Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

cliffenstein

Reaction score
The case is a POS? Really? That’s odd, I bought a regular Epiphone branded LP case (the black ones with grey interior) for my 2020 Special and I think it’s great. I would think brown one would be the same quality.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
The case is a POS? Really? That’s odd, I bought a regular Epiphone branded LP case (the black ones with grey interior) for my 2020 Special and I think it’s great. I would think brown one would be the same quality.
Yep, I have the same Epi case for my 2015 Tribute Plus and it's actually a pretty nice case. Maybe the new case is not the same quality? Maybe it's the new Epiphone POS case? lol.

Archer069

Reaction score
Yep, I have the same Epi case for my 2015 Tribute Plus and it's actually a pretty nice case. Maybe the new case is not the same quality? Maybe it's the new Epiphone POS case? lol.
Their trying to replicate the 59 in its entirety, 59 case was / is a POS. Plus your buying a 59 at 1/3 the price of a reissue, pay for what you get I guess. Go and buy an Eastmsn 59 at $1500 if you want a better guitar than Epi. At least the Eastman is reliced if you want.

Seven

Reaction score
Their trying to replicate the 59 in its entirety, 59 case was / is a POS. Plus your buying a 59 at 1/3 the price of a reissue, pay for what you get I guess. Go and buy an Eastmsn 59 at $1500 if you want a better guitar than Epi. At least the Eastman is reliced if you want.
The new reissues are $6500

jbash

Reaction score
Looks like a 2 piece back. Thank god they didn't use that fuggly ribbon sapele veneer like on the standard lineup.

That color looks pretty awesome..

Standard nickel gloss hardware (no "aging").

I can see the USA pickups in those import rings are still an issue, like on the Tributes. if they can get the pickguard right, they can get the rings right. C'mon Epiphone.

You can pull the rings out and check the pickups to confirm whether the sticker is correct or not. Burstbuckers are stickered on the bottom.

Looks like Indian Laurel for the board.

I dig it! Much nicer looking than the Tributes, afaic.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
Looks like a 2 piece back. Thank god they didn't use that fuggly ribbon sapele veneer like on the standard lineup.

That color looks pretty awesome..

Standard nickel gloss hardware (no "aging").

I can see the USA pickups in those import rings are still an issue, like on the Tributes. if they can get the pickguard right, they can get the rings right. C'mon Epiphone.

You can pull the rings out and check the pickups to confirm whether the sticker is correct or not. Burstbuckers are stickered on the bottom.

Looks like Indian Laurel for the board.

I dig it! Much nicer looking than the Tributes, afaic.
Or a two piece veneer on the back. I can't tell for sure from the photo. Then again I don't know if they have used a two piece veneer on the back before, or a even a two piece back. I do see the seam though. I would like to see the bottom of it.

I like the 57 Classics more than the BurstBuckers and a black back with the Vintage Burst but I like the top on this guitar. Not worth selling a Tribute Plus for this IMO. All the same electronics otherwise.

One thing I did notice is the bridge looks pretty high, low E string just about touching the back of the bridge, but that could be just the photo or he didn't set it up yet. Neck angle is a big deal for me, as in not a steep one.

I like the color of the top though, i'm 50/50 on the VOS finish, I think it's done better on Gibsons. The Gibson '59 that was linked to above is amazing. I will wait for the honey burst to come out and I may check that out and stick it next to my Tribute Plus and Standard 50's. Then again, a 60's Standard in Iced Tea burst may happen instead. By the way the back of my Standard 50's looks fine. My stomach really likes it.

Last edited:

djw171

Reaction score
She has arrived! Two days early! I tried to post pics but no matter what I do it says the pics are too large for the server... any advice on that front? I posted pics on FB "Epiphone Guitar Fan Club" page if you're so inclined....
Congrats.
looks good. shame the pickup rings don't fit correctly.
seems odd it still says BB 2 & 3 considering post earlier saying it was 1 & 2.
Noting yet on the Epiphone website. Which is poor that they start shipping before the launch.
Wonder if this is the sister of the other one that got set free before it should have...?

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Congrats.
looks good. shame the pickup rings don't fit correctly.
seems odd it still says BB 2 & 3 considering post earlier saying it was 1 & 2.
Noting yet on the Epiphone website. Which is poor that they start shipping before the launch.
Wonder if this is the sister of the other one that got set free before it should have...?
Could also be this first batch really does have the BB 2 & 3 set and further batches will have the 1 & 2 set.

Latest Threads