Epi LP Std... Solid maple cap and maple neck?

Jason G

Reaction score
I was under the impressiom that the Epi Les Pauls had a mahogany body with a maple VENEER cap? Can someone please verify this info? And if so, has this always been the case, or for how long? Also, what about the maple neck... (yes, this is a glue in and not a bolt on)?

The guitar in question is an '06 Epi Les Paul Std. Cheap enough to consider at a local pawn shop, resonates and plays well, plus it has Duncan pups, though I don't know which models? They said they'd throw in a Gibby LP case, so kinda thinkin about the deal???

Anyway, easy enough to see the neck is maple. There is a ding/gouge in the top that goes deeper than a veneer would be and it's all maple. So I searched around the body and sure enough, found several places where I could see the maple cap joint-line setting lower than the binding.

I'm wondering if this is the norm for an Epi of this age... both the solid top cap and the maple neck? Anyone know?

thanks and take care,

Jason G in TX

Fuelish

Reaction score
I think it's along the lines of "mahogany" body of X number of pieces, cap of whatever ("maple," "mahogany," "alder"), maple veneer, "mahogany" neck of at least 3 pieces. No matter, I love my Std +top.... Miss Honey is one sweet guitar, whatever she's made of...:cool:

Jason G

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. So I see in the "cutaway" pic from the link there is a solid cap of some sort, maple/alder/etc. I guess I was thinking on for a "veneered" cap that the body slab would be all mahogany(of whatever grade, # of pcs, and actual species) with the arch carved into it and then the maple veneer applied onto this contoured top? Still wondering if the maple neck would be "normal" or common for these instruments during this time?

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Maple necks are not used on Epi LP Standards, it is a mahogany or mahogany related wood that is used for them.

If any had a maple neck it would be the Zakk Wylde LP Customs.

ledlover01

Reaction score
sometimes i heard there can be 4 peices of maple(mystery wood) under the veener and they have 3 peice necks and backs.

Jason G

Reaction score
Maple necks are not used on Epi LP Standards, it is a mahogany or mahogany related wood that is used for them.

If any had a maple neck it would be the Zakk Wylde LP Customs.

OK then, for the sake of argument I'll see if I can drop back by there today, take another look at the instrument and put the issue of "is it or isn't it" to rest. It is always possible that I miss-identified it, but as most of us here who know or have worked with much wood at all, the maples and related species look nothing like "the mahoganies"(whether genuine or not). Not usually an easy miss I'd say. Anyway, a trip back will allow for a positive ID, and a chance to look it over once more and perhaps bring in a few straight edges to check the fingerboard. I could try and snap some pics of the wood grain of the neck? I'll definitely try that and see if I can get some good clear pics. Also, I may go ahead and pick up those 2 old sewing machines they have for a few bucks to convert into pickup winders.:thumb: FWIW, I am and have been a custom wood fabricator for 25 years, and a wooden instrument lover and overall just plain wood and natural materials nut for even longer. Not meaning to sound haughty here, but it is the main reason I posted after I had inspected the instrument.

thanks everyone,

Jason in Texas

Jason G

Reaction score
Well, I did return and looked it over very carefully. I'm not too proud to eat my words, though it's certainly embarrassing:shock:! I would say inconclusive after a careful look. Maple it may not be(still not 100% on that), but I'm aware of the reckless use of the term "mahogany" in the lumber industry. I've also used some strange species of wood over the years, foreign stuff most often made into sheet goods that I use as more cost-effective product for unseen sub-structure/support or nailers ripped into 1x4s for cabinetry and furniture(can't buy decent, strait 1x4 lumber these days...man, I sound like my granddad?)

The neck on the Epi LP in question has almost no grain pattern, and looks closed grain species. It had no ribbon effect anywhere around the neck or head stock like mahogany would most likely show at a quarter-sawn angle of view. Sorry, didn't shoot any pics but would like to, even to show some of my local and online woodworking buddies.

Anyway, not too interested in the Epi LP since I've come across the Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe ’60s selling exclusively at GC. Don't think I could build one that cheap, figuring in GC's discount. So as much as I don't like GC that much, I'm gonna try a few of those out I think. Here's a link: Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Exclusive

I'll post pics if I get by to snap some, of the Epi LP neck wood

thanks everyone,

Jason G

Latest Threads