Epi Special One finish ... what is it ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
I have a Epiphone LP Special P90 in TV Yellow, and I made a surface blister from a screwdriver slide from adjusting the bridge height (don't ask ...). The finish was lifted from the wood and made a small ¼ inch whitish bubble.

I read somewhere that an electric iron (for clothes) could swell the wood with some hot water. So I figured it could lift the wood enough and the blister would recede.

Yeah right ...

All it did was make the blister larger. So I figured that I might as well remove the lifted finish from that area and try a local refinish. The finish came of real easy with my nail. Did an OK job at refinishing.

But it made me wonder if you could strip a whole guitar with a simple iron, a flat bodied guitar that is. Anybody tried it ?

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I think the finish gumms up too much, but using a hot air gun works fast.

moreles

Reaction score
Flamethrower followed by woodchipper. More seriously: flat surfaces are easy to strip. I like solvents and a scraper, but it's probably more responsible environmentally to use a heat gun.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the poly finishes laugh at stripper. Heat gun is the way to go, but...be careful. It will pop and burn, and the wood scorches easily.

Latest Threads