Epi Electronics upgrade question

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I have a MIK Epi LP Burst. Bought it new in 89. Loved the thing and it has always played well. Just never been too happy with the electronics. The toggle switch cap and the two volume knobs all broke and spun off, the first week I gigged with it.

I now have a couple Gibson LPs and thought it would be a good time to upgrade the Epi electronics. I know the pots are metric and the holes have to be increased for CTS pots. Was thinking about an upgrade kit from RS Guitarworks.

The Epi pots are very small in size. After looking inside the control cavity of the Epi compared to the Gibsons, I am a little concerned whether CTS pots will fit correctly in the cavity.

Does anyone know of any unforeseen issues when putting CTS pots in an Epi LP?
Are CTS pots the same size as the stock Gibson pots?

Gibson R7 Cavity:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29214-1999-r7-goldtop-control-cavity.jpg

Epiphone LP Cavity:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29544-epiphone-lp-control-cavity.jpg

As you can see, the neck pickup tone pot looks like it is almost touching the side of the cavity.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
They work fine. I just had some put in my 95 epi.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I'm asking about physically fitting in the cavity. I'm sure the wiring and electronics will work fine. The cavity on mine just looks like the pot holes aren't lined up correctly with the cavity cutout. It's an 89 MIK so it will be different from a newer one.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm with Corey on this... PIOs much needed.

As for the new pots fitting - I've never felt the need to replace mine, and don't have a good answer on that...

Fuelish

Reaction score
..... Just never been too happy with the electronics. The toggle switch cap and the two volume knobs all broke and spun off, the first week I gigged with it.
But.....switch cap and knobs aren't electronic :naughty:

As you can see, the neck pickup tone pot looks like it is almost touching the side of the cavity.
Yeah, that does look tight....you might be in for a lil creative routing, but.....no one will see it once you're done, and it's not really going to hurt resale "value." Take your tome and you'll be fine.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
But.....switch cap and knobs aren't electronic :naughty:

I figure anything mounted on a piece of wood with electricity passing through it to be the electronics. :cool:

Just figured since it was all cheap, an upgrade might make an improvement in tone.

Yes, I was worried about maybe having to do some "creative routing". May just leave it alone since I got the two LPs now.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Eww ceramic! you should put some nice PIO caps or at least orange drops in there :naughty:
Yes, that is the first order of business.
Was looking locally at some electronic supply houses for some .022 orange drops.

What do you recommend other than the orange drops?

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Reaction score
Yes, that is the first order of business.
Was looking locally at some electronic supply houses for some .022 orange drops.

What do you recommend other than the orange drops?

Talk to jonesy he should be able to hook you up with some nice PIO caps. :thumb:

Reaction score
Git fiddle, the only problem I encountered with CTS pots in my G-400 is the holes for the stock pots are smaller than the diameter of the CTS shafts. 5 minutes with a cheap Ace hardware reamer will take care of that, tho. Otherwise, the CTS pots should fit your Les Paul's cavity just fine.

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Reaction score
Git fiddle, the only problem I encountered with CTS pots in my G-400 is the holes for the stock pots are smaller than the diameter of the CTS shafts. 5 minutes with a cheap Ace hardware reamer will take care of that, tho. Otherwise, the CTS pots should fit your Les Paul's cavity just fine.

Look of the shape of that cavity though, you have remember its not a modern epiphone.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even use orange drops - I'd use a real paper in oil cap - Vitamin Q's are my favorite I think (although all PIOs I've used in the .022 variety are pretty similar - and all are better than ceramic). Forum member Jonesy here will hook you up - or visit his site at ToneMojo.com Got your Tone-Mojo Working?

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Man, ya'll are killing me. Seriously, the pots that came out of my 95 epi look like yours in there now. The new ones are the cts pots, the same size as the ones pictured. Everything fit fine.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I wouldn't even use orange drops - I'd use a real paper in oil cap - Vitamin Q's are my favorite I think (although all PIOs I've used in the .022 variety are pretty similar - and all are better than ceramic). Forum member Jonesy here will hook you up - or visit his site at ToneMojo.com Got your Tone-Mojo Working?

