Epi LP 3 way doesn’t work in middle posiiton

Dan18

Reaction score
When in middle position, only the bridge pickup works. The neck pickup works fine when switched to neck position. The 3 way switch looks like everything is solid. This is a pic of the other switches. Only thing I see disconnected is the small grey wire at bottom which is resting on my black screwdriver head. Assume the red wires tapes together are ok. Can’t find another end of that grey one but it comes off a solder joint with that thick blue wire. Think this is a wire problem based on symptoms vs some other component?

DF1FC916-C381-485C-AD1A-7117C71AD5D4.jpeg

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Ran into a similar problem when I put new electronics in my epi. Only the neck would work, but man it was so bright and single coil like that it didn't even bother me. Somewhere down the road I replaced the parts again, and got it right. Of course it came with instructions, but usually after two trys you get the hang of it. The middle position being off sounds like the switch to the pots are wrong. If you can show the whole layout of control cavity and toggle cavity I might be able to help. If you feel comfortable enough to remove the toggle switch, I might be able to see it better, but only if you want to.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
That looks like it's the output wire from the pot. Then there is the bare red wire next to it. Something ain't quite right there.

Dan18

Reaction score
Yeah I think I’ll take it in to my excellent Luthier. Shouldn’t be hard to fix but I don’t have the solder, wiring diagram or desire to have it catch fire in my hands.

ARandall

Reaction score
This problem is the switch itself. By definition if each pickup is working perfectly well when individually selected it cannot be the pots.

The switch works by separating contacts (metal 'leaves') by moving them apart....in effect you 'deselect' the non wanted pickup rather than selecting the wanted pickup. In the middle they are both active, however the metal leaves sit in a fractionally different position to where they would do if the pickup is 'selected'. So your neck pickup is actually in the 'deselected' position mechanically in the middle. You need to bend the appropriate part so it makes contact in the middle switch position.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Having same issue im my Gibson , i think my switch is just old though , tried cleaning it and may just be time to replace it .

ARandall

Reaction score
^ I have a switch from a 1954 p90 intact harness set I bought that is still working perfectly well.......just old is not necessarily a thing. Metal/steel has the wonderful property of being able to be bent within a certain range almost infinite times without permanent fatigue.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah.....if its a switchcraft toggle then you can make adjustments as your first port of call.

warprider

Reaction score
Did it work previously?

Did you do anything to it?

Arandell is spot on correct. This "should be" simple. A good luthier will take care of it if you cant.

geddy

Reaction score
Use a meter to check continuity to the jack from each vol pot with the switch in different positions.

Latest Threads