Epi Electronics upgrade question

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I figure anything mounted on a piece of wood with electricity passing through it to be the electronics. :cool:

I don't know about your guitars, but on mine there's no electricity passing through the switch cap and knobs. :shock:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1990256 said:
I don't know about your guitars, but on mine there's no electricity passing through the switch cap and knobs. :shock:
:cool:

nzo

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1990256 said:

:laugh2:

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Since I'm just now in the process of trying to put my Tokai electronics into my '92 Epi LP Standard I can assure you, full sized pots don't fit. :rolleyes:
The Volume pots fit fine but there isn't enough room for the tone pots in the cavity.

lukemacauley

Mac Guitars
Reaction score
They fit fine in my Epiphone! :hmm: Although, mine never had mini pots.

Take a picture and let me have a look?

KP

Oldtimer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a MIK Epi LP Burst. Bought it new in 89. Loved the thing and it has always played well. Just never been too happy with the electronics. The toggle switch cap and the two volume knobs all broke and spun off, the first week I gigged with it.

I now have a couple Gibson LPs and thought it would be a good time to upgrade the Epi electronics. I know the pots are metric and the holes have to be increased for CTS pots. Was thinking about an upgrade kit from RS Guitarworks.

The Epi pots are very small in size. After looking inside the control cavity of the Epi compared to the Gibsons, I am a little concerned whether CTS pots will fit correctly in the cavity.

Does anyone know of any unforeseen issues when putting CTS pots in an Epi LP?
Are CTS pots the same size as the stock Gibson pots?

Gibson R7 Cavity:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29214-1999-r7-goldtop-control-cavity.jpg

Epiphone LP Cavity:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29544-epiphone-lp-control-cavity.jpg

As you can see, the neck pickup tone pot looks like it is almost touching the side of the cavity.

Those are not original Epi pots. Epis do not normally come with mini pots.

whytheflyband

Reaction score
Actually my 95 MIK Sheraton had and still has mini pots. Unfortunately a full sized harness from RS is like $180 for me so thats out of the question right now.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

They are original. My '92 Samick made Epi had the same until today....
and now I can't get the full sized pots in.
My '94 Samick SG copy also has mini pots.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They fit fine in my Epiphone! :hmm: Although, mine never had mini pots.

Take a picture and let me have a look?

Here you go.
As you can see, there's not enough room for full sized pots.

-shifty--albums-random-picture29735-cimg0504.jpg

BTW, finally got the harness into my Tokai, together with the Gibson '57 Classic Plus (bridge) and SD Alnico II Pro (neck), and it sounds friggin' sweet! :thumb:

lukemacauley

Mac Guitars
Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1998307 said:
Here you go.

-shifty--albums-random-picture29735-cimg0504.jpg

BTW, finally got the harness into my Tokai, together with the Gibson '57 Classic Plus (bridge) and SD Alnico II Pro (neck), and it sounds friggin' sweet! :thumb:

Damn, that's a bummer. My only suggestion would be to get some extremely course sand paper and go at it - depending on how much space you need - it might not be doable.

Great! I'm so glad you're pleased. :D I trust you see what I'm shouting on about when I say an electronics change makes a huge difference? Don't suppose you have a nice control cavity picture with the new harness in your Tokai I could put up on the website?

If you choose to order again remind me to throw in a few extra caps and what not.

KP

Oldtimer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1998291 said:
They are original. My '92 Samick made Epi had the same until today....
and now I can't get the full sized pots in.
My '94 Samick SG copy also has mini pots.

Well, that really sucks. My Saien has minis, but that was to be expected.

brianugly

Reaction score
The newer model epiphones have Alpha pots, my 2000 LP Deluxe, my 2008 SG400, and my 2009 Custom have alpha pots...all full sized. After changing the pickups and rewiring, the pots taper smoothly and the guitars soung great.

GitFiddle

Reaction score

I bought this Epi brand new from a licensed Gibson dealer Retail music store in 1990 and has been in my possession ever since. The first time the cavity cover was ever removed was about a week ago to take that photo.

As far as I can dig from the serial number it was made in Korea in November of 1989.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1998307 said:
Here you go.

Shifty, I had thought of maybe putting a sanding wheel or a grinding wheel on a dremel tool and just hollowing out a small cavity right where the pot should fit.

Its almost like they just eyeball the pot holes before they drill them.

56Bluesboy

Reaction score

My 92 Epi Les Paul's innards look just like the OP'S. The early MIK-Samick made Epi Pauls have mini-pots. I need to get around to upgrading some things with my Epi,and electronically, I've got all original parts, including the mini-pots, green Chicklet gum caps, etc, to deal with, besides deciding which flavor of PAF bucker type goodness I want. It looks like the Epi Les Pauls need their own history book put together, to show the changes and specs that have gone on over the years with the line. If I want full size pots, I have the same issue to deal with that the OP has commented on, along with others here.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shifty, I had thought of maybe putting a sanding wheel or a grinding wheel on a dremel tool and just hollowing out a small cavity right where the pot should fit.

Yes, I thought about that, too.
I think I'll give it a try when I find the time. :hmm:

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great! I'm so glad you're pleased. :D I trust you see what I'm shouting on about when I say an electronics change makes a huge difference? Don't suppose you have a nice control cavity picture with the new harness in your Tokai I could put up on the website?

If you choose to order again remind me to throw in a few extra caps and what not.

It definitely made a difference.
I just made the mistake of changing too much at once (going from the stock modern wiring to your 50s wiring harness, changing the pickups and trying out Elixir Nanoweb strings for the first time) to really determine what change attributes to what.
I was planning on upgrading the Tokai for quite a while.
I bought the SD Alnico II Pro in July of last year to put it in the Tokai, but then I decided not to spend any more money on it before I didn't have a job, again.
The Gibson '57 Classic Plus was in my Samick SG copy since 1997, I think.
When I finally had everything together I was too impatient to do a step by step swap. :D
Ah well, I'll take it slower with my Tokai Custom.

So, here's what it looks like with the new pickups and Gibson gold top hat knobs.

4904462691_402281c1c3_b.jpg

4904498641_7d3f1f6586_b.jpg

I also took a picture of the control cavity for you.
It's been about seven years since I soldered the last time, but I think it didn't turn out too bad. :hmm:

4904975686_3a6c3b8eb5_b.jpg

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score

I was going to suggest a Dremel. Seems like it would be the easiest way and you would have good control of how much material you're removing.

-=[Shifty]=-;2002969 said:
I also took a picture of the control cavity for you. It's been about seven years since I soldered the last time, but I think it didn't turn out too bad. :hmm:

Nothing wrong with that soldering job Shifty.

Latest Threads