A .022 for the neck is killer. I wish I had done it long ago. I put in an orange drop. PIO if you want, your call. Im maybe rewishing the .022 in the bridge. It's a bit spikey, and I turn the treble down to about 4-5.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Man, ya'll are killing me. Seriously, the pots that came out of my 95 epi look like yours in there now. The new ones are the cts pots, the same size as the ones pictured. Everything fit fine.

Gtarzan81, Thanks again for the input. I think three of the pots will drop in just fine as you say. Its the neck tone pot (upper right in pic) that I am concerned with. It is almost touching the wood. I would probably have to chisel or route out some of the material to get it to fit in there. The CTS pots have a much larger diameter than the dinky little stock Epi pots.

I was mainly interested if anyone else had ever run into this situation with a MIK Epi and how they dealt with it. Maybe using a sanding wheel on a dremel or some very careful chisel work? I was just fishing for any good tips from anyone that may have been there before. (but unfortunately I'm usually the first one that crap like this happens to)

I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask before I ended up with a wood chisel poking through my pretty maple top. :cool:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29141-epiphone.jpg

As you can see in this picture, the first night I gigged with it the plastic top on the toggle switch snapped off. Now it just has some little red rubber cap I found in my tool box. Which by the way has held up better than the stock. Over the next couple nights the volume knobs kept just spinning off onto the stage. One even cracked in half when it hit the floor. I found some soft rubber speed knobs at a local music shop back in 89, that work better than the originals. I figured I would just replace the toggle and pots with American equipment and put some authentic LP knobs on the CTS pots and see how long that lasts.

Back in the day, when I bought this along with a MIJ Strat I was gigging 5 sets a night 7 days a week. I would always play the first set or two with the Strat for all the clean stuff and as the night wore on, would break out the LP for all the dirty stuff. The Strat is still in perfect working order with no mods whatsoever but this thing was rode hard and put away wet. :cool:

AnthemBassMan

Reaction score
A .022 for the neck is killer. I wish I had done it long ago. I put in an orange drop. PIO if you want, your call. Im maybe rewishing the .022 in the bridge. It's a bit spikey, and I turn the treble down to about 4-5.

-I have Orange Drops in my Epi. But I have a .022 in the bridge, and a .015 in the neck. That one keeps the neck from getting too muddy when I roll the tone back to 0. About 3-3 1/2 is my favorite tone setting for the neck. But I'm gonna have to check out some PIO caps sometime.

L8R,
Matt

blues_n_cues

Reaction score
I have a MIK Epi LP Burst. Bought it new in 89. Loved the thing and it has always played well. Just never been too happy with the electronics. The toggle switch cap and the two volume knobs all broke and spun off, the first week I gigged with it.

I now have a couple Gibson LPs and thought it would be a good time to upgrade the Epi electronics. I know the pots are metric and the holes have to be increased for CTS pots. Was thinking about an upgrade kit from RS Guitarworks.

The Epi pots are very small in size. After looking inside the control cavity of the Epi compared to the Gibsons, I am a little concerned whether CTS pots will fit correctly in the cavity.

Does anyone know of any unforeseen issues when putting CTS pots in an Epi LP?
Are CTS pots the same size as the stock Gibson pots?

Gibson R7 Cavity:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29214-1999-r7-goldtop-control-cavity.jpg

Epiphone LP Cavity:

gitfiddle-albums-tunes-picture29544-epiphone-lp-control-cavity.jpg

i know the guys from RS. TAKE IT IN. show them what you have- tell them what you want... it'll come out perfect i'll guarantee.

Phildog

Reaction score
I'd get with Jonesy to build you a harness. He can build you one with '50's wiring, or anything you want!!!

AnthemBassMan

Reaction score
-His control cavity looks quite a bit tighter than the one on my '02. I have full sized CTS pots in mine and all I had to do was open the mounting holes just slightly so the shafts would go through. But if GitFiddle can't fit full sized pots in his guitar, there are CTS mini pots he could use.

CTS 500K Mini Audio Pot | Allparts.com

L8R,
Matt

Latest Threads