Epi LP Goldtop trade - Opinions?

ETThompson

Reaction score
Hi - new here so hello!

I'm being offered a Korean made "older" Epi Goldtop in trade for my Vox AD50VT that I was selling for $250 (but probably would take $225) on Craigslist.

Here's the description, I don't know much about these guitars, have been interested in Epi 56 Goldtop but only played them once or twice (and really liked 'em). There are some 'things' about it, see below. Does his description of the "used" stamp ring true? The blem where the arm rests is pretty big. I don't care too much about it being dented but want to make sure I can resell if I don't like it over time.

I'd love to get experienced people's wisdom, thanks in advance! --Eric

"Hello I am interested in a trade for your Vox? I have and older Korean gold top Epiphone Les Paul that has upgraded Duncan Alnico 2 humbuckers installed. It sounds great and has that vintage Les Paul sound. I recentley traded for it but am really wanting a nice amp and I am a tele guy.. Its got some dents and dings and was a blem that was marked used from Epiphone. the previous owner Installed the vintage Klusen type tuners and the pickups. The frets still have plenty of life but show some use it plays great with no fret buzz all over the neck. Its got a ding in the top about where your arm comes across.It will come in a very nice Gibson USA case with a combination lock,that has some stickers covering the name.The previous owner attatched a Dimarzio snap strap directly to the body(bright Blue) which I have not removed. Its got some mojo and sounds great."

(in response to my questions) "I not sure of the year its an earlier model Which in my opinion were the best. It was stamped used on the headstock from Epiphone which usually means it had a blemish of some kind so you cannot read a serial. As far as the neck i dont have much to compare Ive only had a few Epi Les Pauls and they all felt pretty much the same. Its not really unlike my Tele's and Start's. All together with the Duncans its a great sounding guitar and stays in tune well"

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't know anything about the VOX AD50VT but that's irrelevant anyway.

Have you played this particular guitar? Presumably you've seen pics of it at least - any chance you could post them here?

Regardless, $250 for a Korean GT plus a hsc sounds likes a decent price to me. It's equivalent to ~£155 which I'd have no problem paying if I was in the market for one. Btw, the upgraded pups really don't add much to the re-sale value.

If I were to be really picky, I'd be a bit concerned why he wants to get rid of it so soon after trading for it but, if it's an honest trade, then, like I say, it sounds like a decent price to me.

ETThompson

Reaction score
Hi

Here are the pics he posted. I think I'll go for it but one question. He says where the serial # usually is it is stamped "used", which he says usually meant it was a factory blemish model (there's a pic of this on the back of the headstock). He also says the Korean ones were only made for 3 years in the late 90's. Does all that, especially the "used" part, ring true?

By the way, he's also throwing in a little new Line6 practice amp, so the effective price is probably about $175. Seems pretty hard to pass up unless the "used" thing is suspicious.

I really appreciate any help you can give! --Eric
IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg

ETThompson

Reaction score
Also - I have not played it yet, but would do so before trading.

He says he's more of a Fender guy, and he really wants the Vox.

I would probably eventually replace the pickups back to a PAF style, or maybe a P90, or maybe one of each. The nice thing about this one is I would feel like I could mod it without worrying too much.

Thanks Eric

brhokla

Reaction score
I have the same amp with 2 - 12's. Tell em I'll trade him if you don't! Yea, I'd make that trade if the guitar is all good.

pghjeeper

Reaction score
Used means its a factory second....I didn't see a seriel number...do they reove them on the seconds? Looks like it was scratched off.

04renostar

Reaction score
typically, when an Epi is stamped "USED" or "2ND" they also remove the original serial number. Most of the time they add a new serial number via a sticker, but since it's used that sticker may have been removed.

Personally, this looks like it may indeed be a good deal. If you can play it first, I'd do that before making any final decisions.

ETThompson

Reaction score
Duncan Alnico 2's. I'd probably swap them out for a PAF style, or a P90, or one of each!

Would a P90 fit without routing?

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere on here, but what do you guys like for each of the above p/ups? Duncan? Lollars? Others?

Thanks Eric

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Duncan Alnico 2's. I'd probably swap them out for a PAF style, or a P90, or one of each!

Would a P90 fit without routing?

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere on here, but what do you guys like for each of the above p/ups? Duncan? Lollars? Others?

Thanks Eric
There are some full size P90's out there, which are the same size as a humbucker and should fit fine. Looks nice, what are those spots on the neck by the strap lock?

ETThompson

Reaction score
Well, I picked it up today and I'm pretty much lovin' it. It is a really nice playing and sounding guitar. I had a blast messing around on it earlier tonight. I've never owned a LP (more of a F___ guy), but this kicks ass.

I'll post some more pics when I get a chance.

It needs a setup, intonation's a little off. It's had the tuners replaced with Klusons (nice!) which seem to hold their pitch well (I bend hard...) Action's a little high.

I guess one thing I didn't realize is this gold is more...sparkl-y...I think that what I think of as a goldtop (like Epi's 56 goldtop with P90s). I like this too, but I love the old school look. This is more like a kinda retro 70's vibe.

A couple we things - which don't bother me, I'm just curious about them - the paint is painted up on the neck a little, which made me wonder, but other things about it make the finish look original. 2. There's no "made in Korea" stamp - like I said it has a "used" stamp at the back of the headstock, and a few stickers which seem to have faded. Maybe one of them said it. Also, I miss the pickguard - can that be put on aftermarket? What does it attach to.

The Duncan's are really nice - can I get PAF looking covers for those? Hm, probably not. Have to consider the options.

It overall feels really well made and solid (and heavy!). Frets are a little worn, but lots of life left. They are very flat compared to what I'm used to, but really nice feeling. The neck is nice and chunky, the way I like 'em.

All in all, considering once I sell the amp he threw in, my net out of pocket is only $175 or so, I'm really happy! :thumb:

--Eric

lpstudiored

Reaction score
looks like a beat up poor man's slash goldtop, especially w/the alnico 2 pro's. i'd say play it and then go for it! :thumb:

xavspeedy

Reaction score
I got a Elitist LP custom, white with gold hardware I am trying to sell at the moment.
It's stamped USEd on the headstock and I am asking 800$ for it. Does not have the original case.

I've owned it for 3 years, it`s a great sounding guitar, but was never a fan of the white-gold color. Just got a Gibson LP studio with burst buckers pickup, which I love and is way lighter! I will say that for some reasons Elitist are hard to sell since people don't believe how much quality is in those guitars...plus mine is stamped USED, lets see how that goes.

check out my Elitist for sale :
Les Paul Custom Elite/ELITIST Epiphone (Gibson) Hull Sector (Quebec), Ottawa

Latest Threads