Epiphone 2009 vs 2020 Les Paul 1959 Standard

MDF64

Reaction score
Hi folks, long time lurker first time poster here in Toronto.

I've been interested and waiting for the 2020 1959 Standard to show up again here in stores. The first batch were scooped up pretty quickly and I never did get a chance to try them out.

A few years ago I had a 1960 V3 Standard which I really liked so I thought the new 1959 Standard would be right up my alley.

That being said in the last couple of days a 2009 1959 Standard showed up in the local CL, and a 2020 showed up in a local store used. I want to grab one of them! The 2009 would work out to be about $400 less given the extra sales tax for the 2020 at the store.

I checked the specs of both guitars and they seem to be almost identical other than the finish. Maybe the neck profile is different?

I was wondering from those that may have owned both the 2009 and now the 2020 what your opinion may be for either guitar. Thanks

BDW60

Reaction score
If you liked a skinny V3 60s neck, not sure why you are thinking about an R9. Unless you just like them in all sizes ... :) That said, generally speaking, the 2009 era R9s had bigger necks with more shoulder than the Carmelita carve on the 2019s and newer.

That 2009 R9 is likely to be a baseball bat compared to the V3 60s. The 2020 will still be a lot bigger than what you had.

simon connor

Reaction score
Yeah, as I understand it a V3 is about 0.80/1st fret, and a regular 1959 reissue is about 0.90/1st fret. That doesn't seem like much, but it feels like a huge amount.

simon connor

Reaction score
Oops, sorry, I thought you talking about Gibson. I don't know anything about Epiphone guitars.

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
2019 and 2020....from the literature and serious research....are said to be the high water mark for LES PAULS in the modern era.....That and the fact that my investments actually made money during COVID drove me to action and i bought my second Gibson in July 2020.....having purchased a brand new Les Paul Custom....the fret less wonder in 1971. The brand new gloss Gibson Custom Shop Wildwood Spec R8 with 60s V2 neck is stunningly superior to the 1971 Gibson. The Custom Buckers are spectacular. The R8 is 8.4 lbs, resonates incredibly acoustically and sustains spectacularly when amplified through a Boogie Mark IV, Vibrolux and a Clark Piedmont. I have played along side a very good player with a much earlier year class Les Paul....no contest.....not even close. The cosmetic appeal of a guitar while important is not how i evaluate a guitar...Is it a hot player..and how does it sound.....does it have the long neck tenon.....Custom Buckers.....sheathed truss rod....old school wiring harness.....500k pots....etc etc...I say invest the $400 and go for the 2020. It's brand new and represents the fulfillment of the Gibson Legacy. BUY ONCE CRY ONCE...

KStopper65

Reaction score
If you liked a skinny V3 60s neck, not sure why you are thinking about an R9. Unless you just like them in all sizes ... :) That said, generally speaking, the 2009 era R9s had bigger necks with more shoulder than the Carmelita carve on the 2019s and newer.

That 2009 R9 is likely to be a baseball bat compared to the V3 60s. The 2020 will still be a lot bigger than what you had.
2019 and 2020....from the literature and serious research....are said to be the high water mark for LES PAULS in the modern era.....That and the fact that my investments actually made money during COVID drove me to action and i bought my second Gibson in July 2020.....having purchased a brand new Les Paul Custom....the fret less wonder in 1971. The brand new gloss Gibson Custom Shop Wildwood Spec R8 with 60s V2 neck is stunningly superior to the 1971 Gibson. The Custom Buckers are spectacular. The R8 is 8.4 lbs, resonates incredibly acoustically and sustains spectacularly when amplified through a Boogie Mark IV, Vibrolux and a Clark Piedmont. I have played along side a very good player with a much earlier year class Les Paul....no contest.....not even close. The cosmetic appeal of a guitar while important is not how i evaluate a guitar...Is it a hot player..and how does it sound.....does it have the long neck tenon.....Custom Buckers.....sheathed truss rod....old school wiring harness.....500k pots....etc etc...I say invest the $400 and go for the 2020. It's brand new and represents the fulfillment of the Gibson Legacy. BUY ONCE CRY ONCE...
Yeah, as I understand it a V3 is about 0.80/1st fret, and a regular 1959 reissue is about 0.90/1st fret. That doesn't seem like much, but it feels like a huge amount.
This

gsmacleod

Reaction score
I have the 2009 version and it's a great guitar although I've always disliked the rim burst. Beyond that though, a great player and a very solid guitar.

The neck on mine is not very chunky and although over never measured, it is much closer to a slim taper than the chunkier necks I have (1960 V1, Inspired by '55, :jb: goldtop and '57 RI Jr).

I've not played a new one for comparison so I can't help there.

Shane

MDF64

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys so far. I added Epiphone to the title.

I'm going to go check out the 2009 Standard 1959 today. It's cherryburst, and from the pics looks to be in very good shape.
I can't try out the 2020 guitar at the store because of lock down unfortunatley.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Good luck brother! Share pics of the Epiphone Les Paul you check out please, hope you get the right neck profile, it doesn't need to match the V3 otherwise just play that one. Cheers

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really comes down, imho to :

1. Do you prefer old Epi Headstock or new Gibson like one
2. Which feels better in your hands
3. Which sounds better (at least try both unplugged
4. Which finish speaks to you better.

truckermde

Reaction score
If you're saying one is $400 less than the other, that means the more expensive one is more than twice the price of the cheaper one, right?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Really comes down, imho to :

1. Do you prefer old Epi Headstock or new Gibson like one
2. Which feels better in your hands
3. Which sounds better (at least try both unplugged
4. Which finish speaks to you better.
I'd go in that order: 2, 3, 4 and 1 last

gsmacleod

Reaction score
If you're saying one is $400 less than the other, that means the more expensive one is more than twice the price of the cheaper one, right?

The OP is in Canada and I think the list price up here is $1150 which makes the final taxes in price around $1300.

Shane

truckermde

Reaction score
Same. Thin non rimbust finish and no ridiculous headstock.
Just because the finish is matte, that doesn't make it "thin".

You know it's still essentially dipped in plastic.

I'm totally with ya on the rim-burst thing, though...

:cheers2:

Seven

Reaction score
Mine is sprayed extremely thin. So thin the wood can actual breath.

Latest Threads