Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

fry

Reaction score
I have the Dark Burst on Order since February and I'm cancelling. I picked up the best Gibson Les Paul I've ever owned a few months ago and I can't see this Epiphone being better. I considered keeping my order and holding the guitar for a future sell off, but why...
That’s kind of the same boat I’m in. I got a good deal on a Gibson Les Paul “Classic Lite” It’s one of those with the thin body, but looks the same from every other angle. I’ve been curious about those for a while, ZZounds seems to be the only place that sells them. Saw a nice used one, and made an offer. The guy accepted. The thin body with the belly cut is lightweight and very comfortable. The guy replaced the stock pickups with a Bare Knuckle Abraxas set, and an Obsidian Wire solderless harness. I have never even heard of one of those before, but it is really high-quality, and it has these little spring-loaded connectors, you can tinker around and change pickups as often as you want. The pickups are awesome, of course.

fleahead

Reaction score
Waiting 6 months to a year for an Epi? Nope, no way I could wait that long.

sdmusic15

Reaction score
That’s kind of the same boat I’m in. I got a good deal on a Gibson Les Paul “Classic Lite” It’s one of those with the thin body, but looks the same from every other angle. I’ve been curious about those for a while, ZZounds seems to be the only place that sells them. Saw a nice used one, and made an offer. The guy accepted. The thin body with the belly cut is lightweight and very comfortable. The guy replaced the stock pickups with a Bare Knuckle Abraxas set, and an Obsidian Wire solderless harness. I have never even heard of one of those before, but it is really high-quality, and it has these little spring-loaded connectors, you can tinker around and change pickups as often as you want. The pickups are awesome, of course.
I’ve been in the same boat as well since April. Got a 2019 Gibson 50s Standard. It won’t be topped. It’s the first case that I wipe down and put in its case every night.... but a nice Epiphone would be nice at the same time for leaving out at all times and not worrying about anything happening to it

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Mine is a 2013 Traditional. Everything on it, plastics, wiring, bridge and tail piece was upgraded to Creamtone Vintage parts and it has Pearly Gates Pickups. The guy decked it out to be a 59' replica as much as he could.

I don't think I'll ever do better.

I’ve been in the same boat as well since April. Got a 2019 Gibson 50s Standard. It won’t be topped. It’s the first case that I wipe down and put in its case every night.... but a nice Epiphone would be nice at the same time for leaving out at all times and not worrying about anything happening to it
I already have both the Epiphone 1960 Norm Burst Bonamassa Les Paul's. Don't really love either of them and will sell them when the time is right. One even has the pickguard autographed from a show I went to earlier this year. Just tired of waiting for another Les Paul I don't really need.

I leave my Gibson out all the time and play it every day. It hasn't been in the case since the day I bought it!

fry

Reaction score
Waiting 6 months to a year for an Epi? Nope, no way I could wait that long.
Turning out to be more than six months. I think when I placed the order back at the beginning of the year, the ship date was expected to be April or May? I figured I could hold on. Then they said July, now August. Some places are still saying October. I wouldn’t have gotten into it if I had known then I would still be waiting now.

BenjiT

Reaction score
My rep said that absolutely nobody knows when these are going to show up. The way Epiphone and Gibson run the show is interesting. An unannounced shipment will just show up in Indiana. These guitars could start trickling in tomorrow or in March of 2021. Kind of makes it fun. Guitar roulette....

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Turning out to be more than six months. I think when I placed the order back at the beginning of the year, the ship date was expected to be April or May? I figured I could hold on. Then they said July, now August. Some places are still saying October. I wouldn’t have gotten into it if I had known then I would still be waiting now.
Exactly! I ordered one in February and the second on the 6th of March. At that time it was an April or May delivery. Now I'm hearing everything from August until December. My wait is over because I cancelled both orders.

BenjiT

Reaction score
Exactly! I ordered one in February and the second on the 6th of March. At that time it was an April or May delivery. Now I'm hearing everything from August until December. My wait is over because I cancelled both orders.
Can't blame you. If these aren't here by Halloween I am out as well. I am in no hurry to add anything to my collection so I am willing to wait. I figure 10 months from my original pre order date is quite generous.

Lockdown Learner

Reaction score
Everyone is of course entitled to do as they please, but I feel I would be cutting my nose off to spite my face if I were to cancel my order now. Some of you have been waiting 6 months - what's another month or two?

fry

Reaction score
Everyone is of course entitled to do as they please, but I feel I would be cutting my nose off to spite my face if I were to cancel my order now. Some of you have been waiting 6 months - what's another month or two?
If I hadn’t stumbled onto a good deal on a Gibson Les Paul that I love, I’d probably hang in there. When the honeyburst showed up as an option at Sweetwater, that affected my decision also. I’m going to keep my eye on that one, might end up going for it.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Not the timing so much now as the fact that I found such a sweet Gibson. I see no reason to wait. There is no way the Epiphone can match the Gibson I bought. Also the fact I have two Norm Burst Epiphones...

Lockdown Learner

Reaction score
This is my first step up from a 'beginners' guitar, so I'm more than happy with this Epiphone as my next - it appears to offer great quality and a Gibson-like tone at what seems like a great price point (even in the UK).

Street Lethal

Reaction score
If I hadn’t stumbled onto a good deal on a Gibson Les Paul that I love, I’d probably hang in there. When the honeyburst showed up as an option at Sweetwater, that affected my decision also. I’m going to keep my eye on that one, might end up going for it.
Honey burst should have been a standard color from the beginning. I think it's cheesy it's a Sweetwater only color and they're announcing it now.

fry

Reaction score
Honey burst should have been a standard color from the beginning. I think it's cheesy it's a Sweetwater only color and they're announcing it now.
Honestly, it doesn’t look like what I think of when I picture honeyburst. It doesn’t have any kind of “burst” that I can see, it looks all one color, edge to edge. The one in the photo looks more like what Epiphone used to call “antique natural“, which I always liked too.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
Honestly, it doesn’t look like what I think of when I picture honeyburst. It doesn’t have any kind of “burst” that I can see, it looks all one color, edge to edge. The one in the photo looks more like what Epiphone used to call “antique natural“, which I always liked too.
I don't think the photo Sweetwater is using is a real photo of the top, it looks photo-shopped. I agree though, I'm not seeing a burst. I don't like the antique natural top on guitars, it's too light but that's just my opinion.

I no longer see the honey burst option on their site now. Another mystery.

Last edited:

Latest Threads