epi les paul weight relief?

guitar_randy

Reaction score
I own a couple Gibson Les Pauls and I don't own an Epi Les Paul but I was just wondering if Epiphone Les Pauls have the bodies weight relieved like Gibsons or if they are solid wood or what the deal is in that regards with them?

I always hear so much debate and discussions about Gibsons and the weight relieved vs non weight relieved but never came across any discussions regarding the Epiphone brand Les Pausl and if they are weight relieved or not and if so if they use same methods as Gibson.

Anyone know at all?

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I don't believe Epiphones are. I haven't heard a word saying there are any.

MooCheng

Reaction score
never heard of Epi using any kind of weight relief, seems to be a Gibson thing,

come to think of it, I've not heard of any other non - Gibson....aherm....single cut, using weight relief either

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
No Epi LP is officially weight relieved / swiss cheesed / chambered - except the Ultra series

:wave:

93LPStudio

Reaction score
Okay was there a specific timeframe that Epiphone began weight relief swiss cheese? Chambering? Also, since I am trying to learn more about Epiphones, any specific models that are or are not? Paruwi mentioned the Ultra series were not?

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Okay was there a specific timeframe that Epiphone began weight relief swiss cheese? Chambering? Also, since I am trying to learn more about Epiphones, any specific models that are or are not? Paruwi mentioned the Ultra series were not?

No... he said that the Ultra series was. No others were.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Okay was there a specific time frame that Epiphone began weight relief Swiss cheese? Chambering? Also, since I am trying to learn more about Epiphones, any specific models that are or are not? Paruwi mentioned the Ultra series were not?

No Epi LP is officially weight relieved / Swiss cheesed / chambered - except the Ultra series.

Umm..

Bytor1958

Reaction score

No... he said that the Ultra series was. No others were.

chasenblues

Reaction score
"The Epiphone Ultra, introduced in 2005, is Epiphone's first and only series of chambered Les Paul guitars. The mahogany body has strategically placed hollow cavities resulting not only in a lighter guitar (about 5.5 lbs) but also a more "acoustic" sounding guitar."

300px-LpUltraChamber.jpg

Les Paul Ultra - The Unofficial Epiphone Wiki

93LPStudio

Reaction score
Must have not had enough coffee when I read Paruwi's post lmao! Thats a really interesting fact about no weight relief on Epi's except the Ultra's, which other than swiss cheese on Gibby's I personally don't care for it at all. Thanks for setting me straight :thumb:

wwit

Reaction score
My Epi JBLP is a little heavy. But lighter than many Gibson LP's I've played in the past.

My Epi '56 is almost a dead on pound lighter than the JB.

Honestly no complaints on either. Both solid as far as I know. 1 of them has a full maple cap, the other is a veneer. Blindfold me and hand me both unplugged and I couldn't tell the difference between them as far as playability and acoustically are damn near identical.

Plug'm in and its a world of difference.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
My Epi JBLP is a little heavy. But lighter than many Gibson LP's I've played in the past.

My Epi '56 is almost a dead on pound lighter than the JB.

Yep, mine too. The JB just feels like a serious instrument, not that there's anything wrong with my '56. It'd be perfect if the neck was fat like the JB!

Dr. Pain

Reaction score
No weight relief with my Trib + Doing weight training to keep my bone density up for when I'm old so it doesn't fracture my collar bone.

Latest Threads