English footballer jailed for 6 years for sexual activity with a 15 year old girl

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Adam Johnson jailed for six years - BBC News

This case has run for some time in this country, with the judgement given today.

Footballer Adam Johnson has been jailed for six years for grooming and sexual activity with a girl aged 15.

Sentencing the ex-Sunderland player, Judge Jonathan Rose told him he had abused a position of trust and caused his victim "severe psychological harm".

The judge told Johnson, 28, he had engaged in sexual activity with her knowing she was under 16.

Bradford Crown Court heard the sexual abuse happened in the footballer's Range Rover last January.

Judge Rose told the footballer, who played 12 times for England, that the girl had "suffered threats and thousands of abusive remarks" on social media.

Judge Rose told Johnson there had been "an abuse of trust - you are trusted by young fans to behave properly".

He said: "She had only just turned 15 when you began grooming her, because, as you were to admit, you found her sexually attractive."

At the start of his trial last month, Johnson had admitted grooming the girl and one charge of sexual activity. He was found guilty of sexual touching and cleared of one charge relating to another sexual act.

Judge Rose told Johnson he had had "every opportunity" to enter guilty pleas to the charges he finally admitted. He ordered the footballer to pay £50,000 of the prosecution's £67,132 costs.

Earlier, Dr Philip Hopley, a consultant psychiatrist giving evidence for the defence, told the court: "This is a man who, at the age of 28, is socially and psychologically immature."

The doctor said he found no evidence in Johnson of an attraction to pre-pubescent children or "sexual perversion".

Speaking after Johnson was sentenced, Det Insp Aelfwynn Sampson, of Durham Police, said: "Fame, celebrity and a position of power does not give you the right to break the law in pursuit of whatever you desire.

"This girl should have been safe but she was used by the public figure she looked up to most."

Outside the court, Gerry Wareham from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "Adam Johnson exploited a young star-struck fan, actively grooming her over a number of months in single-minded pursuit of his own sexual gratification."

Earlier, the court was told the player had lodged an appeal against his conviction for sexual activity with the girl.

He is due back in the dock this afternoon.

StonedCrow

Reaction score
This sickens me, he will probably do three if we are lucky, more likely to be closer to one with supervised GPS tagged release, not to mention that they will be served in protective custody because of not only the crime, but who he is.

He should of been given a minimum of 15 and in general population, somewhere like HMP Saughton, no special treatment because he likes to rape kids and kicks a ball about.

chazza

Reaction score
He won't serve the full six years, but his punishment will go on after he gets out.
He'll never play professional football again.
He'll be on the sex offender's register for the rest of his life.
He will be recognised and shunned wherever he goes.
His life of wealth and luxury is over.

StonedCrow

Reaction score
He won't serve the full six years, but his punishment will go on after he gets out.

He already has a bank account with over 7 figures in it, he will be lucky to be sent anywhere harder than minimum security, when he's released, he'll bugger off to Spain or somewhere else in Europe where he is not recognized and live his life of luxury. Remember Garry Glitter buggered off to South East Asia to avoid the stigmatism of the crime here, and to continue committing the crime overseas.

Sure he'll never play professional football again, but he has already made his millions, he doesn't need to play again financially, financially he is set for the rest of his life. His victim surcharge isn't even in the tens of thousands, it's in the thousands.

Nard

Reaction score

For some reason I'm not feeling any sympathy for him.

Let's hope Ched Evans doesn't get his conviction overturned by the appeal court. Footballers, and other sports stars, should realise they cannot do as they please and they are not above the law.

Guitarhack

Reaction score
I think there would be a lot less pain and suffering in the world if we just gave child molesters and rapist life without the possibility of parole.

In the US, offenders with multiple offenses or repeat offenders tend to get fairly lengthly sentences but first time offenders don't.

How many women or children have to be harmed for it to be enough.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double standard. Debra LaFave got probation for having sexual relations with a 14 year old male student.

The student's report card allegedly had the comment "plays well with udders".

lafave20_8col.jpg

sk8rat

Reaction score
ill just leave this here....:laugh2: NSFW
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XKGVwGEt4[/ame]

2crpz0z.png

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Double standard. Debra LaFave got probation for having sexual relations with a 14 year old male student.

The student's report card allegedly had the comment "plays well with udders".

lafave20_8col.jpg

I understand what you mean about 'double standards'. Here is a case from last year in the UK where a female teaching assistant sh*gged an under-age schoolboy 80 times and got pregnant, and was initially given a suspended sentence. That was later overturned on appeal to a two year prison sentence.

Teaching assistant Caroline Berriman who groomed boy jailed after suspended sentence deemed too lenient - Manchester Evening News

Johnson is a total idiot for not walking away once he knew her age, but it does appear that there is not a level playing field (no pun intended) in the British justice system...

Ed B

Reaction score

I thought of Chappelle immediately. :laugh2:

IMO there's no excuse for an older man to knowingly sleep with an underage girl.

I also go back to thinking about Vasco's other point about "the gatekeeper". At 14 years old boys and girls are making very grown up decisions. This wasn't about rape was it?

All in all I think a man should be punished for this. He should know better.

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
did not seem remorseful at all..

Seriously bizarre facade..way to wreck lives

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
I'm not sure why there shouldn't be a double standard in this area.

FUS44

Reaction score
Well, most young boys grow up praying this will happen. (well at least the blonde predator)
And most young girls will pray they are not prey.
Could be part of the double standard, me thinks.

NRBQ

Reaction score
The desire inside these people must be just enormous, because they are risking everything in their lives just for one sexual moment. It seems altogether crazy, I can't imagine playing a game with those kind of stakes. Bottom line, anyone that had a normal childhood with parents that were just good old folks that never abused them can thank their lucky stars because those that abuse the underage today were most likely abused during their childhood, and that's why the cycle continues.

I think back to growing up in the seventies and those men in my life that were mentors, coaches, family friends, what have you. I never one time had any adult in my life try to do anything that would be considered sexual or of that nature. Not one time ever, that should be the way it is for everyone, that should be normal life. My mother once told me that my personality would prevent such an aggression anyway, meaning I'd have screamed bloody murder if anyone tried that. I once walked out of my third grade class because the teacher kept shaking me when I'd answer her incorrectly. I was that kind of kid. Ran and hid, everyone was looking, the Police, my parents, the whole town, and I was in the bushes ten feet away. When they caught me I told them if she did it again I'd walk out again and again. Guess she go some trouble because she never even looked at me sideways again. Whoops, off track on a Friday. Watching Top Gear Vroooom!

Latest Threads