Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

ucsteve

Reaction score
Biggest reason I see for the 3 pickup configuration is to get that Out of Phase Peter Green sound. i like that and it works on this guitar. If the pickup gets in the way pf your picking you just lower the middle way down...
I thought ya flipped the neck p/u for that

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I thought ya flipped the neck p/u for that
No need to flip a pickup in this one, just switch to middle position on the 3 way...

What this guitar way require to get more combos is the Stew Mac Freeway Switch!

Untitled.jpg

Fat Elppie

Reaction score
If they make this guitar without the middle pickup it would be killer. I've tried to like 3 pickup Les Paul's and they just don't work for me.
Oddly, I was smitten with Steve Clark's white Les Paul custom years ago.... thought it was the ultimate LP for a bit and then all of a sudden I dislike the looks of them. I can barely operate two pickups. Three is confusing HAHA

Fat Elppie

Reaction score
Youtube video went up a few hours ago. No thoughts or comparisons but better than nothing. (Edit: not me or anyone I know)

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont get the 3 humbuckers, I would think you'd want something kinda diff in there for that but. SO i put a P90 in the middle for gits and shiggles.
It is different.
The wiring is B - B/M - N, but the B/M position is out of phase.
It's pretty interesting and I like the option.
But of course, it gives up the B/N option.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Yeah ,3 pickups does look odd at first.Then it grows on you.Still very cool.

Maccamoto

Reaction score
I’
Right when mine comes I think I’ll get a pedal at the same time. How can I get those tones????
I’ve been thinking the same. There seems to be some good deals on the t-rex mudhoney atm. Handmade in denmark. Sound great!

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Yes, Epiphone screwed the pooch on the whole 59 thang, but I'll say this, it is by leaps and bounds the best Epiphone I've ever played, and I don't see any QC issues other than the pick-up rings. I don't think you'll find many, if any guitar at this price point with the sound, and playability of a classic Les Paul. It sounds phenomenal to my ears, much better than any recordings on YouTube I've heard.

Peace, Keith

horax

Reaction score
Wonder how the value of these will hold up over time

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Wonder how the value of these will hold up over time
At $712.00, the price I paid for mine, it doesn't matter much IMO. I'll probably keep it anyway. I guess it depends on how many they make, and I don't think it's going to be a Limited Edition at all!! Just a really late Edition for most!

K~

CHIP702

Reaction score
Oddly, I was smitten with Steve Clark's white Les Paul custom years ago.... thought it was the ultimate LP for a bit and then all of a sudden I dislike the looks of them. I can barely operate two pickups. Three is confusing HAHA
Steve Clark is still one of the most underrated Les Paul players IMO. Really thinking of doing a Steve Clark Les Paul with a Kahler trem when Epiphone decides to do a normal 3 pick up black beauty.

bungle

Reaction score
The "50s Standard VS '59" debate has been had a few times in this thread now but I completely understand where you are coming from but I also think this is the best Epiphone could do at this price point. Now if the '59 was a $1200 guitar, I would expect things like rosewood, full flame maple top, and a nitro finish. Mine only ended up being $100 more than a 50s/60s standard so I really can't complain (besides complaining about not having it yet)
This is a $1200 guitar in Canada. The 59(coming soon)and the Black beauty (for sale)were listed the other day. Vanished off the L&M site again. The rep I talked to said ohhhhhh I’m not allowed to talk about it till the 20th? What a mess with this soon to be release! And not sure why the BB was taken down? Yay Epiphone :facepalm:

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Clark is still one of the most underrated Les Paul players IMO. Really thinking of doing a Steve Clark Les Paul with a Kahler trem when Epiphone decides to do a normal 3 pick up black beauty.
Two versions of the Joe B... mine (and it looks like most that people have bought) have no indication of being a Joe B other than the COA.
I thought it had a signature on the back of the headstock, but apparently not.
Buy the "regular" JB Custom for $800 and replace the case with one without his name on it.

It will be interesting to see how they age... whether the binding is actually tinted, or if that is a yellow clear that will wear off... though I'm sure it's poly, so it'll be a long time before it wears.
But if it is simply a tinted clear, then it could be refinished to look "normal"... leaving only the thick neck as the difference from a regular Custom.

Or... $650 for a production LPC and add a 3rd pickup. The special toggle is available from Philadelphia Luthier.

CHIP702

Reaction score
Two versions of the Joe B... mine (and it looks like most that people have bought) have no indication of being a Joe B other than the COA.
I thought it had a signature on the back of the headstock, but apparently not.
Buy the "regular" JB Custom for $800 and replace the case with one without his name on it.

It will be interesting to see how they age... whether the binding is actually tinted, or if that is a yellow clear that will wear off... though I'm sure it's poly, so it'll be a long time before it wears.
But if it is simply a tinted clear, then it could be refinished to look "normal"... leaving only the thick neck as the difference from a regular Custom.

Or... $650 for a production LPC and add a 3rd pickup. The special toggle is available from Philadelphia Luthier.
Good idea but I wouldn't want a thick neck, weird looking tuners, or the "aged" binding on it like the JB BB has. I'm sure Epiphone will put out a normal 3 pick up LPC in a year or two after the JB BB is gone. Plus I'm still waiting for my '59 to show up before I buy another guitar

Fat Elppie

Reaction score
Has anybody actually played a REAL 59? How do they compare?

;)
The general consensus seems to be that original 59s sound the way they do due to aging as much as the PAFs and wiring etc. What always pops in my head is: If it's aging then they didn't sound that way in 59 so.... you can't have both tones. I'd guess are cheap China copies don't have that nice "woody" sound that a vintage original does, but like you I'd love to hear a comparison.

Latest Threads