Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I have been reading great things about the Eastman's, I have a Gibson LP Traditional, but I'm considering an Eastman. I gave up on these Epiphone's long ago when all the delays happened.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Hi folks! I have followed up all this huge loop as I'm interested on this Epiphone as my first Les Paul model. Thank you everyone sharing all the info and pictures.

I was tempted to order a Standard 60s Gibson Les Paul but not sure it makes sense being my first LP. What do you think? Should I go for the Epi or for the Gibson straight away? Also checked some Tokais, Maybachs, Eastmans, Bacchus, etc. Plenty of options but not sure which would fit me better as first LP.

I have asked my local dealer in Spain and said October 20th (and that Gibson confirmed to them global release event scheduled by October 10th...). And also asked Thomann about my preorder of the Dark Burst, they said mid of October. So quite aligned with all the info around.

Take care!
I say buy a Gibson! When I did, I never thought to myself “I wish I would have bought an Epiphone instead.”

I have thought about it the other way around though!

Erik_S

Reaction score
Hi folks! I have followed up all this huge loop as I'm interested on this Epiphone as my first Les Paul model. Thank you everyone sharing all the info and pictures.

I was tempted to order a Standard 60s Gibson Les Paul but not sure it makes sense being my first LP. What do you think? Should I go for the Epi or for the Gibson straight away? Also checked some Tokais, Maybachs, Eastmans, Bacchus, etc. Plenty of options but not sure which would fit me better as first LP.

I have asked my local dealer in Spain and said October 20th (and that Gibson confirmed to them global release event scheduled by October 10th...). And also asked Thomann about my preorder of the Dark Burst, they said mid of October. So quite aligned with all the info around.

Take care!
I think the Epi '59 makes a fine first Les Paul style guitar...or a fine third Les Paul style guitar. However, if you already know you'll love owning and playing a Les Paul and can afford a Gibson Standard; I'd get the Gibson. I would get the '50s instead of the '60s because I prefer the neck and the goldtop.
Cheers -- Erik

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
I have been reading great things about the Eastman's, I have a Gibson LP Traditional, but I'm considering an Eastman. I gave up on these Epiphone's long ago when all the delays happened.
I just got an SB59/V Eastman on August 6th, and I've never seen a finer guitar at any price point, and I paid $1500.00 out the door, shipping included. If you have interest in them, you should play one if there's a dealer near you.
Keith

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I just got an SB59/V Eastman on August 6th, and I've never seen a finer guitar at any price point, and I paid $1500.00 out the door, shipping included. If you have interest in them, you should play one if there's a dealer near you.
Keith
Did you buy it new from Eastman?

CR86

Reaction score
Totally agree. Buy what you want if you can afford it.
Thanks for all the inputs!

Wow mate... first Les Paul being a Custom Shop, never took this as a real chance! Hope you still keep it, being so special 1st one!

I was quite decided to stick with the Epi. But some of your comments creating debate once again :)

My doubt is whether to invest in a Gibson (I could afford but it will be on the highest level I've ever purchased and over budget) that it could be a keeper, specially I like the 60s because of the neck profile, and these latest Standard releases are back to classic/vintage specs as far as I can see (except the long tenon :-()

However going for the Epi will save quite money and in case not fitting my needs I can use it as a mod platform to learn some stuff.
And confirm if a Les Paul fits me well.

I'm currently on Strat and Tele side.

I have tried Les Paul 60s and I find the neck similar to Fender Modern C but a bit flatter and more shoulders.

Is the Epi 59 closer to Fender Modern C or chunkier? (I'm more on the medium even slinky neck profiles).

Take care!

CR86

Reaction score
I bought it new from a certified Eastman dealer, recommend by Eastman.
I wanted to check them, but the same as with Tokai, Bacchus and Maybach they are difficult to find in local stores. Specially now with the new norm stuff.

Also I have seen not too much models online, looks like the ones already produced are being sold and new ones are getting to dealers with quite delay (well...we know about here in this loop :)).

And 2nd hand seems to go higher because of this... looks the same to you?

Take care.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs!

Wow mate... first Les Paul being a Custom Shop, never took this as a real chance! Hope you still keep it, being so special 1st one!

I was quite decided to stick with the Epi. But some of your comments creating debate once again :)

My doubt is whether to invest in a Gibson (I could afford but it will be on the highest level I've ever purchased and over budget) that it could be a keeper, specially I like the 60s because of the neck profile, and these latest Standard releases are back to classic/vintage specs as far as I can see (except the long tenon :-()

However going for the Epi will save quite money and in case not fitting my needs I can use it as a mod platform to learn some stuff.
And confirm if a Les Paul fits me well.

