Empire cancelled, any guesses why?

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The show's ratings were already dropping prior to the Smollett incident-- but Jussie may have put the kiss of death on his loudly-supportive fellow cast members.

Perhaps the execs at Fox are wondering if people can still watch Empire without being reminded of the whole Smollett deal... and the upcoming season will undoubtedly provide them with the answer to that question.

Perhaps they're concerned that advertisers might not see much benefit in running commercials for the hour that show is on, or something else like that which is never discussed outside of boardrooms until well after the fact (if at all).

Most of these decisions are a question of money, and who is willing to risk what.

But I know it's not *strictly* because of the ratings that the show is slated to end with Season 6.

Empire's entire audience loss amounted to 26.78% over the 2018-2019 season (with the last episode of Season 5 showing a loss somewhere near 40% or so for that episode)...

But for all that, "The Orville" lost even more: 40.34% of its audience ditched the show in the same year, with a greater percentage of year-to-year change than Empire... and yet, "The Orville" is being renewed.

Fox Television Series Ratings 2018-2019

All I can guess is that the execs who make these decisions for the network are trying to guess what will happen in the future, or otherwise seek to sway audience interest by means beyond the mere crunching of numbers.

If they thought it was doomed for sure, they'd have just cancelled it altogether. My guess is that they're waiting to see how it does in the 2019-2020 period. Sort of a hedging of bets, I'd say.

If the show puffs back up, they'll just cancel the cancellation and renew it.

--R

Last edited:

scott1970

Reaction score
Now Cheers was racist? Jeeze....

Cheers.

Cheers the show is considered soft racist, because after the show was finished Ted Danson wore blackface while dating Whoopi Goldberg.

Flashback: Ted Danson donned blackface at Whoopi Goldberg ...

That's one of those times in a person's life when they look back and wonder, "what in the world was I thinking???"

But I'm confident it has happened with every man who has dated Whoopi.
TTT

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ummm, might want to read that more closely. Season 5 is just ending. They're saying that it will end after the NEXT season, season 6. It has a full year to go...maybe.
Oh good. I can NOT watch it for a whole 'nother season :rofl:

Hamtone

Reaction score
I thought it was because the show sucked... I never watched it, but ill assume it sucked for very obvious reasons

EndGame00

Reaction score
They should have killed off Smollet's character when it got politically "hot"...

Oh well, no loss for me..

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like Uncle Jussie on Full House though... he played guitar...

alright I'm out of Uncle Jussie jokes.

Last edited: