Epi Std: P'up Upgrade

2themax

Reaction score
I've got a '08 Epi LP Std (Ebony) and a few years ago did a wiring upgrade and replaced the stock Epi's with a set of Toneriders (Classic Alnico II in the neck with Alnico IV bridge). It was big improvement over the the stock pups but not really the tone I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a classic LP sound, "Pearly Gates" ala ZZ Top. The Gibbon's touch is not going to happen but I'd like to get the guitar a little closer. One recommendation was to go with a Gibson 57 Classic or Classic +.

I really like the way the guitar plays just would like a little better tone. Looking for suggestions from folks that have been down this road.

Thanks... really appreciate all the info here.

FYI: If the 57 classic is the way to go - do you go with the same pup for both neck and bridge?

fishered

Reaction score
57 classic neck and 57 classic plus bridge I really like the tone of them in my tribute plus. there is a set in the member classifieds

rabidhamster

Reaction score
If you like ZZ top, and like the Pearly Gates sound, perhaps you'll like his signature pickup, the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.

2themax

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I found a set of Gibby's so we'll see how it goes from there... Will follow on how it turns out.

Max

Latest Threads