Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

horax

Reaction score
The general consensus seems to be that original 59s sound the way they do due to aging as much as the PAFs and wiring etc. What always pops in my head is: If it's aging then they didn't sound that way in 59 so.... you can't have both tones. I'd guess are cheap China copies don't have that nice "woody" sound that a vintage original does, but like you I'd love to hear a comparison.
I’m wondering about neck feel as much as anything.
I love the carve on these new ones, but the finish makes me wonder about how she’d nitro feels.
move played several newer Gibson’s and a 66 Sg, but the 66 was refinished so I can’t tell if it’s close to the feel or not.
my guess is as it’s not nitro it probably doesn’t feel like a 59 would.
Not complaining, mind you, just comparing.

jbodine

Reaction score
I’

I’ve been thinking the same. There seems to be some good deals on the t-rex mudhoney atm. Handmade in denmark. Sound great!
I just got a Denmark version of the mudhoney and I'm really impressed with it. Very dynamic pedal.

Direwolf16

Reaction score
Guys how do you think the 59 holds up against a Gibson les Paul traditional? I have seen a traditional that's caught my eye but haven't played it as the guy is quite a drive away like 2 hours each way.

Fat Elppie

Reaction score
I’m wondering about neck feel as much as anything.
I love the carve on these new ones, but the finish makes me wonder about how she’d nitro feels.
move played several newer Gibson’s and a 66 Sg, but the 66 was refinished so I can’t tell if it’s close to the feel or not.
my guess is as it’s not nitro it probably doesn’t feel like a 59 would.
Not complaining, mind you, just comparing.
I haven't picked up a Gibson in awhile. Would be cool to be able to refinish one in nitro

horax

Reaction score
Guys how do you think the 59 holds up against a Gibson les Paul traditional? I have seen a traditional that's caught my eye but haven't played it as the guy is quite a drive away like 2 hours each way.
I like my 59 as much as I liked my standard.
the standard is shinier

Fat Elppie

Reaction score
I like my 59 as much as I liked my standard.
the standard is shinier
I wish the finish was somewhere in between current and a shiny one. It's a bit too matte. Does it really matter? Not really, just nit picking. If I was confident with polishing compounds I'd mod it a bit.

horax

Reaction score
I wish the finish was somewhere in between current and a shiny one. It's a bit too matte. Does it really matter? Not really, just nit picking. If I was confident with polishing compounds I'd mod it a bit.
Completely agree

Maccamoto

Reaction score
Im prob going to try polishing mine to a shinier finish when it arrives

mosteve

Reaction score
I also was liking the shiny finish that I had seen on the 50's model, but was not unhappy about the matt finish once I saw it.
I will also say that I have played mine every day since it arrived and it has yet to show any finger prints or smudges like a shiny guitar would. It also sounds so good that I'm either playing it or reading about it on this forum or watching something about it on YouTube, but then what else is there to do with Virus going on.

ucsteve

Reaction score
rumour has it many of the 59s are being held back until after the election...
damn politics

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
What happened to the rumor of the BIG launch on the 20th?

Cliffhydro

Reaction score
I ordered a Dark Burst last night from Sam Ash. According to the rep they had two. One of each. He gave me $70 off. Should ship tomorrow. I’ll report back.

KeBone22

Reaction score
I ordered a Dark Burst last night from Sam Ash. According to the rep they had two. One of each. He gave me $70 off. Should ship tomorrow. I’ll report back.
Probably was mine! Lol
I cancelled my order after getting one from george's and then getting another from local shop after shop owner called me stating "i have one of each in... get here asap."

KeBone22

Reaction score
And off subject again speaking of crooked tuners, this is about as bad as i have seen!
Looks like the e and d tuner shafts on the right are bent pretty good but mounting is a train wreck. G tulip looks like it would almost smack the headstock!:rofl:

Latest Threads