Epi LP Standard vs. Gibson LP Standard

The_Sentry

Reaction score
One guitar costs 2700.00....
The other costs what...500 and change?

I don't see how you can compare the two.

Anyways....hope you like that Ebony. That's about the best deal on a standard....very smart choice, OP. :thumb:

LPHeartnSoul

Reaction score
:laugh2:
Thanks Sentry.
That article points out some quite insignificant differences between the epi and the gibson std, like the type of mahogany and finish on the guitar.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
:laugh2:
Thanks Sentry.
That article points out some quite insignificant differences between the epi and the gibson std, like the type of mahogany and finish on the guitar.

Those really aren't that insignificant.

Google "commercial grade mahogany" sometime....and see what kind of woods legally fall under that umbrella. Also bear in mind that the Standard also has top drawer hardware, hand filed frets and has been plek'd.

Can't compare 'em.......

(PS: You'll find good and bad Epi's, and good and bad Gibsons. That's the honest truth of it...but there is NO way you can really compare these two guitars other than the fact that they look the same and they both use humbucker pickups and a tune-o-matic design for a bridge...that's about it.)

Benniator

Reaction score
That article was very light on actual facts. If you're going to compare the two, do some research so that you have a good foundation for your argument (he calls the poly finish "some sort of shiny plastic" and disregards the difference in wood used for the body). Poor article.

pestilence

Reaction score
The article also fails to mention the composition of the tops; Gibsons are real, 100% maple while the Epis are a veneer.

That being said, the veneers look great for the price you are paying for an Epi LP.

SoundwaveLP

Reaction score
There's a comparison on Youtube by NextLevelGuitar's David Taub which is pretty fair. It compares a Epi LP with a Gibson LP. I suggest you check it out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE&feature=related]YouTube - Epiphone Les Paul versus Gibson Les Paul guitar review[/ame]

dcooper830

Reaction score
I'm very lucky. I get to compare Epi LPs to Gibson LPs every day!

I actually should make some videos ....... cause while that David Taub Nextlevelguitar video is pretty cool......... he doesn't A/B the guitars. Also he plays the Epi with a lot of distortion and it would have been nice to hear the guitar clean or lightly overdriven as well.

My Epis aren't quite as sweet as my Gibsons..... but I still think they're awesome guitars.

I don't care what internet gear snobs say. :)

SoundwaveLP

Reaction score
I always liked that vid

Me as well, I really like David Taub. He's a funny guy. One thing I hate about that video and any other video he compares a Les Paul to another guitar is how often he uses the words "ballsy", or, as he would say it.. "bawlzy".

Kind of annoying. :p

LPHeartnSoul

Reaction score

No idea what he's saying, but it's a sweet video...there seems to be a lot of gear review videos made by this guy
I've probably watch David Taub's video dozens of times by now. lol there's a funny moment at around 5:30 in his video

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of those.

A youtube vid helps, but it doesn't really tell the whole picture. I am only stating this as someone who owns 2 Epiphone Les Pauls and 2 Gibson Les Pauls. ;)

sasquatch

Reaction score
I like how David stops mid sentence to start playing, not really ever finish..."wah wah wah weedle e dee chinga pling.." ..ing his sentence first.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 Gibson LP's, 2 MIJ's, and 3 Epis - there is definitely a hierarchy - you get what you pay for.

I love cheap guitars, though. Got a $200 Squier Tele in my lap right now, with a guitar treasure room just down the hall...

If you can't make a cheap guitar sound great, you have no business playing expensive guitars.

LPHeartnSoul

Reaction score
I've got 2 Gibson LP's, 2 MIJ's, and 3 Epis - there is definitely a hierarchy - you get what you pay for.

I love cheap guitars, though. Got a $200 Squier Tele in my lap right now, with a guitar treasure room just down the hall...

If you can't make a cheap guitar sound great, you have no business playing expensive guitars.
:thumb:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Be sure to let us see that Black Beauty when it arrives!

LPHeartnSoul

Reaction score
:hmm: nah man it's not a black beauty...it's just a epi lp std ebony:slash:

how different are they? besides the obvious 3 humbuckers on the black beauty?:hmm:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My bad - no short term memory! :laugh2:

Just the 3rd pickup, really.

I'm sure your Standard is gonna rock. Any plans of getting it in to a luthier for a setup and a properly cut nut? That would be something I'd suggest thinking about.

LPHeartnSoul

Reaction score
yea that's a good idea...I'll have to see the condition of the guitar first, hopefully the original owner took good care of it and already had it setup.
If not, some fine tweaking and tuning should do it good

Latest Threads