Epi Les Paul overhaul?

MineGoes211

Reaction score
I'm looking to chang out the pickup (I may swithch to Gibson Dirty Fingers in bridge, and 490R in neck), and vol/tone pots on my Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro FX (which has the push/pull coil spit volume pots). Is there a pre made pot set I can buy that will just pop in to replace the original? Any help would be great (please post links also)

Thanks!

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've used the Martin6String coil split harness myself. Premium custom taper CTS pots, PIO caps with the series links for your coil split already soldered in for you. Easy to install.

Brian in NJ

Reaction score
Some sources say short shaft pots for Epi guitars, but I know some people have run into issues like not having enough threads exposed for the nut to grab. Long shaft pots will always work. For my upgrade I used long shaft pots and then used flat washers as spacers to set them at the desired height.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Some sources say short shaft pots for Epi guitars, but I know some people have run into issues like not having enough threads exposed for the nut to grab. Long shaft pots will always work. For my upgrade I used long shaft pots and then used flat washers as spacers to set them at the desired height.

that's why.....

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Update: I called the luthier I use at Sauve Guitars, and he has an old Dirty Fingers pup and can do all the pots and all, so in about a week I should have a new guitar!

Lutherie

Reaction score
Just make sure he got premium CTS pots and PIO caps, both Martin and Jonesy would hand pick those and make a 50s wireing hardness for you.
I am not saying he can't do it, just make sure you are hetting the real deal.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
I'm having the Dirty Fingers pup in the bridge and a Super Distortion in the neck... My Les Zilla!!!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just make sure he got premium CTS pots and PIO caps, both Martin and Jonesy would hand pick those and make a 50s wireing hardness for you.
I am not saying he can't do it, just make sure you are hetting the real deal.

Not just that, Matt/Martin6SC tests every single pot to make sure it's overspec.

So when it warms up it doesn't drop below 500k (which many do)

99.9% of the folks that sell pots won't do that, which is why I only go to Matt for my parts.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Yeah, I went over all the advise I got here with my tech, and he's well capable of taking care of me. I've been using Sauve since 1979.

hotzlaw

Reaction score
Not just that, Matt/Martin6SC tests every single pot to make sure it's overspec.

99.9% of the folks that sell pots won't do that, which is why I only go to Matt for my parts.

Hmmmm.

I've never noticed that the pots get warm. Why would they?

GitFiddle

Reaction score

:thumb:

When I'm not playing, I use my pots to cook some tasty soup. :laugh2:

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Got my Les Paul back, and I have one AMAZING sounding tone monster! I'll post pics tomorrow!!

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.

Because they have an electrical current going through them. You never tough the pots when playing, actually unless you pull the cover off you'll never touch the pots at any time, so there's no way you would ever notice.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hmmmm.

Because they have an electrical current going through them. You never tough the pots when playing, actually unless you pull the cover off you'll never touch the pots at any time, so there's no way you would ever notice.

Now I know where the smoke is from while playing...:naughty:

:wave:

hotzlaw

Reaction score

Ok, thanks.

I always thought that an amplifier was required because the voltage and current generated by the pickup was so miniscule.

Latest Threads