Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Epiphone has been consistently producing quality instruments for a good while now.
t+ama.jpg

In my rookie season here on MLP these were all the rage. The talk on the '59 is almost an exact replay of what these got back then. Gibson parts, case, the real deal. Had to have one. After 40 years with a 330 it was my first LP. It was a great piece. Some 50 flips later it's probably true that I should have just kept the damn thing and called it good. :laugh2:

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
......funny!! Looking at my post next to me profile I see I registered on August 24th. I was still a scared lurker when I bought the T+ on August 14th. Still took me another 10 days to be brave enough to register. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

isoneedcoffee

Reaction score
I’m a YT reviewer of the 59.
I purchased mine like 90% of the other reviewers for this model. The roll out was terrible and I don’t think any freebies went out at all. The rest made up of dealers that would sell ice cubes to.. well you take my point.
After having it a minute I can say that this guitar needs a set up and fret board conditioning including fret edge levelling out the box. Once this done it is, as someone on this forum said,”a budget R9”. I couldn’t sum it up better.
Hi! I actually have seen your reviews, and without a doubt they have been my favorite so far. They come across as entirely genuine, really balancing the pros and cons. I see you also had some qualms with the finish of the '59, wanting to gloss it up a bit. My issue is the same. I know I'll love the chunky, satin, neck (which is a huge part of why one should purchase a guitar), but I have a love/hate relationship with the finish. It definteky comes across as photogenic, but a few days ago I went to see one in the flesh and it appeared a little fake looking to me (no offence to any owners).

Since you come across as really even-keeled, have lots of experience with this guitar and other LPs, I'd love your advice. I have the opportunity to buy either a Epi '59 (2020) or an Epi 50th anniversary 1960 V3 (from 2010) and the specs are almost identical. The two most obvious differences in the 1960 would be 1) a less chunky neck with poly (it may already be worn down, or can be sanded) and 2) the normal Epi poly finish which I find can sometimes look a little candy-like.

Regarding finish, I wish the Epi '59 was a little more glossy and that the flame popped a bit more. I find a lot of the photos that I've seen of the '59 - particulary the darkburst model which I'm interested in, have really hidden flames to the point where the guitars almost look like plain-tops.

The 1960 is already ten years old, so my main concern would be fret wear, but if the frets are good and it's substantially cheaper, would you have any concerns or advice to share before choosing one over the other? Have you compared the '59 to older higher end Epis (Tributes, Elites, etc.)?

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little FYI update: GC shows shipping in three to five days. Instead of completing in cart, I called. Guy said GC warehouse doesn't have any but he could source from a store and ship right away. I told him I didn't want one from a store and asked when one would ship NIB from warehouse. He told me June 16th. So if you believe what he says, the warehouse expects a shipment to arrive June 16th.

@elephantrider does that sorta match what you're being told?

I placed the order to see how it plays out. I think I'm driving to the big city Monday to poke around. If something else catches my eye, I'll cancel. (Sorta expecting it to play out that way actually, but we'll see.) ....or I may just let it come on and see what I think.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup! still hearing a shipment is due June wk3 to the warehouse, so July wk1 delivery is likely.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I had the 2010 Tribute with the assymetrical neck, as opposed to the 1960 Tribute with the 60s neck, and I recently traded it after I got the 59. It is a great guitar and I miss it.

But even before the Tribute, there was the Elitist line, though it was priced much higher than most would probably pay for an Epi, so maybe not a budget guitar so much as a less expensive alternative to Gibson.

But if the point is quality, then yes the Tribute is as good a high water mark as any.

Easy as 123

Reaction score
I had the 2010 Tribute with the assymetrical neck, as opposed to the 1960 Tribute with the 60s neck, and I recently traded it after I got the 59. It is a great guitar and I miss it.

But even before the Tribute, there was the Elitist line, though it was priced much higher than most would probably pay for an Epi, so maybe not a budget guitar so much as a less expensive alternative to Gibson.

But if the point is quality, then yes the Tribute is as good a high water mark as any.
The Elitist line was made in Japan/Korea? Right, not in China. From vids I've seen of them they look and sound fantastic. Have you played one?

LuckyDan

Reaction score
The Elitist line was made in Japan/Korea? Right, not in China. From vids I've seen of them they look and sound fantastic. Have you played one?
I think they were Japanese, yes. I never played one. In 2006, I was working at a job that paid a profit sharing bonus annually and that year my bonus was enough to allow me to buy either an Elitist Paul or a Masterbilt EF-500 acoustic. I had a difficult time choosing but I went for the acoustic and planned to get the Elitist later on down the road. As it happened, both the Elitist Pauls and the Masterbilt EF-500 were discontinued soon thereafter, so I was never going to own them both. That's how I wound up with the LP Tribute 2010 a few years later. It served me well till the 59 came along, which is the LP I have always wanted.

Easy as 123

Reaction score
I think they were Japanese, yes. I never played one. In 2006, I was working at a job that paid a profit sharing bonus annually and that year my bonus was enough to allow me to buy either an Elitist Paul or a Masterbilt EF-500 acoustic. I had a difficult time choosing but I went for the acoustic and planned to get the Elitist later on down the road. As it happened, both the Elitist Pauls and the Masterbilt EF-500 were discontinued soon thereafter, so I was never going to own them both. That's how I wound up with the LP Tribute 2010 a few years later. It served me well till the 59 came along, which is the LP I have always wanted.
Interesting, some of those Elitist LP's are very good looking axes.

