Epiphone '59 Les Paul Coming

CHIP702

Reaction score
"Because of Covid delays Gibson pushed the launch date for these guitars back to October, so they asked us to remove the guitar from our website until then." This one from my email from Sweetwater, which was after I already got mine. Additionally, another person who has preferred posted a release date on their account of 10/6 on here. I certainly believe that someone might have said winter but winter isn't highly specific. I guess we'll see. Maybe it will get pushed back to 2021 even!
My sales invoice still has that October 6th release date and my salesman has assured me I'm getting it in October. I ordered mine the first week of July. All the retailers took them off their websites but I wonder if you could still get in the preorder line via phone order.

Aceroxx02

Reaction score
"Because of Covid delays Gibson pushed the launch date for these guitars back to October, so they asked us to remove the guitar from our website until then." This one from my email from Sweetwater, which was after I already got mine. Additionally, another person who has preferred posted a release date on their account of 10/6 on here. I certainly believe that someone might have said winter but winter isn't highly specific. I guess we'll see. Maybe it will get pushed back to 2021 even!
This is where I got December from. The Southern Fade is expected to ship 12/10. That's the one I want because it looks very much like the Joe Perry 59, which to me is THE ultimate burst.

Attachments

Reaction score
This is where I got December from. The Southern Fade is expected to ship 12/10. That's the one I want because it looks very much like the Joe Perry 59, which to me is THE ultimate burst.
Also, this conversation with AMS puts pre orders mid-late October as well.
Yeah, I was the one who took those screenshots from AMS as I still had the tab open when it was pulled down. Like SW, it seems that the exclusive runs will be available to ship later than the standard runs. Not terribly surprising really with the potential disruption of production and shipping that was experienced.

Geezer101

Reaction score
Its not really unnecessary though. You do realize these are made in China right? And with the state of things going on, importing things from China isn't as easy as usual. That is the issue with this. If it has nothing to do with that I'd be surprised. The only other explanation would be these were hyped up to be the most faithful 59 reissues ever offered through the Epiphone line and they may be pushing for them to hold up to the hype. If you watch reviews online, a lot of the 2020 Epiphones that were released already had issues with them straight out of the factory that contradicted the quality we were promised. So this may be a case of Covid causing delays from China, or simply the stuff getting shipped over from there isn't meeting expectations in quality.
Yes I know these are made in China! I think you are just speculating further IMO. A simple addition to the Epi website explaining what’s going on is all that’s needed.

waypost

Reaction score
Little bit off topic but does anyone have measurements on a 2020 Epiphone with the slim taper necks? I know the '59 neck will definitely be more round and thicker than my 2020 Epi LP Custom but I like seeing the numbers on things
1st fret .819" 12th fret .919"

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
So glad I don't deal with online purchases. I was the first person to order on 1/27, at 10 am EDT sharp, the first day retailers could pre-order in the States. Mine was at Sam Ash by 8/4, and they had to crimp one pot bushing, but otherwise, other than an almost 8 month wait, I couldn't have ever expected a guitar this well made. I have taken a magnifying glass and gone over everything, and cannot find the most minor QC issue! My action is so low, I need to raise it, but not a single fret buzz, no binding gaps, the flame dances all over the place, and it feels like a much higher end guitar. It is the first Epiphone
I've played that has a great c shaped neck, I haven't measured the neck, but at the first fret it seems narrow for an Epi, and is very close to the first fret of my Eastman, although the Eastman gets a lot wider near the 12th. It's the most comfortable neck I've had in over 100 guitars, and the Epi runs a close second, which I find unbelievable! I really was amazed that the Epi came out of the box with the best set up I've ever seen on a new guitar, it is perfect, with the only negative I know can say is about those pickup rings! I have to find a solution for those, they are the only weak spot on an otherwise perfect guitar, with a great neck, beautiful top, perfect binding, just everything is top notch. You stick a Gibson headstock on the guitar, and it would be a $2500.00 guitar. Lastly, and I'm certain this will make everyone think I don't know what I'm talking about, but I lined up 5 guitars with Rosewood boards, and it looks like the Epi has a Rosewood board. I will be doing a late NGD thread about the Epi, and the Eastman, and take close-ups of the Epiphone board, and other Rosewood boards, I cannot see any difference in grain, and basic colors! I think they slipped the early ones, or some of them past customs with Rosewood, it looks like no Laurel I've ever seen!

