Epi LP Standard vs. Gibson LP Standard

Zhaed

Reaction score
I personally don't own a Gibson, I have played my uncles quite extensively.

I know there's a lot of differences between the Gibbys and the Epi's. I know how these seemingly minor changes completely effect the sound to one one degree or another.

Many of which can be fixed on any guitar through simple mods at a relatively low cost compaired to the original cost of the guitar itself... things such as pickups, hardware, electronics... Pretty much everything can be changed but the wood, Finish, and Inlays. Since I personally don't keep a guitar factory stok for very long, Im not to concerned about the electronics, the pickups, and hardware anyhow.

So... I guess the question isn't which is better Gibson or Epiphone. Most sane guitarists will choose the Gibson for obvious reasons.

The real question for me is: Is the tonal difference between a modified Epiphone and a similarly modified Gibson significantly different enough to validate the purchase of the guitar that costs nearly 5 times the cost?

Studio fire

Reaction score
I love Epi standards but ive never played a gibson standard
studio-fire-albums-amber-picture9167-user4633-pic9026-1236388621.jpg

Super Monkey

Reaction score
Well, since I can't afford a Gibson, I'll just choose the Epi standard.:thumb:

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
YouTube - CHATREEO TEST EPIPHONE LP STANDARD

No idea what he's saying, but it's a sweet video...there seems to be a lot of gear review videos made by this guy
I've probably watch David Taub's video dozens of times by now. lol there's a funny moment at around 5:30 in his video

Haha. Yeah, David Taub rocks. He has a very easy way about him that makes him an excellent instructor. He has a funny moment in the video around 3:19 where he compares the Epiphone pick ups to the Gibsons.

DarrellRocker

Reaction score
Epis are good, Gibsons are great. I know this video wasn't really a sound comparison btwn the two, but I see those types of vids all over the place, with people saying "can you tell the difference between a Gibson and the Epi?" I have said this before and I'll say it again - There is no way to tell the difference in quality between a good instrument (Epi) and a great one (Gibson) via youtube - for many reasons: 1) Most computer speakers suck 2) the mics suck on the cameras they are filming with 3) Youtube compresses the heck out of videos, losing video and audio quality in the process. So, combine those 3 terrible things, and yes, you can't discern a quality difference between a good guitar (Epi) and a great guitar (Gibson).

dcmey

Reaction score
Epis are good, Gibsons are great. I know this video wasn't really a sound comparison btwn the two, but I see those types of vids all over the place, with people saying "can you tell the difference between a Gibson and the Epi?" I have said this before and I'll say it again - There is no way to tell the difference in quality between a good instrument (Epi) and a great one (Gibson) via youtube - for many reasons: 1) Most computer speakers suck 2) the mics suck on the cameras they are filming with 3) Youtube compresses the heck out of videos, losing video and audio quality in the process. So, combine those 3 terrible things, and yes, you can't discern a quality difference between a good guitar (Epi) and a great guitar (Gibson).
One thing I can tell, when listening to both is Gibson's are sound a little bit brighter.

Latest Threads