With the 59, when I first started playing it, I was kind of in the mindset that she's a delicate axe-- cuz of the pretty vintage bling and all. Tho shortly thereafter I came to realize it's the opposite. The 59 is a very workmanlike guitar and handles a bunch of musical styles extremely well. It's a real satisfying feeling when this hunk of wood is strapped on.

voided76

Reaction score
some updates. should be here in a day or two: Here's to what I pulled from the parts bin/ebay scrap heap.
s-l16002.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I think it's going to be a monster lemon/cherry fade once I polish it up.
Big plans. Tonerider ALNICO II 4 wire pickups. full on jimmy page harness, coil tap/into parallel/series, push pull out of phase, and hopefully a big bad direct to bridge push pull.

lightweight gibson tailpiece, all nickel grover deluxe tuners, faber historic ABR1 (metric) switchcraft shorty 3 way, switchcraft output, should be the cat's ass for feel sound and trickery.

rbraad68

Reaction score
some updates. should be here in a day or two: Here's to what I pulled from the parts bin/ebay scrap heap. View attachment 542511
View attachment 542510
Big plans. Tonerider ALNICO II 4 wire pickups. full on jimmy page harness, coil tap/into parallel/series, push pull out of phase, and hopefully a big bad direct to bridge push pull.

lightweight gibson tailpiece, all nickel grover deluxe tuners, faber historic ABR1 (metric) switchcraft shorty 3 way, switchcraft output, should be the cat's ass for feel sound and trickery.
i would of snatch that up in a heart beat had i seen it!! hell i think i have enough parts to put it tigether here just sitting around!! nice find man.. lots of pics when your done :=)

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I now consider myself officially on the waiting list. Went to the big city yesterday and came home empty handed. Think I'm gonna chill till mid July and see if my order actually shows up.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
some updates. should be here in a day or two: Here's to what I pulled from the parts bin/ebay scrap heap. View attachment 542511
View attachment 542510

Where did you find this?! I have enough parts to put like 3-4 husks together!!!

rbraad68

Reaction score
I guess I now consider myself officially on the waiting list. Went to the big city yesterday and came home empty handed. Think I'm gonna chill till mid July and see if my order actually shows up.
speaking of the waiting list here i am the dat before sweet water is suposed to get some of these 59s in stock and i'm not feeling to lucky !! I texted my sales rep and he isn't to positive about it either... I guess i'll find out tomarrow if i'm getting one or waiting longer.. I feel like just taking a aged cherry burst and calling it a day but that prob isn't an option since im sure they won't have those either in stock.....

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you find this?! I have enough parts to put like 3-4 husks together!!!
Stratosphere currently has a '70s Deluxe (for $1400), and three flame-top set neck dual-humbucker Telecasters (Indonesian, but Fender-branded) for $400
A Tele husk build might be fun... give you something in a 25.5" scale length.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Stratosphere currently has a '70s Deluxe (for $1400), and three flame-top set neck dual-humbucker Telecasters (Indonesian, but Fender-branded) for $400
A Tele husk build might be fun... give you something in a 25.5" scale length.
I’m unloading all my Fender stuff. But thanks man.

voided76

Reaction score
i would of snatch that up in a heart beat had i seen it!! hell i think i have enough parts to put it tigether here just sitting around!! nice find man.. lots of pics when your done :=)
Here's my Ebay 59 (with a pair of lil cracks at the nut). A southern fade like my #1. Here she is polished.
189584978_786428698682328_496096731821313886_n.jpg

It sounds a ton. can provide demos.
And the best part is it's already been cracked once so the tension and shame is all gone already ;)

Here's the rub: If you're OK with cracks at the nut ect, my guy stigatsu will mail you husks at (decent) prices all day long.

Has gibson husks as well. My Ebay has been trained to let me click: "Epiphone Husk" in the first box that comes up so I see what he posts up. He must have some guys unloading insurance claim damaged brand new guitars from GC and samash ect or maybe he's just that good at snooping auctions but he's gone from 5 or 6 at a time to where he's got 20 something guitars.

SG Moderns, LP moderns, he's had 4 or so 1959's (this one is #2 for me) , explorers, P90 TV Specials (god I want one of those too)

Anyway. here ya goes.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Here's my Ebay 59 (with a pair of lil cracks at the nut). A southern fade like my #1. Here she is polished. View attachment 542741

It sounds a ton. can provide demos.
And the best part is it's already been cracked once so the tension and shame is all gone already ;)

Here's the rub: If you're OK with cracks at the nut ect, my guy stigatsu will mail you husks at (decent) prices all day long.

Has gibson husks as well. My Ebay has been trained to let me click: "Epiphone Husk" in the first box that comes up so I see what he posts up. He must have some guys unloading insurance claim damaged brand new guitars from GC and samash ect or maybe he's just that good at snooping auctions but he's gone from 5 or 6 at a time to where he's got 20 something guitars.

SG Moderns, LP moderns, he's had 4 or so 1959's (this one is #2 for me) , explorers, P90 TV Specials (god I want one of those too)

Anyway. here ya goes.

So about 360 ish for these when has them? I've seen the husks before just not the 59's....

Latest Threads