Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yes, a friend of mine had one for years...it was very heavy. It played great, but was ugly and heavy. A guitar is more than just a tool. It is a thing of beauty. I have to look at a guitar and be moved to want to pick it up and play it. No PRS has ever done that for me.
6.4 pounds and tone for miles. If you find this ugly, I give up.

3-.jpg

4-.jpg

cliffenstein

Reaction score
The curves are trying to be a Les Paul but they don’t look as graceful and the headstock is the worst shape this side of Dean. My friend’s was a Goldtop and had humbuckers. Yours does look cooler than his did though and those are really good photos.

fry

Reaction score
And bird inlays on the fretboard...their guitars are seriously so ugly. I don't understand why so many people buy them. I understand different people have different tastes and all, but come on!
I seriously thought you were goofing around with this post. I do think they make some beautiful guitars, the bird inlays don’t bother me at all. I just can’t get past that headstock shape, it’s bad. I know headstock shapes have been discussed to death before on here, and a lot of people don’t care. It just matters to me, a bad headstock is a dealbreaker.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
I seriously thought you were goofing around with this post. I do think they make some beautiful guitars, the bird inlays don’t bother me at all. I just can’t get past that headstock shape, it’s bad. I know headstock shapes have been discussed to death before on here, and a lot of people don’t care. It just matters to me, a bad headstock is a dealbreaker.
Oh no, I was completely serious!!!!! Totally agree about headstock shapes!!!

fry

Reaction score
Can't deny it's a damned efficient one though.
I can’t deny that the design is very good. Let’s face it, the Gibson headstock design is kind of a mess. Not the open book shape, I’m talking about the way the strings get pulled at an angle over the nut and the way it tilts back. It can lead to a lot of tuning issues. PRS designed one that is smart and efficient, avoids all those problems. He just needs to come up with a headstock shape that is a little more inspired. I noticed that on the Silver Sky, the PRS headstock is reversed from its normal design. I can’t explain why, but I think that one actually looks a little better.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
You either like or hate, there's no in between with PRS. Have you ever played one ? They are some of the best made guitars out there, even if you hate their looks. Build quallity is just fantastic.
That's not everyone. I think they're beautiful, they get the best wood of almost any builder, and they play, and sound great. I live about 100 miles from where he started building, and while in college, I met a fantastic player, and good friend who had bought 3 of the first guitars Paul sold. I couldn't believe how much they cost, who paid 2k for a guitar in the 80's? I thought they were incredible guitars, but immediately thought of them as shredder guitars, and while I thought they were so nice, even then I had no desire to own one. I've played quite a few, but I just don't want one. I really would rather have my Epi 59 than an SE, and would rather have my Tom Rodriguez Strat, and my Eastman SB59/V than a CE. They're just not for me, even though I love looking at them!
Peace, Keith

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
I'd like to add to my last post, that I don't understand why anyone would hate that headstock? It's got clean lines, is a design that's original, and definitely is better for tuning stability than Gibby's!!! I wonder if cutting the nut slots on a Gibson at an angle towards the tuner would help? I'm sure it's been tried, but every Gibson I've owned has stayed in tune just fine, especially my 335 which would only go out of tune maybe once in a two hour set. I did notice some pinging on the Eastman the other day, gonna try a little graphite, and if that doesn't work, it's nut file time. I think it's only the G string, maybe a little on the B as well. No biggie, easy fix!

Keith

Geezer101

Reaction score
That's not everyone. I think they're beautiful, they get the best wood of almost any builder, and they play, and sound great. I live about 100 miles from where he started building, and while in college, I met a fantastic player, and good friend who had bought 3 of the first guitars Paul sold. I couldn't believe how much they cost, who paid 2k for a guitar in the 80's? I thought they were incredible guitars, but immediately thought of them as shredder guitars, and while I thought they were so nice, even then I had no desire to own one. I've played quite a few, but I just don't want one. I really would rather have my Epi 59 than an SE, and would rather have my Tom Rodriguez Strat, and my Eastman SB59/V than a CE. They're just not for me, even though I love looking at them!
Peace, Keith
Where is the Eastman review man?

Geezer101

Reaction score
Thinking about a new pedal for when the 59 arrives haha!

I have a Marshall like the one in the link below. Do you guys have any recommendations for pedals that boost the LP overdriven sound? My amp has minimal effects built in as I tend to like things to be simple.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Where is the Eastman review man?
I was wondering when you'd say something. I have been slacking when it comes to doing that. I'll give it a good try this weekend! I wish I had a better camera, I hate the way the pictures of the 59 turned out, it's a mich better looking guitar than the camera showed. I'll try!

Keith

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score

I have a Marshall like the one in the link below. Do you guys have any recommendations for pedals that boost the LP overdriven sound? My amp has minimal effects built in as I tend to like things to be simple.

Thobak Overdrive/Boost. Amazing circuit, especially for the purpose you're talking about!

Seven

Reaction score

This pedal is magic in a box!

IMG_2725.jpg

DeathTongue

Reaction score
The Long & McQuade Gear Issue catalogue arrived in the mail yesterday and lists the 1959 as releasing on October 20th.

Erik_S

Reaction score

What's up Geezer101....I recommend the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Red. I think it sounds especially good with the Epi '59. Here's a sound clip where I am using it plug into a very clean Marshall Origin 20 combo.
Cheers - Erik

DrBGood

Reaction score
Is that an Epiphone washer ? Sounds really really good :h5:

83449018_614.jpg

Last edited:

KeBone22

Reaction score
Ok... so I was in sam ass 2 days ago and the rep called gibby on the phone and was told they are looking at middle November at best to get any 59's.
Stick that in my own peace pipe and reverse smoke it!
UGH

Latest Threads