Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Gotta treat yourself every now and then. Just as long as you can afford to.
I really can't. In order for this to work I'm going to have to borrow $300 for a month, or pawn my SG this morning to cover both!
I was starting to hope it was delayed until October. I had said it was paid for, because I had paid half, and had the other half put away, and didn't touch it. But when I decided to go for the EASTMAN, I figured I'd go into the EPI money to afford it, and would have it back by September,Cor October, and all would be good. However, I got the call the very same day as I was to pull the trigger on the Eastman, and am $359 short. I could pawn my SG, or my Reeves Custom 50 PS head, and have it back by October, but that would cost almost $80 in interest, Ach! What to do???!

Last edited:

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
they're looking good. Congrats to all who ordered one.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm buying my third guitar in four months, but no Epis. I'm disappointed in the Junior/Special veneer jobs, and the '59 holds no allure at all.

sdmusic15

Reaction score
I really can't. In order for this to work I'm going to have to borrow $300 for a month, or pawn my SG this morning to cover both!
I was starting to hope it was delayed until October. I had said it was paid for, because I had paid half, and had the other half put away, and didn't touch it. But when I decided to go for the EASTMAN, I figured I'd go into the EPI money to afford it, and would have it back by September,Cor October, and all would be good. However, I got the call the very same day as I was to pull the trigger on the Eastman, and am $359 short. I could pawn my SG, or my Reeves Custom 50 PS head, and have it back by October, but that would cost almost $80 in interest, Ach! What to do???!
Perhaps see if Sam Ash does any credit? You should be able to pay it off interest free within a couple months

Geezer101

Reaction score
You’ve been waiting all this time for the 59 so get that and enjoy it. You only want the Eastman because this came up in this thread and you thought the 59 was delayed indefinitely. Ditch the Eastman for now despite it being a good deal.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Perhaps see if Sam Ash does any credit? You should be able to pay it off interest free within a couple months
I thought about it, but I owe a lot of old hospital bills, and am on a fixed income, but I think it's worth a try!

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Well, I learned if the Eastman while researching the 59, that is true, but after Darrell Braun's, and the Lucas Fowler review, along with the hundreds I've watched, or read, I am absolutely in love with what I believe to be one of the highest quality guitars made anywhere on Earth today. And for $1500 00? I doubt I'll ever see another new one at that price! The top isn't as perfect as Darrell Braun's, but it's very unique, with the downward tiger stripes for the top of the body,to below the bridge, but then,( it may be the angle) it's a little plain, but I think it's very unique, and Arcger069 thinks it's a beautiful top, and even though I could save $300, and get a sunburst without the hand French polishing vintage finish, abdvSDv59's instead of the Antiquities, and the top looks like Seven's top, Archer thinks I should go for the Vintage model, so I will have to come up with $300 today, and the Oaw. Shop seems my only chance!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
@Ebb Ramone sounds to me like you’re buying two pieces either of which could be turned into cash in a day. Both nice pieces. Buying good stuff is seldom a gamble. I’ve been burned way more buying bargains on a whim that weren’t really bargains. The good stuff always flips. I think you’re safe.

Maccamoto

Reaction score
Personally if i cant really afford something and am stretched to make it work, it takes the fun from it and then it very quickly becomes a burden. If it were me, i’d be making a choice on the one i preferred (sound/looks/playability).

Reaction score
Honestly when I look at that top straight on in the second picture I'm not really digging it. I want to see what a honey burst looks like.
I'm interested to see how it looks in person. The side angle is better than the front for sure, but I find that veneers vary a lot by angle in person.

I got this one for $696 with shipping (but before tax) so I'm pretty happy. I have a bunch of higher-end guitars and was looking for something in this range to care about a little less, that didn't have thick poly, and a decent set of pickups.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
@Ebb Ramone sounds to me like you’re buying two pieces either of which could be turned into cash in a day. Both nice pieces. Buying good stuff is seldom a gamble. I’ve been burned way more buying bargains on a whim that weren’t really bargains. The good stuff always flips. I think you’re safe.
I hope you're right. If the owner of Rudy's in New York wasn't such a nice lady, I'd wait until October when the new ones ship, and I'd probably have a choice at a perfect top, but there's no telling how much it would be, probably at least $1800, and no guarantee I'd get a better top, and they be Lollar imperials, and Seymour winds, and signs every Antiquity, and from what I understand, the Lollar's are not hand scatter wound, and are potted. I've made up my mind unless I find out something negative about this particular guitar, and after waiting since 1/27/20 for the Epi, Into not letting go of it. I'm gonna do what I have to to get both TODAY!

HEP ME, HEP ME, I BEEN HYPNOTIZED!!!!

Street Lethal

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how it looks in person. The side angle is better than the front for sure, but I find that veneers vary a lot by angle in person.

I got this one for $696 with shipping (but before tax) so I'm pretty happy. I have a bunch of higher-end guitars and was looking for something in this range to care about a little less, that didn't have thick poly, and a decent set of pickups.
Yeah the guts of the guitar alone are worth the price which is why I may interested. I thought along the same lines when I got my 60's Tribute for $400 new with the case, it was new old stock that Sam Ash was blowing out years ago. The CT pots, switchcraft toggle and jack, 57 Classics, locking grover tuners are worth more than $400. First and foremost though is it plays and sounds great, if it didn't I would have went back.

I have a contact at MF who would probably knock 15% of the top if I got the '59. I'll see, I have guitars coming out of my ass as is.

Last edited:

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally if i cant really afford something and am stretched to make it work, it takes the fun from it and then it very quickly becomes a burden. If it were me, i’d be making a choice on the one i preferred (sound/looks/playability).
I think my theory above is sound, but a lot of truth here too.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Got it all worked out without the Pawn shop! I'll be picking the Epi 59 up shortly after Noon!!! I can't wait to open the box, see my top, and back, and then will probably leave it for a pro setup,band check to make sure it's right, and ready! Then the Eastman should be here albeit a day late due to them closing for the storm yesterday. If they do 2 to 3vday shipping, I should have it by Saturday, or Monday at the latest! Woohoo!!!, :hyper: :dude:

Street Lethal

Reaction score
I agree 100%. If I can't afford it I don't buy it because it completely takes the enjoyment out of it and then it's just another source of stress. And by afford it I mean if I can't pay the entire price in one shot I walk away. I like taking the entire hit up front. I don't do monthly payments with guitars or much else and it's worked out well for me.

Latest Threads