Elixir Strings...

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
Is it worth paying the extra money to get these strings or should i just stick with getting normal (non-coated) strings?

MesaBoogie

Reaction score
A big YES. They easily last 3x-4x longer than regular strings. It's great if you've got a lot of guitars :naughty:

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
Thank You. Very cool. And the coating doens't affect tone, correct? Does it affect the sound it makes when you rub your hand on the strings with normal strings? As in like dive bombs and schtuff.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The biggest effect I have seen on tone with Elixers (which I run on every last one of my guitars) is that it doesn't deteriorate..... EVER! I've had Elixers on some guitars which I play infrequently for well over a year. They still sound the same as they did on day one - and are still fresh and clean, no rust or corrosion.

I can't recommend them highly enough. I'll never "go back."

MesaBoogie

Reaction score
As Dice said: a big no, it doesn't affect the tone. In fact to me it feels like the strings are already "broken in".

I'll never "go back" either.

Grtz,

Mesa.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I prefer the feel as well. Regular strings feel "rough" to me - the thin coating on the Elixers (Nanowebs - by the way) make the strings feel almost "lubed." Comfort factor increased, IMO.

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome, the only thing i was really worried about was the action, like on slides and divebombs. But if you guys say that it doesn't affect that then i'm definately ready to try them out.

MesaBoogie

Reaction score
I prefer the feel as well. Regular strings feel "rough" to me - the thin coating on the Elixers (Nanowebs - by the way) make the strings feel almost "lubed." Comfort factor increased, IMO.
Indeed, they don't "squeal" as much as others.

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
I've tried Elixir a few times and they do keep their tune/intonation longer than non coated strings. However, I do lots of bends and I break my high strings before I wear them out...so, I'm back to using my more economical EB like I've done for over 40 years and replace the set when it breaks or before a gig.

MrRhoads

Reaction score
I tried Elixir about 5monhts ago.
Didn´t even had time to break them in the high e string broke during a brutal bend:(
Soundwise they we´re ok, didn´t get the time to play them that long.
For me they´re not worth the money...
But, You never know until you´ve tried them yourself;)

will c

Reaction score
I think they're great strings. Especially the nanowebs.

Will

peter679

Reaction score
I had them on my Taylor 12 string, and man they were amazing! Never lost that sound.. amazing strings.

P

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
AXE Approved and used: :thumb:

opalburn

Reaction score
i really like them on my acoustics... but never really used them on my electrics... kinda have a thing about changing strings after only 2 or 3 gigs sometimes, and elixirs would be way too expensive for that... so i stick with me ol' trusty d'addarios.. tho i might need to try them on my strat since that just stays at the house and only gets played every once in a while...

5F6-A

Reaction score
I never liked them...they always feel weird to me....

John

Reaction score
I really like them on my Taylor acoustics...
on my acoustics, they have a sort of bright tone (when I tried some other random strings, they were ok..but they had a less lively and bright sound) that I happen to like.. a lot.
they don't wear as fast, but it can be a bummer sometimes when the higher strings break-- usually out of bends or, in my case, even by just trying to go tune them..
theyre a bit pricey I'll admit, but I'm not worried about that at the moment.. (I got a 12 pack of elixirs for free, so I'll be a happy camper about that for now. lol.)

Lungo

Reaction score
I used Elixers for a few years and thought they sounded good and enjoyed not changing strings as often. I tried DR Tite Fits about a year ago and suddenly the Elixers sounded dead and lifeless in comparison. I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm going to keep using the Tite Fits even with having to change strings every 2 weeks.

zplapplap

Reaction score
As long as we're talking nanoweb, hell yes, it's worth it.

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
It sounds like you sacrifice some tone for the long lasting aspect. Not sure if i'd wanna do that

Latest Threads