Should be an hoot.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one is supposedly right off the boat. but yes, if it's another floor model, it will be returned.

USTTRM

Reaction score
Can’t take credit on the polish job this time. Had my luthier do it same time as the other work. Pictures don’t do it justice. These tops are great with a little work.

Begintermediate

Reaction score
NGD for me came earlier this week!

I'd been on the Sweetwater list for an Aged Dark Burst for a few months now, but then I noticed that some popped up in stock on zZounds last week. I took a chance and ordered the 2nd to last one (at a small discount to tempt me away from my Sweetwater coupon), and have had it in my hands for a few days now. Mine was born in March, 2021, so I'm not sure if that makes it "fresh off the boat" or "been kicking around a few months". I was a bit concerned that the box had been re-taped, but on close inspection I don't see any major issues, and according to zZounds support, mine was not listed as a re-stock. The jury is still out as to whether I'll be keeping it... on the one hand I can't completely trust that this one wasn't already bought & returned. On the other hand, I've found no evidence that it's even been played (the fingerprints in my pics are my own). I do have a little bit of fret buzz on the low E, but haven't yet gone over the neck or measured the frets - may just need a truss rod tweak and some new strings.

The Dark Burst is really my 2nd choice... I may also end up getting on the waiting list for an Aged Southern Fade, which to my eyes (based on pics here and elsewhere) just looks a bit more like what I imagine my dream vintage LP to be. I can't justify owning 2 Epi 59s (note: I don't mean I can't justify 2 LPs - there will be more in my future for sure!). But I do like the look of this one.

Regardless, this is a guitar that plays well above my ability, and it'll be a while before I can justify digging Gibby-deep into my wallet...

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
Starting to see these popping up in GC's used sections.

Been four or five in the last two weeks. From around $600 to $700 and have sold in a few days. Think there's two up there now?

No affiliation, just another option for those still looking...

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you and me are the same batch. I’m very pleased. A counter clockwise 1/4 turn on the rod cleaned me up. Congrats!

……and getting those strings off of there!!!
Major help

Last edited:

Latest Threads