Elixir Style Coated Strings

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've always used Elixir coated strings on all my guitars since I've been playing. They last awhile so I don't typically buy them often. I was wondering if there was another brand who made a similar coated string. Elixirs are nice but they're not cheap. I change them 1-2 times a month depending on how much I play. I get these ones for my electrics.

Baseballhack

Reaction score
I recently put a set of EB Paradigms on a recent LP purchase. I like them, not sure if I like them better than elixir's. The paradigms seem to have a less slick feel to them than the elixir's. Tone wise I am not sure of the difference as this is the first set of strings on this particular guitar.

bungle

Reaction score
That’s a lot of string changes. Especially for coated strings. :dunno:

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s a lot of string changes. Especially for coated strings. :dunno:
I only change once a month on my favorite LP since I like to clean the fretboard. It's ebony and I feel like it gets dirty easier, at least IMHO. My others get changed much less frequently. Probably every 3 months or so.

jkes01

Reaction score
I use polywebs, last longer than the nanos for me at least.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and try a set of NYXL's and a nice set of pure nickels, just to hear what else is out there.

I ran Elixir's for years, now they only ride on long term storage guitars. They last and are smooth but only sound good under monsterous amounts of distortion.

jktxs

Reaction score
Is it just me or do Elixirs feel tenser than regular strings of the same gauge?
Used nanos for many years, was surprised by how much easier my guitars played after restringing with regular D'addarios.

moreles

Reaction score
I'm another ex-Elixir user. Love the noiseless touch and they last OK, but I really do experience loss of sensitivity and find that while they stay lively, it's with more fundamental and less harmonics than I like (and I don't do excess treble, so it's not that). Also, I outgrew the killer sweats and no longer experience much crud buildup, so I find that really good strings, installed and stretched properly, really last pretty well unless I play a ton, live, but I'd be changing strings anyway for that. For me, Elixirs are "close, but still no cigar." The other coated strings I've tried are the same, but worse, with the exception of Dean Markley Alchemy (for acoustic) which somehow sounded better on my Collings than any other string, coated or uncoated. No longer made.