End of life visions

PeteK

Reaction score
I don't have time to watch the vid right now, but I know this subject comes up on Joe Rogan a fair amount. Or at least DMT does and how your brain can make you trip balls by releasing it. There have been studies that show people's bodies release DMT in large amounts before death. It's the same chemical thought to be responsible for dreams, so it only makes sense that it would be involved in any "visions" seen before death.

I know a few years ago my wife's grandpa was on his death bed. Hadn't opened his eyes or spoken for a week, and when he was speaking before that it was very hard to understand him as he had Parkinson's and lost a lot of his facial motor function. One day he just opened his eyes, sat up from his bed, saw his family in the room, sang "You are my sunshine" in it's entirety and clear as a bell and then laid back down and went back to sleep. He died later that night.

stringbender11

Reaction score
I read an article about 25 years ago about a guy who studied the near-death experiences of some criminals. What was interesting was that unlike the ones you read about of say your average person, who often describes a white light, or a tunnel, or feelings of joy and peace, these people felt terror, and saw flames and what many would imagine hell to be like. It (supposedly) caused some of these people to change their ways because they were so afraid of what would happen when they died now. It was a cool article to me in that it was very different from the typical ones you read on the subject.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the funeral this afternoon of a friend / neighbor / father of a good friend who was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier in the year. He had a rough go, but recently had been doing much better and I was back to seeing him putzing around in the garage and have a quick visit as I would drive by. Last Saturday they had a big 60th anniversary shindig at the river house with everybody in town to attend. Sounded like a really special day. A grand old time for all. He passed Monday.

I had a very special visit with my dad the last time I saw him. In keeping with how we both are, it was really more of a business meeting. All things sorted. Told him I was taking mom with me after (which I did). He asked me if he could go. I told him yes, you're done here, you did a great job. He positioned himself in a chair on the sunporch where he could wave and watch as we drove off. I got to the end of their long driveway and turned to my wife and said "wow, that was it". It was. My wife asked me if I wanted to turn around and go back up to the house. I told her "no, he choreographed all that exactly how he wanted and I don't want to mess it up".

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Without getting into too much of an out of bounds discussion on taboo topics, that video brought me a wonderful bit of peace. His talk about do these things originate in the brain or is the brain the mechanism that filters them was special. As one who was the primary caregiver through my mother's 15 year losing battle with Alzheimer's, it helped a lot. My mother didn't know who I was for her last three years. I watched her forget my father and think I was her husband. I watched her forget ever being married or remember anything she had done in her very accomplished life. I watched her forget who I was. That generates a lot of thought. I like how he sort of equates the brain to an amp. Just because your amp has a short in it and sounds all scratchy, doesn't mean you never knew how to play.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
*Spoiler*

So it turns out that everyone dies. A lot of people choose to pretend that it's not going to happen. Some people obsess about it. I've done both at different times in my life.

I've been watching some videos on YouTube of a man named Peter Fenwick. Dr Fenwick is a neuropsychologist who has devoted a large part of his life to the study of near death experiences and end of life phenomena. I will post a great video of a recent interview with him where he goes into some detail about the subject.

After watching a few of these I started wondering how common these end of life "visions" or experiences are. Do any of you have any stories that you were a witness to or were passed down in your family? I think that this is a very interesting part of life that isn't often discussed. If nothing else this video is very interesting and I found it to be pretty uplifting for a potentially macabre subject.

Wait,im gonna die..im not immortal?-crap :confused: :).

rogue3

Reaction score
This will soon move from conjecture to real accounts,in large numbers,the better we get at revival,i would think.

Your local Neuropsychologist in conjunction with your on duty Neurology group should collaborate. We have a mountain of data, as more and more people are brought back from life ending strokes with the retrievable stent. We are getting that good at it. This needs better study.The data is there today.

archey

Reaction score
This will soon move from conjecture to real accounts,in large numbers,the better we get at revival,i would think.

Your local Neuropsychologist in conjunction with your on duty Neurology group should collaborate. We have a mountain of data, as more and more people are brought back from life ending strokes with the retrievable stent. We are getting that good at it. This needs better study.The data is there today.
The second video that I shared is of a doctor named Christopher Kerr. He has been collecting first hand stories from the dying for several years now. They are releasing a documentary on the subject in February of 2020. I look forward to seeing it. Here is the trailer...

gadafi

Reaction score
Read an article a while back that some scientists think the soul may indeed continue to exist post death in as much as it melds back into the universe from whence it came as energy rather than remaining a conscious being sitting on a cloud playing a harp/LP and drinking a beer like we've all been promised...

WTF is the point of that then?