Epiphone 59 already showing signs of wear

Spirit

Reaction score
I must admit I’m a little surprised to that there is already signs of wear to the frets and fret board itself
it is my only guitar and I do play for minimum of 3 hour almost everyday,even so ive only had it since march
anyone else finding the same thing

BDW60

Reaction score
Some people are hard on frets. Some people can play for many years and hardly leave a mark.

Epi frets aren’t the best, but three hours per day qualifies as heavy use to me. But I do wonder what you mean by wear on the actual fretboard. The laurel is pretty hard.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
an honest 3hrs a day is heavy use. I wouldn't be surprised at the wear showing.

Spirit

Reaction score
Some people are hard on frets. Some people can play for many years and hardly leave a mark.

Epi frets aren’t the best, but three hours per day qualifies as heavy use to me. But I do wonder what you mean by wear on the actual fretboard. The laurel is pretty hard.
thanks I’ll get some pics up when the light is better,you can see the fingermarks engrainining into the wood ,sort of making it shiny,probably needs oiling maybe .

Spirit

Reaction score
an honest 3hrs a day is heavy use. I wouldn't be surprised at the wear showing.
thanks yes it is an honest 3 hours,scales in all positions first ,chords open ,power and barre. Then it’s song practice then feeplay,
at the weekend Im probably doing around 6 hours so as you have both said it’s normal for the amount of use it has

i love playing this guitar more than any other I have owned,I got up on a Sunday at 7.30 am just to do some practice

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
thanks I’ll get some pics up when the light is better,you can see the fingermarks engrainining into the wood ,sort of making it shiny,probably needs oiling maybe .
I think large part also depends on playing style. As BDW60 mentioned, Epiphone's frets aren't the best. But that being said, it really depends on hard you fret. I've bought second hand guitars (other brands, including US made Fenders) that were barely played but the previous owner still manage to put slight divots into the frets. For guitars I bought new, including an Epi I've had since '96, they barely have much fret wear even with fairly extensive playing.

I brought up the Fender thing because I've always really liked that worn thru maple neck look... but I've not even been able to leave a sweat mark on my Fenders :doh: (corrosion doesn't count)

Spirit

Reaction score
I think large part also depends on playing style. As BDW60 mentioned, Epiphone's frets aren't the best. But that being said, it really depends on hard you fret. I've bought second hand guitars (other brands, including US made Fenders) that were barely played but the previous owner still manage to put slight divots into the frets. For guitars I bought new, including an Epi I've had since '96, they barely have much fret wear even with fairly extensive playing.

I brought up the Fender thing because I've always really liked that worn thru maple neck look... but I've not even been able to leave a sweat mark on my Fenders :doh: (corrosion doesn't count)
Yes I agree I have a very aggressive style really like to dig in and hit the strings and the board hard.
didn’t realise how hard I was fretting notes, my aim is to try and wear the frets out and the board,
I can honestly say that not since my 20:s have I enjoyed an instrument so much,I am practicing llike I did back in the day

jbash

Reaction score
The last Epiphone I owned required a complete re- fret within 7 months. I posted pics here years ago. Complete garbage.

Historically they always have used junk metal for frets (barring the MIJ models). I was not going to pay more for a re-fret than what I paid for the guitar $420 vs $400 and gave it away. Never again.

Latest Threads