EMG vs. Seymour Duncan

EEF13

Reaction score
I think you'd be happy with either, EEF. Seriously.....although people are making a big deal out of it, with either set you'll be able to dial in more crunch, and you'll have more sustain and a fatter tone.

ON a matched set you will save some money...if you go with both brands, you'll probably pay a bit more.

And.....despite the fact that I prefer the Blackouts (looks both ways to see if Wildestarr is comin...:p), the EMG's are easier to install, and the best basic package is probably that EMG 81/85 Zakk Wylde set.

(EDIT: Which makes me wonder: I'll bet Wildestarr would cut you a deal on 'em....)

I am gonna wait for the reviews of the EMG-X pickups to see what set i am gonna get

EEF13

Reaction score
sorry i didn't read it clearly. It does say more like passive

WildeStarr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks Wildstarr
More organic? does that mean they are gonna sound like a mix of active and passive?

I have not seen or heard them yet. I might have EMG send me a set to check out. I am interested.

:dude:

MrRhoads

Reaction score
I would love to try the EMG-SA-X in my Strat:)
And the EMG-85X in my Les Paul...
I like it when they try to do the actives more organic towards a passive, still we´ll have towait and see...

Yes please tone report

EEF13

Reaction score
i wonder if they are gonna meke them to handle the smae amount of gain?

beanhead

Reaction score
will blackouts maintain the "les paul sound" of a gibson better than EMGs? i love the distinction of BBuckers but they don't sound "clean" 100% of the time. i wanna go active, but which brand?

EEF13

Reaction score
will blackouts maintain the "les paul sound" of a gibson better than EMGs? i love the distinction of BBuckers but they don't sound "clean" 100% of the time. i wanna go active, but which brand?

I hear that the Blackouts are more organic like passive pickups than EMG's, but Emg came out with the X series which are supposed to be more organic that the regular ones. I don't know if it will maintain the Les Paul sound, but they are humbuckers so it will be close.

WildeStarr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I use the EMG 81/89R combination in both of my LP's. The LP along with EMG's are my sound. You really need try them and see for yourself.

Check out the new EMG Forum:

EMG User Forum • Index page

Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups, Since 1976

:thumb:

frankfalbo

Reaction score

I'm sure it's hard for my answer to be taken seriously because I work for Seymour Duncan, but that is specifically the feedback we've received on multiple occasions. The comment we hear often is that the EMG's have a more similar sound regardless of the guitar, and the Blackouts let more of the character of the particular guitar through. That's a dangerous statement for many reasons. First, you could have a dog of a guitar, and the EMG's could prove to be a better fit. Actually every guitar has pickups that work better than others. Second, it implies that there is something inherently "bad" about a pickup taking over and being very influential over the plugged in tone. Third, the truth is, I don't care what pickup you use, your guitar's tone will come through. If you really want to be closest to your LP tone, check out the Livewire Classic II's, or use the Livewire Classic II neck pickup along with the Blackouts Bridge pickup. That's becoming more popular all the time. Finally, I have not tried the EMG X series, nor has any of the people who have sent us those afforementioned comments.

The_Sentry

Reaction score

That's hard to say....that might depend on what you consider to be the Les Paul sound.... :confused:

Latest Threads