Peace, Keith

Last edited:

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Good to see you bud!
Yep, good to be seen! Nice to be out of forum jail, hahaha! I'll get that NGD post up if our power comes back on today, we lost it at 11:30 last night, and they got it on at 4:30, but no one thinks to turn their main off, and not an hour after we got power back, it blew a transformer! Soon as it's sorted out, I'll put up a thread!
Peace Pop, K~

Last edited:

Archer069

Reaction score
Yep, good to be seen! Nice to be out of for jail, hahaha! I'll get that NGD post up if our power comes back on today, we lost it at 11:30 last night, and they got it on at 4:30, but no one thinks to turn their main off, and not an hour after we got power back, it blew a transformer! Soon as it's sorted out, I'll put up a thread!
Peace Pop, K~
Welcome back brother

Geezer101

Reaction score
So glad I don't deal with online purchases. I was the first person to order on 1/27, at 10 am EDT sharp, the first day retailers could pre-order in the States. Mine was at Sam Ash by 8/4, and they had to crimp one pot bushing, but otherwise, other than an almost 8 month wait, I couldn't have ever expected a guitar this well made. I have taken a magnifying glass and gone over everything, and cannot find the most minor QC issue! My action is so low, I need to raise it, but not a single fret buzz, no binding gaps, the flame dances all over the place, and it feels like a much higher end guitar. It is the first Epiphone
I've played that has a great c shaped neck, I haven't measured the neck, but at the first fret it seems narrow for an Epi, and is very close to the first fret of my Eastman, although the Eastman gets a lot wider near the 12th. It's the most comfortable neck I've had in over 100 guitars, and the Epi runs a close second, which I find unbelievable! I really was amazed that the Epi came out of the box with the best set up I've ever seen on a new guitar, it is perfect, with the only negative I know can say is about those pickup rings! I have to find a solution for those, they are the only weak spot on an otherwise perfect guitar, with a great neck, beautiful top, perfect binding, just everything is top notch. You stick a Gibson headstock on the guitar, and it would be a $2500.00 guitar. Lastly, and I'm certain this will make everyone think I don't know what I'm talking about, but I lined up 5 guitars with Rosewood boards, and it looks like the Epi has a Rosewood board. I will be doing a late NGD thread about the Epi, and the Eastman, and take close-ups of the Epiphone board, and other Rosewood boards, I cannot see any difference in grain, and basic colors! I think they slipped the early ones, or some of them past customs with Rosewood, it looks like no Laurel I've ever seen!

Peace, Keith
Eastman review first please as that’s what I’m likely to get now the 59 has been delayed again.

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Eastman review first please as that’s what I’m likely to get now the 59 has been delayed again.
Will do, and at the price I paid, you can do no wrong! The Epiphone is a really nice production guitar, but the Eastman is a handcrafted fine instrument, and the most beautiful, and well made I've ever held. I'd rather have a great Eastman, than a $4-5000.00 CS Gibson. At least all the CS Gibby's I've put my paws on. I'll get it up as soon as the power comes back on!
Keith

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have an Eastman SB-59/v-GB. It's much better playing experience. If you can grab a varnish used, it's a great deal, usually.

With the Epiphone, you can tell you are playing something that has made compromises. There is nothing about the Eastman that feels like a compromise, (edit) except for the toggle switch is a lesser Switchcraft than is on the Epi 59 and you can feel it.

My PRS 594 with Brazilian board, TCI pick low winds, and nitro is a somewhat better guitar - better neck profile, better stock pick ups, amazing split coil, and great playability. But, that was a $5000 guitar when new. The Eastman swings about $1000 over its cost new to me.

Last edited:

Capo Dei Capi

Reaction score
I think they slipped the early ones, or some of them past customs with Rosewood, it looks like no Laurel I've ever seen!
Wow imagine if they did that. Or imagine if they made the first 100 with rosewood and the rest will come with laurel.

waypost

Reaction score

Peace, Keith
The ban on rosewood was lifted in 2019..... It’s official: CITES rules will no longer apply to rosewood used musical instruments! The end date has been fixed: 26 November 2019. https://www.gearnews.com/cites-rules-end-for-rosewood-in-musical-instruments-official-end-date-announced/

Capo Dei Capi

Reaction score
That would look awful on the company's behalf, not say unfair for everyone else. Everyone should get the same spec guitar.
That could be a reason why they haven't released the spec of the first ones sold. But some people are saying they got laurel and others are saying rosewood.

I think this has all been done on purpose. I think the next ones will come with laurel for sure.

Finally, i read somewhere on this site a long time ago, that laurel and rosewood are from the same tree family. Wouldn't/couldn't they look similar. People mistaking laurel for rosewood.

Reaction score
That could be a reason why they haven't released the spec of the first ones sold. But some people are saying they got laurel and others are saying rosewood.

I think this has all been done on purpose. I think the next ones will come with laurel for sure.

Finally, i read somewhere on this site a long time ago, that laurel and rosewood are from the same tree family. Wouldn't/couldn't they look similar. People mistaking laurel for rosewood.
I think that Laurel and Rosewood often do look similar. People wouldn't even question it all the much without the Anderton's video and some of the stuff from NAMM. They should have never spoiled it all that way.

Latest Threads