Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

USTTRM

Reaction score
Hi! I actually have seen your reviews, and without a doubt they have been my favorite so far. They come across as entirely genuine, really balancing the pros and cons. I see you also had some qualms with the finish of the '59, wanting to gloss it up a bit. My issue is the same. I know I'll love the chunky, satin, neck (which is a huge part of why one should purchase a guitar), but I have a love/hate relationship with the finish. It definteky comes across as photogenic, but a few days ago I went to see one in the flesh and it appeared a little fake looking to me (no offence to any owners).

Since you come across as really even-keeled, have lots of experience with this guitar and other LPs, I'd love your advice. I have the opportunity to buy either a Epi '59 (2020) or an Epi 50th anniversary 1960 V3 (from 2010) and the specs are almost identical. The two most obvious differences in the 1960 would be 1) a less chunky neck with poly (it may already be worn down, or can be sanded) and 2) the normal Epi poly finish which I find can sometimes look a little candy-like.

Regarding finish, I wish the Epi '59 was a little more glossy and that the flame popped a bit more. I find a lot of the photos that I've seen of the '59 - particulary the darkburst model which I'm interested in, have really hidden flames to the point where the guitars almost look like plain-tops.

The 1960 is already ten years old, so my main concern would be fret wear, but if the frets are good and it's substantially cheaper, would you have any concerns or advice to share before choosing one over the other? Have you compared the '59 to older higher end Epis (Tributes, Elites, etc.)?
Thanks for that. I appreciate the love.
It seems that the dark burst 59 is the preferred colour from sales in the shops here. Now it’s in stock that seems to be the case. For resale value that’s something to consider.
In Japan while living there, Epiphone Japan produced similar guitars in build to the 59 with some really flamey tops. They show up on Reverb from time to time. Late 80s to mid 90s are the one to look for.
I have a Epi Tribute I gave to my brother. I had to change the pickups to Midnight Specials and all the hardware to make it a decent player. Still not as good as a 59 out the box. I will state for the record that the 59 need it’s fret leveled . I paid a guy to do this so it was an additional 65eur.
Just be sure it’s what your going to be happy with. Don’t buy to settle. Save up for what you’re dreaming of. All that stuff. Oh, I pulled the trigger on the Epi 50s gold top...can’t wait to do a A/B.

Last edited:

USTTRM

Reaction score
Here's my Ebay 59 (with a pair of lil cracks at the nut). A southern fade like my #1. Here she is polished. View attachment 542741

It sounds a ton. can provide demos.
And the best part is it's already been cracked once so the tension and shame is all gone already ;)

Here's the rub: If you're OK with cracks at the nut ect, my guy stigatsu will mail you husks at (decent) prices all day long.

Has gibson husks as well. My Ebay has been trained to let me click: "Epiphone Husk" in the first box that comes up so I see what he posts up. He must have some guys unloading insurance claim damaged brand new guitars from GC and samash ect or maybe he's just that good at snooping auctions but he's gone from 5 or 6 at a time to where he's got 20 something guitars.

SG Moderns, LP moderns, he's had 4 or so 1959's (this one is #2 for me) , explorers, P90 TV Specials (god I want one of those too)

Anyway. here ya goes.

Man oh man that’s a beautiful top. One of the best I have seen yet. Congrats!

voided76

Reaction score
That's a lovely dood as well!
If you're considering period pickups:
Byoguitar.com
They've got a set called the blizzard of 59
And they're outstanding. Like 85 bucks for the Pair

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lovely dood as well!
If you're considering period pickups:
Byoguitar.com
They've got a set called the blizzard of 59
And they're outstanding. Like 85 bucks for the Pair
I have a set of Wolfetone Legends in mine. Phenomenal.

voided76

Reaction score
I have a set of Wolfetone Legends in mine. Phenomenal.
Daaang
I dream of having accessory money of that degree. I'm scouring amazon for the best chinesium forged pickups (a little) money can buy. The byog set seems to be *it you're ok with old school 1 wire.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daaang
I dream of having accessory money of that degree. I'm scouring amazon for the best chinesium forged pickups (a little) money can buy. The byog set seems to be *it you're ok with old school 1 wire.
Well, Wolfe is running a 25% off special. They were still a little out of ,y price range but that helped me pull the trigger. They are the best pickups I’ve ever owned.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well, Wolfe is running a 25% off special. They were still a little out of ,y price range but that helped me pull the trigger. They are the best pickups I’ve ever owned.
do you have a link to this guys site. i smell a good deal on some awesome pickups for the 59 :=)

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does that do to the sound? i'm thinking a blister bucker in the bridge and a legend in the neck...
Magnet flip gives an out of phase middle position. Think Peter Green and some of the Varitone type B.B. King tones.

I’ve never been a big user of the normal middle position with humbuckers anyway.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Here's my Ebay 59 (with a pair of lil cracks at the nut). A southern fade like my #1. Here she is polished. View attachment 542741

It sounds a ton. can provide demos.
And the best part is it's already been cracked once so the tension and shame is all gone already ;)

Here's the rub: If you're OK with cracks at the nut ect, my guy stigatsu will mail you husks at (decent) prices all day long.

Has gibson husks as well. My Ebay has been trained to let me click: "Epiphone Husk" in the first box that comes up so I see what he posts up. He must have some guys unloading insurance claim damaged brand new guitars from GC and samash ect or maybe he's just that good at snooping auctions but he's gone from 5 or 6 at a time to where he's got 20 something guitars.

SG Moderns, LP moderns, he's had 4 or so 1959's (this one is #2 for me) , explorers, P90 TV Specials (god I want one of those too)

Anyway. here ya goes.

what do you think his lowest he would go fro one of these?? i think i may snatch one up :=) since i'm not getting my aged honey burst any time soon .... thanks sweet water !!

voided76

Reaction score
that is sweet looking!! i thought you got the age honey burst in the first pic you posted?
It's a limited run zzsounds southern burst.
The brown reddened up quite a bit as I polished it. It's still pretty brown in dimmer lights but in brighter lights and sunlight it's a really moody red.

As delivered in satin alongside a sparkling burgundy LP Modern.

received_910467306168405.jpeg

Screenshot_20210609-204527_Gallery.jpg

and again alongside the same guitar after the big polish.

186477778_842666299992888_6828018318122956729_n.jpg

The colors pop a little more, the top is a little more active....
But it really looks fetching in a spotlight or in sunlight.

Let me know if you want any info on polishing the tops.

voided76

Reaction score
I've never haggled with the guy personally. I'm just pretty happy that prices aren't exactly gouged when you start thinking about what stuff costs.

I'm into my first 59 with my own hand wiring my own chosen pickups, faber bridge, gibson tail, grover tuners, essentially in higher spec than would have been delivered.... for 200 bucks less than new.

The next one: well we'll see. I hope the bourns push pullers are pretty reliable. I've got some oil in paper caps NOS from russia that are going to do an old school job and plenty of wiring from the last build for the next. *shrug*

You guys will stay posted. I might be on 2 weeks of leave starting monday.... but I imagine i'll get the guitar by friday so we'll have some progress before I jump on the plane home from the navy for a min.

My wiring leaves a lot for those OCD wiring guys to desire (lol) but they do strong work in my hands.
I hope that cherry fade looks good. again. we'll see :D If I strip it down I might just leave it on plain poly. that'd look wild.

Latest Threads