"EPI by Epiphone" LesPaul, anyone konws?

maddarkham

Reaction score
HI! I just bought a used Les Paul, it's an "EPI by Epiphone", made in Korea.

Anyone out there knows anything about it?

At Epiphphone offical website's forum peoples get puzzled, many never heard it before, other does, but cannot give me informations, somewhere on Internet i found that maybe the model is "2000" ( not the Year, the model number )...

What I'have looking for are things like woods, parts shared with Epiphone "big sisters", etcetc...

My personal believe is that "Epi" were made of scraps from the regular "Epiphone" production. It isn't sounding bad at all, but for example it seems that the body was made by glueing toghether diagonally two pieces of different grain ( or worse... different kind of ) woods...
:wtf:

I'll appreciate a lot if someone could give me more information.
Thanks!!!!

MaddArkhaM

P.S.: for those who don't believe me or for those who whant to see with their very own eyes the thing
this is the auction where I purchased from:
EPI Epiphone Les Paul su eBay.it Chitarre elettriche, Chitarre e Bassi, Strumenti musicali

Richard89

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a real Epiphone. Does it have a serial number?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree - that it probably isn't an Epiphone - but could have been made in one of the OEM factories in Korea where Epiphone used to be made. SN would be good, and some more pictures if you've got them.

bobb6k34

Reaction score
Iv seen a few Epi's on the net with people saying there epiphones, but i wouldn't really know.

G-Minor

Reaction score
i told u u got gyped unless it sounds and plays good

maddarkham

Reaction score
Thank You for the replies!!!
I've seen no serial number on the back of the headstock.
The truss rod cover says "epiphone", but could have been easily replaced, is the three screws type, and the headstock as "Epi" written on it.
I'll make some pictures and tomorrow i'll post them!

However, tough i'm not very fond in set-neck short-scale tune-o-matic guitars I have to say that I like it.

It sounds great for the money I've spent. Even if there are some major replacement required, i.e. changing the crappy nut, putting some cooler inlays, and maybe replacing the bridge p-u with a DiMarzio or a S.Duncan

Tomorrow You will have the pictures!!!

Thanks!!!

MaddArkhaM

loneguitar

Reaction score
Maybe an Epi that didn't make the grade and went out the back door, there are so many clones out there it could be anything,

bobb6k34

Reaction score
IMHO i would say its not a epiphone but Im not somone whos very clued up on the things so i could be very wrong

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Everything looks "quality" - regardless of whether or not it is authentic. If she plays well, I'd say you got a winner.

They do use dot inlays on set neck studios.

maddarkham

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that guitar when searching informations...

However... yesterday night I brought the baby with me at my band rehearsal.
Actually I play the bass in that band, so I gave the guitar to my guitarist to give it a try. Altough at first he laughed at me, saying that I bought a copy of a copy from a sub-sub-subsidiary company, when he finally plugged her to the Peavey XXL, he found her very playable with a nice fretboard. His own words: "This baby cries and scream like a bastard!!!".
Feedback and pinched harmonics popped out easily and the tone was much more thick and loud than his DiMarzioed Pacifica...
He was planning to buy a Gibson FlyingV but after he gave a try at this "epi" he decided to try a real Les Paul.

MaddArkhaM

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right on! There's no other guitar like a Les Paul. Glad its working out!

Reaction score
If it plays and sounds good, don't sweat it, sounds like you got a winner! I kinds like that headstock better the the wider one normally found on Epiphones.

maddarkham

Reaction score
So, I gathered some more informations.
A friend of mine who owns a Gibson LesPaul told me that, as far as he knows,
"Epis" are really Epiphones, the most economic lines, sold only in cetain markets ( I suppose mainly Europe and Asia ), as low budget alternative to the more pricey standard line.
I also contacted the people who sold me the guitar and he said to me that the body wood is alder, even if I believe that only the upper and lower "wings" are in alder, while the "core" is in ebony.
One thing that still puzzling me... If You gently knocks on the upper part of body You can hear a "hollow" sound, as it would be chambered...
You think that's impossible on such an economic instrument?

MaddArkhaM

drewbertca

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an Epi p-bass copy....It wasn't expensive but it still plays good.....I've never though seen a "three letter" Epi with a set neck.....I'd say typically the Epi line was like fender's squire bullett series......and sometimes there's a phenominal one made and you try them until you find one.

taypeng

Reaction score
So, I gathered some more informations.
A friend of mine who owns a Gibson LesPaul told me that, as far as he knows,
"Epis" are really Epiphones, the most economic lines, sold only in cetain markets ( I suppose mainly Europe and Asia ), as low budget alternative to the more pricey standard line.

MaddArkhaM
I live in Asia and i've only seen that logo on a guitar once and it was a strat??. It does seem like its the low-end line of epiphones but if it plays well, i guess it doesnt really matter right? :)

G-Minor

Reaction score
i went to a local pawn shop and they had a strat style guitar with an explorer neck that said epi. so i called gibson they said its a cheaper series that epiphone made in 1980's

Latest Threads