I'm currently on Strat and Tele side.

I have tried Les Paul 60s and I find the neck similar to Fender Modern C but a bit flatter and more shoulders.

Is the Epi 59 closer to Fender Modern C or chunkier? (I'm more on the medium even slinky neck profiles).

Take care!
As far as Eastman go, they should have their next batch out by the end of October, or early November. I bought mine from a store 350 miles away, and got it based on photos, and the specs. Any Eastman authorized dealer will take good care of you, if you go that way, as far as used goes, I don't even look at them unless they're close enough to play, and used prices are insane at the moment.

I have the Epi 59, and in my opinion it's a very nice guitar for anyone, at any level. The neck is not as big as many thought it would be, it's actually almost the same size as my Tele, just a bit wider at the nut, but IMO it's a very comfortable neck, and I've always leaned towards slim necks. The Electronics, and pickups are very good, as is pretty much the whole guitar. I'm not saying which way you should go, but just letting you know that it's a very gigable guitar, and needs no mods except for maybe the pickup rings, which has nothing to do with anything but looks, they're slightly oversized due to Gibson pickups being smaller than Epiphone pups. It looks like an LP, feels like an LP, and plays and sounds like an LP.
Good Luck, Keith

Last edited:

Thegreatiam

Reaction score

Take care!
Hi CR86,
Mind if I ask where the local dealer you went to in Spain is. I'm new to Spain and the only shop I've found didn't have any info on this guitar when I asked. (that was a few months ago tho)

fleahead

Reaction score
I try to accept the concept but frankly I can't handle the mat finish. Does not look like "patina" to me in the least.

CR86

Reaction score
As far as Eastman go, they should have their next batch out by the end of October, or early November. I bought mine from a store 350 miles away, and got it based on photos, and the specs. Any Eastman authorized dealer will take good care of you, if you go that way, as far as used goes, I don't even look at them unless they're close enough to play, and used prices are insane at the moment.

I have the Epi 59, and in my opinion it's a very nice guitar for anyone, at any level. The neck is not as big as many thought it would be, it's actually almost the same size as my Tele, just a bit wider at the nut, but IMO it's a very comfortable neck, and I've always leaned towards slim necks. The Electronics, and pickups are very good, as is pretty much the whole guitar. I'm not saying which way you should go, but just letting you know that it's a very gigable guitar, and needs no mods except for maybe the pickup rings, which has nothing to do with anything but looks, they're slightly oversized due to Gibson pickups being smaller than Epiphone pups. It looks like an LP, feels like an LP, and plays and sounds like an LP.
Good Luck, Keith
I've decided (at least by now :) )I will wait for the Epi, in the end after waiting all these months I want to try it as your reviews were so good (except for some QC issues, I wouold say expected...).If I like it I'll keep it, if not I will send it back and go for the Gibson Standard 60s (well even if I like I will maybe go for it in the future as I love the Iced Tea finish...).

What about the weight? The ones that already got it, could confirm around 4Kg?

Take care!

CR86

Reaction score
Hi CR86,
Mind if I ask where the local dealer you went to in Spain is. I'm new to Spain and the only shop I've found didn't have any info on this guitar when I asked. (that was a few months ago tho)
Hi Thegreatiam, as I'm based in Barcelona I usually go to Alfasoni. My experience with them being very good so far, good service and very attentive staff. Also the physical store is very nice (and quite big).
FanaticGuitars is one other store I like in Barcelona.
I have purchased online to MadridHifi and ArdeMadrid (both based in Madrid :)). All went good so far.
Hope this helps!

Thegreatiam

Reaction score
Hi Thegreatiam, as I'm based in Barcelona I usually go to Alfasoni. My experience with them being very good so far, good service and very attentive staff. Also the physical store is very nice (and quite big).
FanaticGuitars is one other store I like in Barcelona.
I have purchased online to MadridHifi and ArdeMadrid (both based in Madrid :)). All went good so far.
Hope this helps!
Yes. Thanks. I'm not near either big city to go in person. But knowing the websites will be useful. Thanks

CR86

Reaction score
Yes. Thanks. I'm not near either big city to go in person. But knowing the websites will be useful. Thanks
You can check also in Reverb for New condition gear and filter by Spain, so you can see which potential dealers are close to your place. I discover some small stores this way and I like to support local dealers as much as possible (not always possible).
Take care!

Geezer101

Reaction score
Contacted AJ again asking if the launch would be in October. This is what he said “i understand you're excited. Please stay tuned. Official communications regarding product launches are handled though our marketing and retail teams”.

Latest Threads