epi les paul ultra II wiring

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Hey! does anyone have the wiring guide for the epi ultra II. Im assuming its stilll 4 500k pots right? or is it all screwed up cuz of the nanomag pickup?

TWANG

Reaction score
they should be 500K.
you can test them with a meter if you have one..
using the ohms setting and a cable in the guitar.

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
Try this:

ultrallwiringdiagram.jpg

zeppelin101

Reaction score
thats what i was just making sure cuz somebody told me that the wiring from the pickups is screwy haha thanks for your help anyway

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
thats what i was just making sure cuz somebody told me that the wiring from the pickups is screwy haha thanks for your help anyway

I think "screwy" is probably not the best way to describe the wiring on the Ultra ll, however it is very different from any other LP wiring. The good news is you have a guitar that from the front looks like a standard LP but is actually two guitars in one. :thumb:

zeppelin101

Reaction score
haha good point! i think i want to put a push pull pot to activate/deactivate the nanomag and put a 50s wiring in there. my uncles and electrical engineer ill talk to him ill def. post if i figure out a way to do it :fingersx:

zeppelin101

Reaction score
ughh he says its gonna be a little more complex. I talked to jonesy and im gonna wait and see what he says

zeppelin101

Reaction score

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Do you think the Nanomag would sound different enough from your Strat pups to warrant putting it in? Just wondering.

Without a doubt. The nanomag doesn't sound like a single coil, but more like an acoustic.

Dr Stuart

Reaction score
Hi All, and thanks for the info on wiring etc.
I've just got an Epi LP Ultra II, and I'm thinking about the switching issues. I've worked out a two-switch floor box that would allow me to switch between humbuckers and nanomag with one switch, and jump to all with the other switch. The LEDs will show me which I'd selected with the first switch (humbuckers or nano) while I've got both active. I'd also be able to set the first switch while both are on. For example, I'm in nano only, I could jump to both, preselect the humbuckers when I jump out of 'both' mode. If anyone's interested I'll post a picture.
Then I thought, how do you get practical switching between humbuckers and nano using a wireless transmitter (without using two transmitters!).
So now my idea is to remove the tone control and replace with a three way kill switch. In the middle position, all pups are active: setting to one of the other positions kills either the nano or the humbuckers.
.....'cos I don't like tone controls anyway. And the old trick of rolling off the neck tone to get the 'woman tone' then switching to the bridge pickup wouldn't work, because the tone control works on both HB pups so the bridge pup would be too tame perhaps.
....Sorry for the wordy entry people! If anyone's interested in my ideas, please let me know and I'll post pictures etc.
Cheers!

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Hi All, and thanks for the info on wiring etc.
I've just got an Epi LP Ultra II, and I'm thinking about the switching issues. I've worked out a two-switch floor box that would allow me to switch between humbuckers and nanomag with one switch, and jump to all with the other switch. The LEDs will show me which I'd selected with the first switch (humbuckers or nano) while I've got both active. I'd also be able to set the first switch while both are on. For example, I'm in nano only, I could jump to both, preselect the humbuckers when I jump out of 'both' mode. If anyone's interested I'll post a picture.
Then I thought, how do you get practical switching between humbuckers and nano using a wireless transmitter (without using two transmitters!).
So now my idea is to remove the tone control and replace with a three way kill switch. In the middle position, all pups are active: setting to one of the other positions kills either the nano or the humbuckers.
.....'cos I don't like tone controls anyway. And the old trick of rolling off the neck tone to get the 'woman tone' then switching to the bridge pickup wouldn't work, because the tone control works on both HB pups so the bridge pup would be too tame perhaps.
....Sorry for the wordy entry people! If anyone's interested in my ideas, please let me know and I'll post pictures etc.
Cheers!

I didnt know that you could do that! Hell I just turn my nanomag control to 0 and that does it. I still think the tone control is way too important to part with.

Dr Stuart

Reaction score
Hi again! I've had another look at the wiring diagram, and have a new idea.....I've got a suitable switch that I could mount under the scratchplate. One position, only HB's, middle all pups, other position only Nanomag. It would need only a bit of re-soldering on the output jacks, two lengths of shielded wire and a hole through the bridge pup surround to allow the wires to come out. The mod would be easily reversible (apart from the hole in the pup surround!) and would work whether I have one or two jacks inserted. I'll keep you posted!
Cheers Stuart

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Hi again! I've had another look at the wiring diagram, and have a new idea.....I've got a suitable switch that I could mount under the scratchplate. One position, only HB's, middle all pups, other position only Nanomag. It would need only a bit of re-soldering on the output jacks, two lengths of shielded wire and a hole through the bridge pup surround to allow the wires to come out. The mod would be easily reversible (apart from the hole in the pup surround!) and would work whether I have one or two jacks inserted. I'll keep you posted!
Cheers Stuart

Dude thats awesome, you definately have to let us know how that works out and provide diagrams :thumb:

Only thing is, couldnt you just turn the nanomag volume down all the way to get just the HBs?

Latest Threads