End of life visions

archey

Reaction score
*Spoiler*

So it turns out that everyone dies. A lot of people choose to pretend that it's not going to happen. Some people obsess about it. I've done both at different times in my life.

I've been watching some videos on YouTube of a man named Peter Fenwick. Dr Fenwick is a neuropsychologist who has devoted a large part of his life to the study of near death experiences and end of life phenomena. I will post a great video of a recent interview with him where he goes into some detail about the subject.

After watching a few of these I started wondering how common these end of life "visions" or experiences are. Do any of you have any stories that you were a witness to or were passed down in your family? I think that this is a very interesting part of life that isn't often discussed. If nothing else this video is very interesting and I found it to be pretty uplifting for a potentially macabre subject.

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanatos tv?

a little on the nose there, eh?

Interesting topic. I might check it out later, it's an hour long video

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
I'm 53, so hope I have some mileage left on me. If not, I'm content with where I'll end up. Without getting into areas we just don't go to on MLP, the short version is, "Don't be an asshole to other people, because that's more fun while I'm here than the opposite."

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Interesting subject. I watched the whole video.

maybe you'll be able to answer a question for me then

why does an 80 something year old man , have the shoulders of a linebacker ?

I bounced around on the video . it basically states that a person's experience will strongly be affected by their beliefs . in spirits / ghosts / angels / whatever . I can only hope that my death will seem like a very strong mushroom trip

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe you'll be able to answer a question for me then

why does an 80 something year old man , have the shoulders of a linebacker ?

I bounced around on the video . it basically states that a person's experience will strongly be affected by their beliefs . in spirits / ghosts / angels / whatever . I can only hope that my death will seem like a very strong mushroom trip
Too much starch in his jacket I guess. :laugh2:

archey

Reaction score
Well for those of you who are interested in the subject, here is another video. I like this one quite a bit because it's mostly interviews with the dying. So it's first hand accounts of the dreams that they were having before death.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Visions?

I'll guess it is made up of compounds released from the brain as it is dying. People may experience a different "whatever" at that time based upon their unique brain chemistry. Possibly influenced by medications they are taking / being given.

Near death or short term "clinically dead" may also be based upon their lifetime waking beliefs.

archey

Reaction score
Visions?

I'll guess it is made up of compounds released from the brain as it is dying. People may experience a different "whatever" at that time based upon their unique brain chemistry. Possibly influenced by medications they are taking / being given.

Near death or short term "clinically dead" may also be based upon their lifetime waking beliefs.
If you watch these, these doctors are definitely not making a case for the reality of the dreams. They are making a case for the reality of the significance in the dying person's death process. Especially being able to let go and die peacefully. It's worth watching. I wouldn't post a video that was trying to further some sort of spiritual agenda.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
I know exactly who and what I will see in my final visions.
ME TOO!!

A total orgy, with lactating Salma Hayek, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, and Winona Ryder (how she looked in Beetlejuice).. followed by a #1 from In-N-Out, Animal style! Fed to me, by regular Jennifer Lawrence.. wash it down with Salmas breastmilk, and then Winona takes a dump on my chest.. Fin.

(All with Enigma Sadeness playing in the background..)

Fade to black..

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
If you watch these, these doctors are definitely not making a case for the reality of the dreams. They are making a case for the reality of the significance in the dying person's death process. Especially being able to let go and die peacefully. It's worth watching. I wouldn't post a video that was trying to further some sort of spiritual agenda.
I appreciate your post for what it was / is. At this stage (57), I have some apprehension, but not fear. So be it.

I'll surely check them out. I'm not ready for an hour+ of deep thinking right now. Don't have much left - must ration them.

My post was about my own conjecture on the subject as an atheist. Makes perfect sense to me.

archey

Reaction score
I appreciate your post for what it was / is. At this stage (57), I have some apprehension, but not fear. So be it.

I'll surely check them out. I'm not ready for an hour+ of deep thinking right now. Don't have much left - must ration them.

My post was about my own conjecture on the subject. Makes perfect sense to me.
I personally would recommend the second video if you're going to devote the time to watching one.

archey

Reaction score
I'll watch both. As an atheist, I have it all figured out. :h5:
The reason the term "vision" is used is because a lot of these experiences happen in a state of lucid wakefulness, eventhough they can happen in dreams as well. Many report them as feeling as real as any other event in their lives. So while vision may frequently have some spiritual connotations, in this context it doesn't necessarily hold the same meaning. It's just a word used to describe the phenomena that isn't exactly always happening in an unconscious dream state.