Elon Musk:"If we aren't living in a computer simulation, then we're all going to die"

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I almost referenced that word as well. Carry on :facepalm:

He might be spot-on about humans interacting with AI in a couple hundred years but everything else, nope.

I'm crazy, nvm. :420:

This guy however, knows what he's talking about

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbBjNiw4tk

Worth the 42 minutes :)

:hmm:

I'll have to watch that when I find the time. Thank you.

Howard2k

Reaction score
That theory has been floating around for a couple of years. It's just as plausible as what the religion I grew up with taught us:dunno:

I liked the post, though I have to say that I believe it's actually MORE plausible that the universe is a simulation than that any specific religious doctrine is true.

From a pure logic perspective the two are not totally comparable are they?

The position that our universe is a simulation is based on an extrapolation of current data points. Sure it's incredibly loose, but it's still something that can be extrapolated. There is evidence that supports this, though it's obviously incredibly loose.

The position that a particular religion is true still cannot be extrapolated from the current data points we have. There's still no logical path to support Scientology (for example) as the real story of how/why we're here. It's still faith, it's still belief in the face of no evidence whatsoever, not even the most incredibly loose evidence.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-LFVHpA4s[/ame]

spitfire

Reaction score
The universe appears to be defined by a base set of physical principles. Everything from suns, planets, to people developed based on those rules.

So perhaps some entity (God, super AI, whatever), set the universe up (a simulation), but did it with these specific rules, and everything else was allowed to happen.

So a simulation perhaps, but not down to actively "coding" all the details. If it is something like this, I think I'd argue there is no real difference between reality and simulation. It really is just how the rules of the game were created, something natural, maybe even randomly created, or a set of rules intentionally created for this universe.

Is there really a difference for us and this universe?

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
pyramid-man.jpg

crossroadsnyc

Reaction score
This has been one of my favorite subjects since I first read Nick Bostrom's Simulation Hypothesis (in fact, i had started a thread on it on the MF back in 2011 which i update periodically). Good stuff :yesway:

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
I thought we were just pawns in the game of life...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10[/ame]

NashvilleCat

Reaction score
I just love all this existential stuff. I think the question is not 'what exists" but "how does it exist". Now back to contemplating a bacon sandwich..mmmmmm.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I'm not a physicist, so I could be way off, but wouldn't the inherent uncertainty in particle physics/quantum mechanics preclude any computer simulation? Computer code is rigid yes/no either/or black/white with no ambiguity. Things like the Schroedinger's Cat dilemma would cause machine logic to go haywire.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
The real question is, what does Musk know that we do not know, and yet cannot come right out and tell us about.

Tazz3

Reaction score
We live in the matrix lol,some times there is an error in it,qnd u say what the hell
Like the other day i was going in the store i saw this chick with an empty cart
Walking to her car so i was in there anout 15 mins. And i came out and i was siting in my truck i saw the same chick with and empty cart walking to her car

James Carney

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I read a lot about this theory in 2014.

Maybe it's just because I'm a software engineer, but the thing that really shattered my mind, was that the most likely evidence of this being a simulation is how quantum fluctuations and subatomic phasing proves things are different when observed verses not observed - and this is how you would save on the power needed to run the simulation. When creating applications and websites, this is exactly how you save on memory and processor cycles, by only rendering visible objects when they are accessed for viewing.

That also opens the idea, we are literally rendering the universe by merely observing it, and can it exist without any viewers...?

Dica

Reaction score
I Highly recommend that you guys read Nick Bostroms Superintelligence.
That is a mind bending book.

DADGAD

Reaction score
So if we have become self aware, then WE are Skynet!!!!

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The real question is, what does Musk know that we do not know, and yet cannot come right out and tell us about.

He has the codes to the Zion Mainframe.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I drove a Tesla a few weeks ago, nice car, really fast, quiet & muscular.

Did not feel like a simulation, but if it was, it was a damn good one.

Latest Threads