Epi LP Custom 100th Anniversary

rem22

Reaction score
let's say I visited Epiphone website with a lot of hopes, thinking I could buy a high end epiphone this year. but no ebony, no higher wood quality for the body, no gibson or sd pups....well to me that's a way overpriced fancy PTP.
they could have use the Epiphone pups, why not, but in a 2 pieces body with ebony fingerboard for example.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
let's say I visited Epiphone website with a lot of hopes, thinking I could buy a high end epiphone this year. but no ebony, no higher wood quality for the body, no gibson or sd pups....well to me that's a way overpriced fancy PTP.
they could have use the Epiphone pups, why not, but in a 2 pieces body with ebony fingerboard for example.

My MiJ FGN JFL-C with a set of SD pickups wasn't much more.....:naughty:

notjoeaverage

Reaction score
I picked mine up yesterday

Oh My God it is a beautiful piece of wood.

It's unfortunate that it's a 3 piece body but a good job of matching the grain. I thought the back was a one piece veneer until I looked closer.

Hands down better visually than anything Gibson did to honour Les Paul.

Good setup out of the box, no noticeable mystery gunk on the fretboard, frets in good shape won't take much to level, pups sound very nice, plays really good.

I'm still considering removing all the gold hardware, pickups and tuners to be replaced by nickel.

When I get time I'll take some pics and start a new thread.

rem22

Reaction score
My MiJ FGN JFL-C with a set of SD pickups wasn't much more.....:naughty:

I know Peter, that's what I said Epiphone should have made a better lutherie, like 2 pieces back and 1 piece maple top, something special.
There's nothing special about this Epiphone, except the price and some fancy goldplate.
No offense Joe, just my honest opinion, I had expected better wood specs. Or pups/electronic.

The body is probably more like 5 pieces btw, probably 3 pieces mahogany, and 2 pieces maple top.
But to be honest again, I don't think the number of pieces changes that much the sound for an electric guitar.

SkylineUK

Reaction score
Andertons UK demo video just gone up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1f1nm6uewU
Cherry finish one.
I like their jolly videos, although as I'm thinking of buying I would have preferred a more detailed review. Chappers, being an inveterate widdler, has it on gain too much, sadly, and doesn't tell us much. It would have been more informative if Lee had demo'd it.

Saus

Reaction score
It's difficult not to feel GAS for, but at the same time it's difficult not to feel played by Epiphone. You're really paying for a rare headstock shape that is strategically reserved for a limited edition and some other cosmetic things.I'd change the truss rodd cover though :p

B5Erik

Reaction score
This is at the top of my wish list right now. I need to get some money together first, but I really want the 100th Anniversary Custom with the Natural finish.

I do think it would look better with these pickups, though...

Attachments

• Epiphone Probucker Open.jpg
    Epiphone Probucker Open.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 91

rem22

Reaction score
I'm surprised how this one found its way in people's heart sure, sure it's nice but specwise it's nothing special, especially for a 100yr anniversary. I found the natural version really nice.

rem22

Reaction score
Andertons UK demo video just gone up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1f1nm6uewU
Cherry finish one.
I like their jolly videos, although as I'm thinking of buying I would have preferred a more detailed review. Chappers, being an inveterate widdler, has it on gain too much, sadly, and doesn't tell us much. It would have been more informative if Lee had demo'd it.

I share your point of view. I really don't like how he tries to play too hard everytime. I clearly think subtle is better, like Clapton, Gilmour, Slash or other did.

Alty

Reaction score
I share your point of view. I really don't like how he tries to play too hard everytime. I clearly think subtle is better, like Clapton, Gilmour, Slash or other did.

Was about to post that video and RC playing bores me, there's no feeling whatsoever....

