Elon Musk - Gangsta's Paradise

Tone deaf

Reaction score
It looks like he is going to cry in the video when he gets criticized. That said, I can't argue with his success. As I have said many times, I don't understand the basis upon which his company is valued, but he is the richest guy on the planet (IIRC). So, he is doing something right. While I don't know much about him, there are many things that he has done that I have learned from. Perhaps the most important is ignoring the limitations that others assume exist.

dspelman

Reaction score
It looks like he is going to cry in the video when he gets criticized. That said, I can't argue with his success. As I have said many times, I don't understand the basis upon which his company is valued, but he is the richest guy on the planet (IIRC). So, he is doing something right. While I don't know much about him, there are many things that he has done that I have learned from. Perhaps the most important is ignoring the limitations that others assume exist.
Musk has impacted my thinking process. He loves to talk about "first principles" thinking.

A first principle is a basic proposition or assumption that cannot be deduced from any other proposition or assumption. In philosophy, first principles are from First Cause attitudes and taught by Aristotelians, and nuanced versions of first principles are referred to as postulates by Kantians.

IOW, while most advances in a random industry are built by improving on an existing product or principle, first principle thinking starts with core ideas and moves on to ways of implementing them https://medium.com/the-mission/elon-musks-3-step-first-principles-thinking-how-to-think-and-solve-difficult-problems-like-a-ba1e73a9f6c0

“Good ideas are always crazy until they’re not.” - Musk

Three businesses he's begun from core principles include Paypal, Tesla and SpaceX.

Tesla is, in my mind (and Musk's) overvalued on the stock market. But it, more than any other company, has flipped the switch on electric cars.

For nearly half a century, people assumed that going to space was difficult and expensive. SpaceX is attacking those and a lot of other assumptions regarding space flight, and crazy ideas like recovering boosters and reusing them to make it cheaper to launch satellites are now the norm. Lately he advanced the idea of *catching* the boosters rather than having them land on their own legs. By catching them on the launch pad, the boosters can be lighter (no legs) and can be in position to be fueled and re-launched within hours. You can't invest in SpaceX at the moment, but that company is increasing in valuation exponentially.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Musk has impacted my thinking process. He loves to talk about "first principles" thinking.

A first principle is a basic proposition or assumption that cannot be deduced from any other proposition or assumption. In philosophy, first principles are from First Cause attitudes and taught by Aristotelians, and nuanced versions of first principles are referred to as postulates by Kantians.

IOW, while most advances in a random industry are built by improving on an existing product or principle, first principle thinking starts with core ideas and moves on to ways of implementing them https://medium.com/the-mission/elon-musks-3-step-first-principles-thinking-how-to-think-and-solve-difficult-problems-like-a-ba1e73a9f6c0

“Good ideas are always crazy until they’re not.” - Musk

Three businesses he's begun from core principles include Paypal, Tesla and SpaceX.

Tesla is, in my mind (and Musk's) overvalued on the stock market. But it, more than any other company, has flipped the switch on electric cars.

For nearly half a century, people assumed that going to space was difficult and expensive. SpaceX is attacking those and a lot of other assumptions regarding space flight, and crazy ideas like recovering boosters and reusing them to make it cheaper to launch satellites are now the norm. Lately he advanced the idea of *catching* the boosters rather than having them land on their own legs. By catching them on the launch pad, the boosters can be lighter (no legs) and can be in position to be fueled and re-launched within hours. You can't invest in SpaceX at the moment, but that company is increasing in valuation exponentially.
Agreed.

Latest Threads