Epiphone 1960 Tribute from ?Japan?

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
As an owner of the 2010 tribute plaintop model, i don't understand why that run of guitars don't have the "Limited Edition" badge on the back of the headstock. They don't sell them any more and I'm sure there were only a certain amount made.
...since we're chiming in on headstock gripes. :)

What does it really matter? It really wouldn't increase the value at all.

Lud'Ho

Reaction score
Hello,

A few years later, i come back to this post. Maybe could I make some mistakes with te language because I live in Belgium and I am not sure with English.

So, In 2009 or 2010, I bought a NEW Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute

The serial Number is F304251. The guitar dater says made in Japan in the year 2003. I think it is not possible because this model was only produced during 3 or 4 years. And there is this mention " Hand-Crafted in China".

Lud'Ho

Reaction score
Hello again, I just found this now

• B - Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)
  • BW - ____?____ (China)
  • CI - Cort (Indonesia)
  • DW - DaeWon (China)
  • EA - QingDao (China) = Epiphone Acoustic
  • ED - Dongbei (China) = In Chinese "Dongbei" means Northeast.
  • EE - QingDao (China) = Epiphone Electric
  • F - Fuji-gen (Japan) = Elite/Elitist models (see post below on Epiphone Japan Serial Numbers)
  • F - Qingdao (China) = Les Paul Standard '59 / '60 / Tribute Models (see bottom of post on F-Serial Numbers Used on LP Std'59/'60 models and Tribute/Plus models)
  • F/FN - Fine Guitars (Korea) = non-Japanese models
  • FC - ____?____ (China 2000's) Possibly "Global Fine Supply Ltd."
  • FC - Fuji-Gen (Japan 1990's)
  • H - _______ (China?) Found on a 1995 El Nino
  • G/GG - Identified as early modern Masterbilt acoustics (Epiphone says they have no record of G serials)
  • GR - Grand Reward (Farida, Guang Dong) China, Seen on some early Masterbilt acoustics
  • GP - ____?____ (Korea) found on a BB King Lucille from 2001 (verified by Epiphone Customer Service)
  • I - Saein (Korea)
  • J - Terada Gakki Seisakusyo (Japan)
  • J - Unknown. Possibly Jakarta, Indonesia - Found on a 1997 S-310
  • JK - ??? Korea or Indonesia - Found on a 1999 G-310 Junior
  • K - Korea Ins. (Korea)
  • L - Leader Musical Instrument Co Ltd (Korea)
  • MC - Muse (China)
  • MR - Mirr factory, China
  • N - See: FN
  • O - Choice (Korea)
  • P/R - Peerless (Korea)
  • QG - Qingdao Gibson (China) - Interim designation used prior to "EA" & "EE"
  • S - Samick (Korea)
  • SI - Samick (Bogor, Indonesia)
  • SJ - SaeJun (China)
  • SK - ???
  • SM - Samil (Korea)
  • SN - ____?____ (Indonesia)
  • T - Terada Gakki Seisakusyo (Japan)
  • U - Unsung (Korea)
  • UC - Unsung China (China)
  • WF - ____?____ (China) found on an Accu Bass Junior from 2001
  • X - ____ (China) - Early to mid 1990's serial number label - Verified by Epiphone Customer Service. Seen on "Epi" brand guitars.
  • Y - Korea (seen on a PR775CE)
  • Z - Zaozhuang Saehan (China)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/139846-epiphone-serial-number-decoding/

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
The serial Number is F304251. The guitar dater says made in Japan in the year 2003. I think it is not possible because this model was only produced during 3 or 4 years. And there is this mention " Hand-Crafted in China".

Hi,
Welcome here @ MyLesPaul
:wave:

Guitar-un-dater is wrong (again)

according to my research your guitar was made at the end of 2010

F..serials on Tributes and others

F-Serial used on LP Std'59/'60 models and Tribute/Plus models
This newest serial number system used by Epiphone is not yet completely deciphered.

'F' doesn't refer to 'Fine, Korea' - nor to 'Fuji-gen, Japan' - New "F" models are made in China.

This serial number system doesn't exactly tell the year - and doesn't tell the month at all.
  • Beginning with F300000 in late 2009 used on LP Std'59/Std'60/Tribute models
  • Continued around F310650~F311050 in spring 2012 on Tribute-Plus models
  • Continued around F305000 in 2011
  • Continued around F310000 in 2012
  • Continued around F317000 in 2013
  • Continued around F324000 in 2014
  • Continued around F330000 in 2015
  • Continued around F340000 in 2018

rednefceleb

Reaction score
I had the premier luthier in S.F. Cal. something that stuck with me. I asked him if I should install a custom neck. He said "If the neck feels good to you, then don't replace it". I own one and you have to be happy with that guitar, they are one of the best sounding and playing Epi non-Japanese guitars. I used to look @ the country where a guitar was made to judge it. Now it's the last thing I look at. Enjoy your Les Paul. :thumb:

moreles

Reaction score
Guitar dater is unreliable, period. While it is often right, it is not definitive -- frequently enough demonstrably wrong -- and it does not help to have people using it for wish fulfillment. There are plenty of people here with objective knowledge and their posts are really helpful, unlike the other 50% of posts that consist of: "uh, I heard from some guy that this particular model, was actually made by hand, by John Bolin, while on a trip through Asia..." Fujigen guitars can be great. This was not made there.

Latest Threads