Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

Basic_Dad

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good - should of mentioned I went for the Southern Fade. Haven't seen one I didn't like (admittedly haven't seen many)

Gary Bell

Reaction score
By all accounts guitar sales and musical instruments in general are up. My salesman told me 2020 was the best year for all of the companies in decades. The lockdown bullshit is what got me to pull out my guitars again. Then I bought the 59. Just last night I had a couple of shots of bourbon jumped on Sweetwater and bought a Jackson pro series. Soloist. (650$ off retail...) gosh darn bourbon. But I’ve always wanted a nice Jackson.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Ya... but then you're also buying from MF, which means that today, they are probably hanging on the wall at a Guitar Center.
Mine came off a GC wall and it's flawless. I've had it ten days and can't leave it alone long enough to change the strings from factory stock. I play it unplugged half the time. It just sings.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lock them up. That's the best way so they never slip.

I tried that one time.
Never again. The next string change was a royal PITA.

Almost 45 years I've never had a problem doing one wrap over the hole and the rest under the hole.

Tuners.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
yeah i bought a guitar off a guy and he tied his strings like that.... what a pain the ass getting that sucker off.. i do one over the rest under never had problems either...

Basic_Dad

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
By all accounts guitar sales and musical instruments in general are up. My salesman told me 2020 was the best year for all of the companies in decades. The lockdown bullshit is what got me to pull out my guitars again. Then I bought the 59. Just last night I had a couple of shots of bourbon jumped on Sweetwater and bought a Jackson pro series. Soloist. (650$ off retail...) gosh darn bourbon. But I’ve always wanted a nice Jackson.
Yeah this is me - minus the bourbon and Jackson. I bought a Spark amp in January, the Epi LP and Hummingbird in February and now I want a Hot Rod Deluxe and $1,000 in EHX pedals.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
These are readily available at both Guitar Centers by me. So I went in to pick one up and tried the Dark Cherry Burst and a Dark Burst. Both sounded different, the Dark Burst was at least 1lb heavier and had a darker tone than the Dark Cherry Burst which was about 8.5 lbs give or take a little. I picked up the Dark Burst and man what a boat anchor, boy it was a lot heavier by at least 1lb. Anyway, I have 3 great playing, sounding guitars right now and was looking for some kind of wow factor besides the looks. I really like the Aged Satin finish look, but the play/feel/sound of the guitar just did not wow me. I played it through a JCM800 and it did sound really good, as well as felt/played great, but I guess I was expecting more. I just could not justify it to myself to make the purchase because it looked great and is a limited edition guitar.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice guitar no doubt, Epiphone is doing a great job for sure. But... I have the Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, and the Epiphone Les Paul Modern which are great feeling/playing and sounding guitars that I just love, so no need to add another guitar to my arsenal right now just because.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
These are readily available at both Guitar Centers by me. So I went in to pick one up and tried the Dark Cherry Burst and a Dark Burst. Both sounded different, the Dark Burst was at lease 1lb heavier and had a darker tone than the Dark Cherry Burst which was about 8.5 lbs give or take a little. I picked up the Dark Burst and man what a boat anchor, boy it was a lot heavier by at least 1lb. Anyway, I have 3 great playing, sounding guitars right now and was looking for some kind of wow factor besides the looks. I really like the Aged Satin finish look, but the play/feel/sound of the guitar just did not wow me. I played it through a JCM800 and it did sound really good, as well as felt/played great, but I guess I was expecting more. I just could not justify it to myself to make the purchase because it looked great and is a limited edition guitar.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice guitar no doubt, Epiphone is doing a great job for sure. But... I have the Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, and the Epiphone Les Paul Modern which are great feeling/playing and sounding guitars that I just love, so no need to add another guitar to my arsenal right now just because.

i think you may have saved some of a trip to the local GC... i hear what your saying man and often thought to my self i already have a 2020 custom and classic do i really need this guitar?? i think i would of been expecting the wow factor too if i had the chance to check one out.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
i think you may have saved some of a trip to the local GC... i hear what your saying man and often thought to my self i already have a 2020 custom and classic do i really need this guitar?? i think i would of been expecting the wow factor too if i had the chance to check one out.
I think what it comes down to, is that Epiphone has stepped up it's game in 2020 and you don't need to buy an Epiphone Special Limited run with Gibson pickups and special options to get a great Les Paul from them.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting back on the order train. gc showed to have some in stock so placed an order today. if it's another floor model, I'll take a hint and stop trying. :laugh2:

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting back on the order train. gc showed to have some in stock so placed an order today. if it's another floor model, I'll take a hint and stop trying. :laugh2:
Honestly, I would stop trying and wait until Sweetwater or Sam Ash have them in stock.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Why would you walk away from a floor model? I bought mine at GC a few days after I saw it hanging behind the counter. When I went back to buy it, I plugged it in and found it tuned a whole tone sharp. It was obvious no one had touched it since it was uncrated and hung on the hook. No blems to be found.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
because it had a few blemishes. because the case had a floppy latch and can't be replaced separately, either the latch or the case. because I bought it assuming new. because I want new and unblemished.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
When I went to GC they were both on the Floor and the other GC 30 miles away, they had two and they were both on the floor as well.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
because it had a few blemishes. because the case had a floppy latch and can't be replaced separately, either the latch or the case. because I bought it assuming new. because I want new and unblemished.
When I bought mine, the sales rep went in the back for a case and unboxed it right in front of me. Odd they sold it to you as a packaged pair.
As for the guitars, I wouldn't think they have been around long enough to become shopworn.
Better luck to you.

Latest Threads