Campbell

Reaction score
I'm surprised how this one found its way in people's heart sure, sure it's nice but specwise it's nothing special, especially for a 100yr anniversary. I found the natural version really nice.
I tend to agree. Initially I was taken by their beauty (also preferring the natural wood one), but going over the various specs, I felt it could have had a tad more to warrant the asking price. At least Gibson pups. Plus, I’m not too keen on gold hardware. I have them on my Sheraton II, of course, but that’s an exception (though I have future plans for that mod down the road a piece). That said, they still gives me GAS every time I check them out.

Personally I’m more upset with Epiphone when it comes to the Tony Iommi SG they recently released…yeah, I know this is off topic, but since I’m already riled up…It looks to be an incredible guitar, but their asking price for a guitar of that quality and to not include a case (hell, not even a crappy gig bag!?!) well, it really steams my clams! Still, I want the damn thing!

Okay, I feel a bit better now. But yes, that anniversary model is a charmer though.

sunnydog

Reaction score
At least Gibson pups!! Nothing wrong with the Probuckers

Each to their own IMO this Epi has a lot more going for it than Gibson's 2015 standard
100th abomination !!

When you consider it comes with a case / nicer appointments than the reg. Epi plus pro
it is not that much more dollar wise.

I am sitting on the fence about getting one in nat. Wish there where a rew near buy that I could choose from.

congrats to all that have them.

rem22

Reaction score
I tend to agree. Initially I was taken by their beauty (also preferring the natural wood one), but going over the various specs, I felt it could have had a tad more to warrant the asking price. At least Gibson pups. Plus, I’m not too keen on gold hardware. I have them on my Sheraton II, of course, but that’s an exception (though I have future plans for that mod down the road a piece). That said, they still gives me GAS every time I check them out.

Personally I’m more upset with Epiphone when it comes to the Tony Iommi SG they recently released…yeah, I know this is off topic, but since I’m already riled up…It looks to be an incredible guitar, but their asking price for a guitar of that quality and to not include a case (hell, not even a crappy gig bag!?!) well, it really steams my clams! Still, I want the damn thing!

Okay, I feel a bit better now. But yes, that anniversary model is a charmer though.

Agreed 100%, and also on the tommy ioni's price.
It seems like Epiphone are now a little bitte closer to Gibson....in term of bad quality/price ratio ;)

I don't understand how they can ask so much money for these guitars, while Wildkat with bigsby and p90 can be found for half the price.

digital4fun

Reaction score
I ordered the natural from Sweetwater last November.

Here's the answer I just received when asking about a ship date:

"The most recent update from Epiphone is for late March. The ETA has been pushed back a few times since the end of the year and we have not received any at all. It would seem that Epiphone is having some issues with production and it's been holding up the ship date."

Tru-Blu

Reaction score
These must be major production issues for this delay to go as long as it has. My Sweetwater Rep said that they don't have any updates from Epiphone on when these could be starting to ship again.

The waiting is the hardest part...... Tom Petty

Chuck M

Reaction score
These must be major production issues for this delay to go as long as it has. My Sweetwater Rep said that they don't have any updates from Epiphone on when these could be starting to ship again.

The waiting is the hardest part...... Tom Petty

I just looked at Zzounds and they state April 25th for the Natural and June 10th for the Cherry. I've found with them that you order as soon as possible. If there is a pre-order available and you're going to get it anyways...do it! They sometimes get them before and can't even fill the late pre-orders.

Chuck M

notjoeaverage

Reaction score
Makes me wonder how I got mine so easily.

I ordered it the day after they announced in Nov. and it arrived 2nd or 3rd week of Jan, was told it would be mid to late Feb.

I ordered through my local Mom & Pop store. I got the Natural and they got a Cherry for themselves. They both came without the COAs "Boudakan" anyone, they finally showed up last week.

Tru-Blu

Reaction score
I pre-ordered with Sweetwater in late December last year. I'm near the top of the list, and have one allocated to me from what they have ordered from Epiphone. I'm just hoping that they'll have some type of update on when they're going to get them.

SkylineUK

Reaction score
I wonder if they first make a speculative batch and then if the response is positive earmark a manufacturing slot for later on?

Latest Threads