'Emo' jokes

River

Reaction score
I would agree.. emo just takes that a step further, IMO. Hey I could be wrong but I find the emo thing to be a waste of time. Just another way to categorize music. If you look up some bands on Wiki.. they're listed as being as many as 4 styles of music.. WTF?? I guess I just don't get it.

Jeff
For me, it's transcended music. Maybe that's "neo-emo". :)

Mikeeeeh

Reaction score
Just the other day a car went by blasting Life of Agony. Hadn't heard them in ages. I always considered them to be some NY hardcore band, I did like the guitars back then. Thinking about that. They were pretty emo too considering what I remember from their lyrics. Does anybody remember those guys?

Nah man LOA are indeed NY hardcore... bunch of pot smoking mofos too as far as I know... Amsterdam is their favourite stop on tour! :dude:

bgyj

Reaction score
Pardon this old fart who wasn't raised during the Punk Era, although I saw many punk bands in my day, I'm still a little confused about the connection between Emo and Hardcore.

"When there’s no future how can there be sin
We’re the flowers in the dustbin
We’re the poison in your human machine
We’re the future your future

God save the queen we mean it man
There is no future in england’s dreaming

No future for you no future for me
No future no future for you "

Now would these be considered Emo lyrics?

My point really didnt have a lot to do with emo as much as it did fugazi sucks and the fact that when it came to bands that didnt have "hit records", I knew what I was talking about.

notoperational

Reaction score
My point really didnt have a lot to do with emo as much as it did fugazi sucks and the fact that when it came to bands that didnt have "hit records", I knew what I was talking about.

Fugazi is more post-hardcore than anything. Their not as punk as you think.

Apparently you don't. And dude, this isn't about teen agnst or me having some huge problem with anything. Its music that I like, its not something I'm gonna go "oh man, I used to listen to some bulllll shit when I was young." I'm 21, it isn't like I am some teenage douche on here. I guess you could say I was a halfway grown-up douche.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hufiwGlHSVI]YouTube - Bum Fights - Individual Parties[/ame]

05jrock

Reaction score
A song I just heard on the radio."It's cool to know nothing"

Is that emo?

bgyj

Reaction score
Fugazi is more post-hardcore than anything. Their not as punk as you think.

Apparently you don't. And dude, this isn't about teen agnst or me having some huge problem with anything. Its music that I like, its not something I'm gonna go "oh man, I used to listen to some bulllll shit when I was young." I'm 21, it isn't like I am some teenage douche on here. I guess you could say I was a halfway grown-up douche.

The "you will grow up someday thing was probably a little harsh". I goy sucked into that "you don't know what your talking about" comment. I don't mean to jabs at you personaly.

I have heard plenty of Fugazi, mostley their early stuff. Its not for me, and frankly their early stuff was very poorly put together. Hence, I felt they sucked donkey balls.

When Fugazi first came out they were considered punk. Nirvana was considered punk when they first came out, but I do not consider them punk. This is the same with Fugazi. My point was that I was hevely into the punk scene when their early stuff stated coming out.

I don't look back and say "wow, I was into some weird shit". I still like the music from my youth, Im just not big in the scene. Its hard to be punk rock with a wife and two kids.

Maybe Fugazi have evolved a little bit, hell I don't know. I do know that most of the kids I knew that dressed "Goth"(which seems to be the same as emo) were some pretty pathetic kids that were dying for attention.

notoperational

Reaction score
The "you will grow up someday thing was probably a little harsh". I goy sucked into that "you don't know what your talking about" comment. I don't mean to jabs at you personaly.

I have heard plenty of Fugazi, mostley their early stuff. Its not for me, and frankly their early stuff was very poorly put together. Hence, I felt they sucked donkey balls.

When Fugazi first came out they were considered punk. Nirvana was considered punk when they first came out, but I do not consider them punk. This is the same with Fugazi. My point was that I was hevely into the punk scene when their early stuff stated coming out.

I don't look back and say "wow, I was into some weird shit". I still like the music from my youth, Im just not big in the scene. Its hard to be punk rock with a wife and two kids.

Maybe Fugazi have evolved a little bit, hell I don't know. I do know that most of the kids I knew that dressed "Goth"(which seems to be the same as emo) were some pretty pathetic kids that were dying for attention.

Maybe I'll grow up one day too haha. It's all good man.

Did you ever listen through Repeater? That is my fav album by them (probably their most famous one).

bgyj

Reaction score
Like I said. I dont like them. I couldnt tell you one albumn from the next

captcoolaid

Reaction score

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a genre of music that originated from hardcore punk [1] and later adopted pop punk influences when it became mainstream in the US.
It has since come to describe several variations of music with common roots and associated fashion and stereotypes.

In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which stemmed from the Washington, D.C. music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington, D.C. scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon

In the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, when many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style.

In 2008, Time Magazine reported that "anti-emo" groups attacked teenagers in Mexico City, Querétaro, and Tijuana.[27][28] One of Mexico's foremost critics of emo was Kristoff, a music presenter on the popular TV channel Telehit.
Gerard Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance stated in an interview that "emo is a pile of shit", and that his band was never emo.[29] Panic at the Disco also stated in an interview with NME: "emo is bullshit."[30] These two bands, however, tend to be classified as emo.

Today popular bands like Fall Out Boy,[2] My Chemical Romance,[3] Panic at the Disco,[4] and Paramore[5] are described as emo despite playing a differing style of music from the previous emo bands.

didnt we call it goth in the 80's

specter1001

Reaction score
emo.jpg

something I found on someone's myspace page lol

Lampens

Reaction score
Since this thread is still around I thought about digging up some life of agony. (There's an emo bandname for ya lol)The lyrics are emo I guess but in a good way. The singer doesn't qualify as emo. he's got his hair sticking up, not hanging over one eye like a dead bird that crashed onto someones head. The riffs are fucking heavy. I really like the midtempo chugging. Was the song I heard some time ago. I have to dig up the album again. River runs red.
The guitarplayer is rockin a les paul btw.:thumb:

I'm not putting down life of agony. Just joking around. I liked them back in the day, still do after hearing this song again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads