Epiphone 58 Korina Flying V ???

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
I've been looking for a cheap backup guitar and the Epi Korina V's looked kinda nice !! Anyone out there have one to fill me in on how they play ??? :wave::confused:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just played an Epi Korina Explorer yesterday at the shop, and I was very surprised by how nice it felt and played. On whole, it felt better than the majority of the Epi LP's that I've had my hands on. I didn't plug it in - so I can't say anything regarding electronics, but the Korina body looked great, the neck felt great, and the construction seemed to be top notch. (although it appeared to be a 4 or 5 piece body - I couldn't see the seams along the top, so it may have a veneer as well - I didn't look real closely, but did notice several pieces along the bottom edge of the guitar).

Let us know if you end up getting one and what you think of it! I'm quite tempted by that Explorer myself...

chuckymack

Reaction score
Dude, it's freakin' KORINA. You're never gonna find another Korina guitar for TWICE that price. Buy it now. Worry later.

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, it's freakin' KORINA. You're never gonna find another Korina guitar for TWICE that price. Buy it now. Worry later.
The new ones are mahogany bodies with a Korina veneer over top .... If ya wanna get technical about it !! :wave:

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a cheap backup guitar and the Epi Korina V's looked kinda nice !! Anyone out there have one to fill me in on how they play ??? :wave::confused:
I have an Epiphone '67-style V. It is REAL nice! Much lighter than you might expect. I am sure the '58-style is nice too, if the quality of mine is any indicator.

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
Wadda ya think ? Are these V's worth $500 ??

G-Minor

Reaction score
Heres my take. Okay i was in your position kinda. i could either get an epi korina v or get a gibson for $79 more. i ended up with a gibson faded because i found the greatest one after looking for two weeks. but the epi korina i played came in second because it was great for blues and classic rock. It felt like a gibson though. the neck was great. one thing i was not sold on was the strap pin connector.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Something looked wrong with that Epi V on Ebay ... Look how the ABR1 screws are way above the bridge !! ( maybe the wheels are just way down ? ) Why do some have Klusons and others Grovers ?
The older ones had Kluson type the newer Grover

BillB1960

Reaction score
The new ones are mahogany bodies with a Korina veneer over top .... If ya wanna get technical about it !! :wave:
Yeah I know this is a 2 year old thread but I'm in the market right now and the korina flying V has been speaking to me but not loud enough to prompt me to spend $6500 for the Gibson version!

So...who has one and how do you like it?

Oh and 1 more piece of info, the body is NOT mahogany with a korina veneer, it's multi piece korina with a korina veneer.

GilmourD

Reaction score
So, the question that raises in my mind... Were they ever all Korina?

AK Epi Player

Reaction score
I have an '05 Epi Korina Explorer, and I love it. It is what got me into Epiphones in the first place. Fit and finish is beautiful, and it is even a stamped "2nd". I got it with the case about a year and a half ago on ebay for $350 :dude: The only thing I've ever found "wrong" with it is the upper tailpiece post isn't perfectly vertical into the body (tilted away from the neck ever so slightly), but it sounds great, and hardly ever goes out of tune.

The main body is 3 pieces, with the tips added on to them. Somewhere in the "Other Gibsons" forum, on an Explorer thread, I have all the dimensions for them listed. The main, center piece is over 5" wide, and the other two are around 4" or so. Nice veneer on the top, but the Korina grain is so nice, I wonder what one would look like without the veneer? Kind of a "naked Explorer" :hmm:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
ive got an older korina v,it seems to be put together quite nicely.lighter than my les paul(also an earlier epi)and you can sure reach the upper frets on it...