Epi LP Plustop Pro or 2020 Standard or Tribute Plus

ardal

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've wanted to buy the Plustop Pro, but I realized there is the new Inspired by Gibson line. I have tried out a Custom Pro that I liked (and is supposedly similar to the Plustop) and heard good things about the Tribute Plus (tried and liked one too), but I didn't really like the colours on that one. Now the Plustops are not really in stock, one shop has it discounted for $580 USD (converted from HUF), should I get that before it's gone or wait for some Standard 50s/60s/used Tribute? I like the CTS pots and real (?) maple cap in the new ones, headstock doesn't really matter, coil split is a welcome addition. Also I've heard about quality issues with the new ones, are those over yet? Any help is appreciated :) [I like the Modern too with the contoured heel joint but that's too expensive]

Street Lethal

Reaction score
60's Tribute Plus. My Tribute plays and sounds better than my 50's Standard. But that's just my opinion. It also has near perfect fretwork, and the neck angle is perfect, which is a big deal for an Epiphone. Overall, it has better quality finishing work than my Standard. It also weighs more, it's meaty. In my opinion it's Gibson quality, and I own Gibsons. Maybe I just got a really good one.

The new Standard series is definitely better than the old Plustop Pro series in terms of sound. I can't say in terms of QC because of the fretwork issues and other shit like blemishes, but those have been an issue on Epiphones for quite some time. At least the ones I have owned.

Last edited:

LP1865

Reaction score
Yep.
2020 is the way to go.
real (?) maple cap
Correct me if i'm wrong, but most Epiphone models before 2020 also had maple caps.
For eg:- My 2003 Plus Top (not Pro)

Latest Threads