Enough with those expensive fretboard oils

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh....

If $5 for Dunlop's every 5 years is all I've wasted, I'd be happy.

cjpeck

Reaction score
I've had the same 2 oz bottle of mineral oil that I poured out of my grandfather's stash in 1983. I think I've used it three times and two of those were when I scraped the DNA from an old fretboard.
Very few fretboards ever 'need' oil other than when actual work has been done to them like scraping or suchlike. There are those oddballs that need a wee dram every few years, but they're outliers. Even so, a little bit of neutral inert oil every once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. It can have an aesthetic effect, keeping things shiny and all that.

We now return you to your regular channel for the usual crazy bs this subject always brings forth...

DrBGood

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and it protects the fretboard from those harmful UV rays.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
With fretboard oil from a music store, one should use it very sparingly. So on a “per use” basis, it is not that expensive. But I’ve used mineral oil and lemon oil when I had no dedicated product. A little messy, but it works. Never tried sun tan stuff. So how do you apply it?

I have found use of automotive finish products on guitar necks and bodies. Never tried them on fretboards. But I’ll bet Meguair’s Super Shine would work well for them. It soaks in with UV and drying protectant, and then dries to a very dry but very smooth finish. Never tried this, but it might be great for fretboards. And if it doesn’t work for this, you can always use it on the leather and plastic inside your car.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
With fretboard oil from a music store, one should use it very sparingly. So on a “per use” basis, it is not that expensive. But I’ve used mineral oil and lemon oil when I had no dedicated product. A little messy, but it works. Never tried sun tan stuff. So how do you apply it?
Don't.
It's a joke.
Sun tan oil is typically veg based and will go rancid.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
I've had the same 2 oz bottle of mineral oil that I poured out of my grandfather's stash in 1983. I think I've used it three times and two of those were when I scraped the DNA from an old fretboard.
Very few fretboards ever 'need' oil other than when actual work has been done to them like scraping or suchlike. There are those oddballs that need a wee dram every few years, but they're outliers. Even so, a little bit of neutral inert oil every once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. It can have an aesthetic effect, keeping things shiny and all that.

We now return you to your regular channel for the usual crazy bs this subject always brings forth...
The absolute truth. Well said.

Lester

Reaction score
There was a guy on this forum, years back, who claimed he used to rub a salami on his fingerboard to oil it. .:eek2:
I don't want to know what he does in private.

Oh yeah, and it protects the fretboard from those harmful UV rays.
I think the Suntan "oils" from back then were blended for the opposite effect. Like oil on a pizza in the oven to make sure the top browns.

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suntan "oils" from back then were blended for the opposite effect. Like oil on a pizza in the oven to make sure the top browns.
Made that mistake once.
Put on Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil and rode my bike from Whittier to San Onofre, spent the afternoon bodysurfing, then rode to San Diego the next day.

Red and blistered everywhere that wasn't covered by my shorts or hair... fortunately my neck didn't get burned.
I was completely screwed and unable to move for a week.

neoclassical

Reaction score
I don't want to know what he does in private.

I remember that stuff. The old ladies by the pool would use that or just mineral oil. They looked like leather saddle bags or beef jerky with shades and sunhats on their folding chairs.

dspelman

Reaction score
Long ago I had Pam Anderson rub her body over all of the fretboards on the guitars I owned at the time.

Haven't needed anything since.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long ago I had Pam Anderson rub her body over all of the fretboards on the guitars I owned at the time.

Haven't needed anything since.
Except maybe some Valtrex?

Latest Threads