Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Right at the 3 minute mark, where you see the dark top and the red sides. Just my opinion. Looks ridiculous.
Saw every bit of that. Looks the opposite of ridiculous to me.

I get that you would prefer a back color that perfectly matched the darkest part of the burst though. That’s understandable. Gibson probably would go with a natural stain on the back in this case.

I still say the DB in the video looks amazing. I think the back looks lovely with the front. There are different shades to the burst from the edges to the horns and the back color is one that, in my view, brings it all together in a very attractive way.

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score

I get that you would prefer a back color that perfectly matched the darkest part of the burst though. That’s understandable. Gibson probably would go with a natural stain on the back in this case.

I still say the DB in the video looks amazing. I think the back looks lovely with the front. There are different shades to the burst from the edges to the horns and the back color is one that, in my view, brings it all together in a very attractive way.
Gibson did the standard 60s in a very similar color scheme. But I think it also looks funny. I don’t like the transition from dark burst to red back.

Street Lethal

Reaction score

AGD with a black back would look very much like a Vintage Burst. From the front AGB and VB look pretty similar. My 2015 60's Tribute Plus has a VB finish and black sides and back. I wasn't a huge fan of VB years ago but it grew on me.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Gibson did the standard 60s in a very similar color scheme. But I think it also looks funny. I don’t like the transition from dark burst to red back.

That bourbon burst looks killer to me. I’m a huge fan of plain tops. I wish these Epi 59’s had a plain top option.

Street Lethal

Reaction score

Here's an Epi 60's in bourbon burst. Great photos too.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
That bourbon burst looks killer to me. I’m a huge fan of plain tops. I wish these Epi 59’s had a plain top option.
I love plain tops too.

But Gibson has no Business selling some of these Standards as “AA figured tops”. If you look at the ice tea finish, they have 4 in stock. It’s hard to call any of those “figured“.

There are reasons why the classic is $500 less than the standard. The biggest being the figure. Compare those ice teas to my Unburst and it’s like.... huh?

The least they could’ve done is sell the plain tops for a few hundred less imo.

edit: after looking at different angles, you can call some of the ice teas figured, but AA is a stretch

Last edited:

sdmusic15

Reaction score
I love plain tops too.

But Gibson has no Business selling some of these Standards as “AA figured tops”. If you look at the ice tea finish, they have 4 in stock. It’s hard to call any of those “figured“.

There are reasons why the classic is $500 less than the standard. The biggest being the figure. Compare those ice teas to my Unburst and it’s like.... huh?

The least they could’ve done is sell the plain tops for a few hundred less imo.

edit: after looking at different angles, you can call some of the ice teas figured, but AA is a stretch
What is wrong with that top? Or is that your unburst?

jbash

Reaction score
Right at the 3 minute mark, where you see the dark top and the red sides. Just my opinion. Looks ridiculous.
the originals were all cherry sunbursts with red backs. The tops dye would turn all kinds of weird colors or fade out. Its OK not to like it, but it's historically accurate. The actual Gibby 50s Original Tobacco/Vintage Sunbursts with the light backs, are not historically accurate.

So Kudos for Epiphone doing the historically accurate thing on a guitar that is supposed to be historically accurate as possible.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
the originals were all cherry sunbursts with red backs. The tops dye would turn all kinds of weird colors or fade out. Its OK not to like it, but it's historically accurate. The actual Gibby 50s Original Tobacco/Vintage Sunbursts with the light backs, are not historically accurate.

So Kudos for Epiphone doing the historically accurate thing on a guitar that is supposed to be historically accurate as possible.
I’m aware of the analine dye mostly fading, but sometimes getting darker.

I personally havnt seen examples of original bursts that darkened to tobacco on the front while remaining red on the sides. Can you post some please? That would be awesome.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. No need for trolling and calling people clowns or other names. You got that you bunch of dip-shits?

Actually I used to be an admin on a very large forum back in the day. You couldn't pay me to do it again.
Well, I've been staff here for 7 years. Troll count went from huge to near zero.

Trolls get what they give, then they get booted.

But the situation is handled, so there's no need to keep it festering. Nor is there a need for critique of the mod staff.

We are done with this, so let's get back to the guitar.

jbash

Reaction score
I’m aware of the analine dye mostly fading, but sometimes getting darker.

I personally havnt seen examples of original bursts that darkened to tobacco on the front while remaining red on the sides. Can you post some please? That would be awesome.
You can find a hundred pics of bursts that the backs have remained red, no matter what happened to the top. I suggest if you need some re-assurance to make yourself feel better about your own particular aesthetic choice, you do the research.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
You can find a hundred pics of bursts that the backs have remained red, no matter what happened to the top. I suggest if you need some re-assurance to make yourself feel better about your own particular aesthetic choice, you do the research.
It’s ok buddy. Take a breath. Pursed lips help on the exhale.

I found one.

although I see many more like this:

I guess both are historically accurate? Kudos to Epiphone!

cliffenstein

Reaction score
I think the Dark Burst looks amazing. For real. Once these things truly become available routinely, I may just buy one. I'm not one to do the whole buy ahead of time thing.

Latest Threads