Epiphone 1961 (Les Paul) SG Question

Pancreas

Reaction score
Hey Group,
I am currently the proud owner of a new Epiphone '59 Les Paul and a new Epiphone Les Paul Custom.
I'm considering buying one of the new Epiphone 1961 (Les Paul) SG models.
What I'm wanting to know is if there are any major tonal differences between the 59 Les Paul and the 61 SG, being as they are both equipped with the same Burstbucker pickups.
I'm well aware of the playability differences between the two models.
Does anyone here own both guitars? And if so, what differences are there?
I would expect the SG to be a bit brighter sounding, with a bit more top end.
Thanks!
New LPs.jpg

Gar

Reaction score
The neck pickup is in a different location on and SG compared to a Les Paul, so it is a little brighter. I find it gets rid of that wooly low end that some Les Pauls can have. I have a Gibson LP and an SG that both have the same pickups and in my experience they are similar, but I prefer the SG neck pickup, especially with the tone rolled all the way off, not just for 'woman' tone but a really flutey singing lead tone. The physical differences in the feel you mention change the way you approach each guitar, and the SG really does play so effortlessly in the upper register, really impacts the overall tones you are going to get out of them. I think there are more than enough differences to justify having both. I'd say the SG appears to have a slightly forward mid tone, with a little less low end and a touch more hair, to use all of the cliche phrases. Hope that helps.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Pretty much what Gar wrote, yes they do sound different. It's not only the neck pup that is at a different place on a SG, so is the bridge pickup. Not by much, but enough to make a difference.

They are different animals.

Pickup positions  SG vs LP.jpg

Spirit

Reaction score
I agree also Sg is definitely thinner sounding in the midrange,

DrBGood

Reaction score
One thing to know beforehand. The SG doesn't hang off your body like a LP does. It is something a lot of newcomers to the SG have a hard time with. You just have to take the time to find the sweet spot on that. The LP hangs square in front of you as the SG is more comfortable hanging on the hip a bit. That way the lower frets are easier to reach, another complaint from newcomers. It is also often played with the neck at an upward angle instead of dead horizontal.

Once you've adopted the SG though, there's no turning back. Your LPs will get jealous of the playing time they lose to the new kid.

2021-12-04.jpg

Pancreas

Reaction score
The neck pickup is in a different location on and SG compared to a Les Paul, so it is a little brighter. I find it gets rid of that wooly low end that some Les Pauls can have. I have a Gibson LP and an SG that both have the same pickups and in my experience they are similar, but I prefer the SG neck pickup, especially with the tone rolled all the way off, not just for 'woman' tone but a really flutey singing lead tone. The physical differences in the feel you mention change the way you approach each guitar, and the SG really does play so effortlessly in the upper register, really impacts the overall tones you are going to get out of them. I think there are more than enough differences to justify having both. I'd say the SG appears to have a slightly forward mid tone, with a little less low end and a touch more hair, to use all of the cliche phrases. Hope that helps.
Thanks so much man. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for! I think I've figured out my next purchase. I've only owned one SG before, and it was a Gibson SG Special, with mini-humbuckers. I ended up selling it as I didn't care for those pickups, but I liked the feel of the SG itself.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Pretty much what Gar wrote, yes they do sound different. It's not only the neck pup that is at a different place on a SG, so is the bridge pickup. Not by much, but enough to make a difference.

They are different animals.

View attachment 639765
Great to hear, thanks man. I'm really leaning towards the white 61 SG

Pancreas

Reaction score
One thing to know beforehand. The SG doesn't hang off your body like a LP does. It is something a lot of newcomers to the SG have a hard time with. You just have to take the time to find the sweet spot on that. The LP hangs square in front of you as the SG is more comfortable hanging on the hip a bit. That way the lower frets are easier to reach, another complaint from newcomers. It is also often played with the neck at an upward angle instead of dead horizontal.

Once you've adopted the SG though, there's no turning back. Your LPs will get jealous of the playing time they lose to the new kid.

View attachment 639836
That'll be interesting, I've played Les Pauls for 30 years! ✌️

dCi_king

Reaction score
I currently own an Epiphone Custom and a Gibson R8 and I am between this SG and the Epiphone TV yellow. I think both are nice instruments for the money. Any advice will be apreciated.

Spirit

Reaction score
Sg is a different beast that’s for sure,an excellent addition to the les paul

DrBGood

Reaction score
I currently own an Epiphone Custom and a Gibson R8 and I am between this SG and the Epiphone TV yellow. I think both are nice instruments for the money. Any advice will be apreciated.
'61 SG = humbuckers
TV Yellow Special = P90

dCi_king

Reaction score
'61 SG = humbuckers
TV Yellow Special = P90
I know... I want something lighter and different. I have never tried P90s. I love the lightweigh of the SG and the simplicity of the special...

Last edited:

USTTRM

Reaction score
Well the SG is all Mahogany body and neck. That Maple cap you have on your 59’ is a major tonal change from that SG.
Best to have ‘em both.

Spirit

Reaction score
I am currently custodian to over 40 High end Guitars,including 4 Gibson SG,s, one of which has p90,s SG bass,as well as the Epiphone Toni iomi Sg,
I like the tonal differences but do not the like the way the Sg feels on the strap whatsoever,
Give me a les Paul anytime over an SG

Pancreas

Reaction score
Personally, I avoid P90's. They are great pickups for clean and crunch, they get unwieldy and noisy when higher gain is introduced. The noise is what bothers me most.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I have the original 61 SG LP I bought in 1961. PAFs and side pull trem. I keep it because it was my first real guitar and almost never play it. I have better player’s guitars. The only thing that keeps it from having neck dive is that massive (otherwise worthless) trem unit. It’s tone lacks the depth of my LP and my other two bucker guitars, and I like my tone with a lit of depth. Not all players feel the same, and at high volumes it sustains forever. However I never get to play at high volumes, and at lower volumes it is weak. Best to play before you pay.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Pancreas, I too have no luck with P90s due to buzz when gain and/or volume is increased below a certain point (way below metal concert settings). On my one P90 equipped LP, I gave up and switched to SD noise canceling P90.

Latest Threads