Email Gibson - Boycott Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.

calieng

Reaction score
I just posted this on the Gear Page. Please help here too if you are willing.

I am going to see if I can get any help on other forums too.....

For those of you not aware there is a developing issue that the finish on the Murphy Lab Gibson guitars is defective and starting to flake off. This is not just a mild effect but will eventually cause large areas of the finish to come off.

Gibson dealers have been quietly taking these guitars back but some are still selling the defective guitars and now some owners are trying to dump these guitars on the used market to unsuspecting buyers.

Would you be willing to support an outreach to Gibson to officially deal with this issue.

Please email [email protected] and say you want the Murphy Lab defective guitars officially recalled.

If you can help with this by simply sending an email you can show that this forum can make a difference.

Boycott Gibson until they do what is right.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Email sent, thx.

Edit: Truth is and was nicely stated in my email, I'm certainly not looking for an "official recall" of these guitars.

Only hoping for official and public acknowledgement of the finish issues and how they've already addressed them.

And also the preferred course of action for the buyers who are unfortunately experiencing the almost immediate finish issues due to defective dyes/processes/etc and obviously not the normally expected relic'd finishes for which the buyers bought them.

Last edited:

sd_guitars

Reaction score
I called them yesterday and they’re going to have their techs “take a look” at my guitar whenever I get around to sending it in. The customer service rep said it was his first time hearing of the issue

mdubya

Reaction score
I voiced my displeasure to Cesar Gueikian with their lawsuit attacks on other guitar companies that many of us also love, in addition to Gibson.

His response was to block me. :laugh2::lol:

That tells me all I need to know about the new boss.

I would not buy a new CS Gibson unless it was an incredible deal. I can think of a few shops with which that might happen.

I would commission a replica before I ever bought a new Gibson CS at retail.

JMHO.

I think finish issues on a relic'd guitar is a bridge too far to complain about. Again JMHO.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
That's ok. I will become Murphy Lab Cancel Culture....Not fair, not reasonable, a little unhinged. This is how I will spend my spare time for now....until the rest of the defects are pulled. Let's see if I can actually make a difference....probably not but I will at least try.

redking

Reaction score
The purpose of a recall is normally due to a safety issue. For that reason, I don't see why they shouldn't continue to deal with these instruments on a case by case basis - it sounds like they have been permitting returns up until now.

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
That’s puerile. What, are we going to burn our bras next?
If anyone can effectively boycott Gibson it’s the dealers, not the end costumer.
We should always fight for what's whithin our rights.
And we've yet to read a post about an unsolvable case of peeling MLs.
Most dealers seem to have been pretty decent so far.

But as an engineer, you must know how changes and actions take time the larger the company is. So I’m not sure what you expect from Gibson in the immediate short term.
They’ve never been know for their stellar costumer service.

Also, this is getting out of hand. It’s like Groundhog Day in here.
I feel really sorry for what happened with your purchases. I truly do.
But let that be a lesson to an early adopter glutton.
Maybe don’t buy the whole first batch at once next time?

mdubya

Reaction score
I mean, we ended up with plasticized nitro to stop the finish from checking.

We cried for authentic nitro that would crack and check and flake.

Now we are back to complaining about cracking and checking and flaking nitro.

They should include a certificate that finish degradation is to be expected and that if you do not want that, buy a non-relic'd, plasticized nitro guitar.

I know OP has deeper concerns here.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
The purpose of a recall is normally due to a safety issue. For that reason, I don't see why they shouldn't continue to deal with these instruments on a case by case basis - it sounds like they have been permitting returns up until now.
Maybe the finish flakes off onto your fingers and you then put those fingers in your mouth because the licks are so tasty. Eating nitro can't be healthy.

I agree with everything you wrote. They're not going to recall guitars. We should all dub these MLs pastry guitars for their flaky finishes.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
I guess it is too soon to wish for a perfectly faded to gold, sparkling burgundy with weather checking and greening? :hmm:

GearHo

Reaction score
The finish flaking is not consistent with an aged appearance, nor even close to vintage looking. Its a defect, period.

Gibson will rebound and lay low until the storm goes by, just like true historic, play authentic, and now flake-gate.

Calling and emailing them is pissing up a rope, dont waste your time, posting here and on other forums will get their attention more than busting on a poor customer service rep, you aint talking to JC, or Agnessi , or Koehler. And why would anyone want to, they dont know their ass from their pore fillers, and have now dragged Tom Murphys name into it via the "lab" bullcrap.

Its Gibson employees, that I choose not to bust on, they make great guitars in spite of Moe, Larry and JC Curleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads