Epiphone 1962 Re-issue Truss Rod Question

Frankg11

Reaction score
I cross posted here from the other epi forum as I may have posted in the wrong place.

So here it goes:

I am having a bit of an issue with my Sheraton 212T 1962 Re-issue.

During setup I have a bit of truss rod issue. The neck is straight flat and I can't seem to get any type of relief in the neck.

I do measure relief with a Capo on fret 1 and the 12 fret pressed and measure at 7.

It is strung with 9's

So Clockwise, Counter Clockwise Slack on the truss nut seems to make no difference in the relief of the neck. Either back bow or forward bow.

I have put a fair bit of Clockwise pressure on the nut and left it that way for 24+ hours no Backbow

The converse is also true.

I have left the nut slack no pressure at all on the truss rod.. No change in relief.

Background: I have set up many guitars Strats, LP's, Teles, Jazzmasters, Taylor Solid Body (There is a mess of a bridge btw). Even other peoples guitars sucessfully.

This one has me stumped.

Ideas?

jkes01

Reaction score
I got an Epi 339 pro for Xmas and I noticed the same thing, apparently they are 2way rods.

Was able get relief turning counter clockwise, if you are not used to 2way rods, it just seems wrong turning backwards and it getting tighter. It did take a few turns, but can get there. You might need to help it into an up bow with a clamp and piece of wood. If you are not comfortable with this, please seek a professional.

String gauge is also a factor since they come with 10s from the factory. Even loose, the 9s can't pull it into an up bow. Maybe with 11s, but why torture yourself :cool:

Frankg11

Reaction score
I do have a set of 10's and 11's. I will put on 10's tonight and turn ccw with a tentative bit of authority.

:shock::shock:

Will let you now the outcome.

Frankg11

Reaction score
Follow up

I have one set of 11's in my stash so I ran with those. Can't play the guitar with this gauge of string... Don't know what I was thinking when I bought those... LOL

So even slack nut with 11's tuned up sharp, very little relief, so I tighten the nut CCW with a bit more authority this morning. Getting a bit of relief now.

I just don't usually use that much force on a single action Truss Rod to take out relief.

New worlds very small steps.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Custom run Dot Sunburst and the 2- way rattles in between bow and relief and yes, it does take being willing to "gorilla" it a bit- I won't even use a ball-end allen wrench on them. A little disconcerting, and frankly, a decent 2-way goes quickly from one to the other. I have a very low overall setup (at 12, low "E" is barely under 1/16th and high "E" is barely over 1/32nd with.008 at eighth fret) but to get to that .008, I ended up really working up to crankin' on it. I am less confident these days--some may recall I RIPPED the headstock off of a very well made clone while forcing some relief by hand ( wish it had been scarfed, but "NOOOO," it was one piece of perfectly 1/4 sawn close grained non-punky mahogany). I have 2 more of these clones with premium hardware and electronics (likely $500+ in the working parts)- an experiment that was successful in feel and tone. And they perhaps equal "real" Gibsons-closer than a nice "EPI," anyway. "No brag, just fact." ( "The Real McCoys"; Walter Brennan, a great old character actor).

In the few necks I have done over the past few years, I used the 2-ways sold by LMI and Allied and I hope to try a couple of the new "Martin-type" sometime; I think I got 2 "open" 2- rod stainless from each source and 2 of the Martin style from LMI. Unfortunately none have gotten past squared blanks with TR installed.

Frankg11

Reaction score
So here is an update...

I finally have had some success with getting relief in the neck.

I ran 11's tuned sharp and kept cranking the truss rod CCW. Had more than enough in the neck so slacked the 11's and waited. I still have relief so, now I can go back and get the clearance I want. I think I turned the nut a total of 10/8th in total to get a bit more relief than I need.

Lesson learned, It takes much more force to turn the nut than I expected or would even be comfortable with. I turned the nut 1/8 at a time just to make sure I didn't break anything.

So wow! much different than my single action's that I have in every other guitar I have. I am still amazed at how much force it took.

P.S. not damage or cracking or creaking or other noised that would have been indicative of hurting something.

Thanks for your information to give me the confidence to keep going CCW...

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Glad for you. Sometimes they make noises, even when working properly. Makes a fellow very hesitant-gentle.

Frankg11

Reaction score
No Kidding. Never turned a truss rod with that much force. Good news is that it didn't make any noise.

Put 10's on it last night and started to play it a bit. Still needs fine tuning however it's much better than it was. Action is much lower now than it was and plays much better.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Another successful result for a member using suggestions from several other members- ain't this a great site? Especially this "Corner" and sometimes "Custom Shop," too. There is a good chance that there will be more subtle tweaks in the next few days, so don't be disappointed or worried.

Latest Threads